Mineral Powder & Bee Max dosing after WC?

wot_fan

I set up my first shrimp tank yesterday.  I dusted the bottom of the tank with Benibachi Mineral Powder and Bee Max before adding ADA Amazonia substrate.  I am unsure how to properly use these two products now.  When I do a water change, how much of each product should I add to the tank?

The site I purchased them from states I should use one of the supplied spoonfuls for my 20 gallon tank when I do a water change.  Shouldn't the amount of water I change determine how much I use?  Is there any danger in using too much of either of these products?  Should I be adding these after water changes during the cycling period or can I wait until right before I add shrimp to the tank?

I am not sure if it matters, but I will be adding a shrimp mineral rock as well as BorneoWild Bee Balls to the tank.

I really appreciate any advice or comments.

You can use the Bee Max as a food or a bacterial booster, it doesn't matter how much water you change, the stock load is more important as the shrimp will eat it. The mineral powder is meant to be a supplement for your shrimp as they use minerals in the water in their day to day life, breeding & moulting, etc. I would use the recommended dose only every week or two. :thumbsu:

• Like 1

Thanks Squiggle.  I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Being a newbie (and not too bright ;-) ) I would be lost without knowledgeable people like you that are willing to share their wisdom.

Based on your comments, it doesn't sound like I need to worry about adding more Bee Max or mineral powder until the tank is done cycling and I am ready to add shrimp.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

for ada amazonia soil, you need daily water change for the first 9 days, because the high ammonia
after that u could raise the tds and add the bacteria each weekly waterchange

if you want faster cycle, u need to add plant, that's how the hobbyist cycle without bacterial products

• Like 1

Thanks salvanost.  I filled the tank for the first time 2 days ago.  Yesterday I did a 90% water change.  I was planning on doing 50% changes every other day.  I'll follow your advice and do them daily instead.  Should I change more than 50%?

I was planning on seeding the tank today with squeezings from on of the canister filters on my 65G planted tank.  Should wait until the daily water changes are complete?

Thanks again.

alternate days wc would be good idea too, just focus on reducing the ammonia for the first week, maybe 80% wc, after that u could switch to 50% wc

be carefull with messing the soil when wc, could cause ammonia spike,

after the 9 times wc, u could start adding bacterial with weekly wc,

just remember the filter media could contain bugs,

in my case, my breeding sponge got some seed shrimp and lot's of worms
sure it's very effective, but i hate the bugs spreading to new tanks

i don't see any development for the first 2 month,
i rarely wc, test 4 differents bacterial products, each product tested for 2 weeks

at 3rd month, while the ammonia still high i add plant, and 2 weeks after that the ammonia suddenly become 0

my friend often wc his tanks, got cycled before month 2

the advantage for waiting so long, after cycle, there is lot of biofilm(could be the sign of cycled tank too), really good for baby shrimp, and good for the worms and bugs too LOL, restrict feeding won't control the population, because they could just eat the biofilm

Edited by salvanost
  • Like 1

Thanks solvanost.  I knew going into this that ADA aquasoil leeched ammonia but I didn't realize how much and for how long. 

Based on your comments I am reconsidering seeding the tank.  There is no need to finish cycling the tank quickly if I am still going to have to wait for the biofilm to form.  This will also give the plants and moss I am adding time to grow a little.  I will do my best to have some patients.

Thanks again for the info.  I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

I used the bacteria additive under the soil in my initial setups, then after week 8 I started to add it weekly.

Same with mineral powder, after week eight, I add small amounts weekly.

Will be good to see you progress updates. Hope the cycle goes quickly for you!!

Thanks newbreed.  The sooner I can add some shrimp to the tank, the better.  How long did it take to cycle the tanks you have put bacteria additive under the soil?

I started a thread in the Tank Journals forum.  You can check on my tank's progress there if you are interested.

• Like 1

I ran my sump standalone for around a month before plumbing it into my rack, another two weeks from then. 6 weeks to be safe.

This was all fresh media though. Next time I will use some cycled media in the mix to speed it up.

• Like 1

From my experience, 6 weeks is about average to cycle a tank.  It will be interesting to see how much the ADA substrate slows down the process.  

I decided to risk bringing hitchhikers into the tank and squeezed one of the sponges from a canister filter into the tank tonight.  Since I have added plant clippings from my community tank, I have already exposed the new tank to anything that is in my established tank.  Besides, I really want to be able to add shrimp as soon as possible ;-)

• 1 month later...

From my experience, 6 weeks is about average to cycle a tank.  It will be interesting to see how much the ADA substrate slows down the process.  

I decided to risk bringing hitchhikers into the tank and squeezed one of the sponges from a canister filter into the tank tonight.  Since I have added plant clippings from my community tank, I have already exposed the new tank to anything that is in my established tank.  Besides, I really want to be able to add shrimp as soon as possible ;-)

u could do this through a brine shrimp net to avoid anything getting in your tank

Hows your cycle going?

Edited by shrimpstan

u could do this through a brine shrimp net to avoid anything getting in your tank

Hows your cycle going?

Thanks, that is a good idea.  I'll use it on my next tank :wink:.

My tank just finished cycling.  I ordered some yellow/orange rilis that will hopefully ship today and be delivered tomorrow.  I have a thread going in the shrimp tank journals section if you are interested in the details or want to see pics.

Thanks again.