random green tinge

Tankeyone

hi guys, was doing a water change a couple of nights ago and noticed one shrimp kicking around that appeared to have a very subtle green tinge. 

This is in a tank with 15 red cherries by themselves, and while I've only had them a few weeks I'm quite confident they were not in contact with any other colour shrimp in the months before that. I don't remember seeing even a hint of green when I picked them up, but there were a few juvi's that were quite clear/washed out. 

I kind of like the idea of breeding a green line. 

What have I got and how would you recommend I proceed from here?  

NB: Apologies for the lack of pictures I've been distracted with a problem in one of my other tanks that's killed two algae eaters, most likely worms of some description (best way I can think to describe them is tiny white 3mm worms on glass, that look like fine pieces of lint from a cloth). I'll pull the green cherry out and try to get some pics asap. 

If you want to line breed the green, it is best to buy some more greens from another breeder/s. Breeding back to your reds or other colours will just dilute your genetics and its unlikely that you will end up with green offspring.

I assume by algae eaters that you mean the fish -siamese algae eaters. The worms on your glass sound like free living nematodes or possibly planaria. Parasitic worms live inside or on the skin of fish, and cant survive away from their host. Its extremely unlikely that the worms on your glass have anything to do with the death of your fish. Have you checked your water parameters lately? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, pH, temperature? Is there a problem with your filter or pump?

Hi Fishmosy, thanks for the advice, much appreciated. 

regards fish dying, I'm waiting on a test kit to arrive so ammo/nitrite/nitrate is unknown at this stage, I've been doing weekly 30% water changes, rinsing filter media in tank water about once a months but not touching bioballs or ceramics, just the fine 'floss' to prevent it slowing down the flow too much.
PH is stable at 7.2, temp stable at 25c. added two new dwarf gourami two weeks ago and have had problems since. 

Could have been something I had on my hands when I fed them though, I dunno.
I'm taking this an abject lesson in the necessity of quarantine and strict adherence to usage of it, and to ensure my hands/equipment is clean before I even think of touching the tanks. 

Edited by Tankeyone