How about shrimp in Australia?

Shrimpmaster

Hi,

I like this forum and try to contribute from time to time. But could someone explain me a little bit about the shrimp in Australia?

For example in a other topic:

Too bad we don't have any true PRL here is Aust. ME WANT!!!

But you do have like Shadow Bee (Taiwan bee) and such right? Is it impossible to import shrimps to your country? Or is it prohibited for just a few years and was it allowed before?

If someone could elaborate this a little for me I would be happy :thumbsu: 

It's impossible to import shrimp into the country, what we have around is either from before the ban on importation or the product of people smuggling them in illegally.

They have never & will never be legal to import, they are considered a biohazard & to this day are still technically illegal to keep. :sad:

That's why we don't get the quality of the shrimps people get overseas. But through selective breeding we will get there one day.

It has made us very good at these skills however. Being almost like pioneers in the hobby. With prices of some shrimp being so expensive and rare, you better know how to look after them well. And it's given birth to forums like SKF. We are a small community, and we NEED to support each other.

And it certainly shows on this forum.

This is the only forum where I have not seen people use the term "use the search function", but instead the members take the time to explain things very carefully, even if it's the 100th time it was asked. Questions are welcomed, even if it seems simple and bordering on silly to ask. Generosity is in plentiful here. And some people can count on SKF, you buy 10 shrimp but end up getting 11 !!  :lolu:

Similar to shrimp, Buces are also on the "no import" list. The limited specimens here in Australia got into the country by mysterious means.

When I started collecting them, some Buces were so rare, they cost $400 - $500 for a small cutting.  :money:

• Like 2

Wow. I understand why they have these rules, but it's also hard for the keepers. But you're right, this force you to better understand selecting and breeding & keeping of shrimp.

But they don't take them from you or give you a fine since it's technically illegal to keep them?

I remember an article about a guy in Australia with a big shrimproom/basement. I guess he sells them too, so I thought it was allowed.

Thanks for the info everybody. I suspected something like this, but did not know about the details.

It has given us some great inspiration to aim for breeding outcomes of pinto strains, red bolts, blue jelly, green hulk and other strains not found readily.

Some shops openly sell shrimp but it seems that if the shrimp are bred and exchanged within the hobby there is leniency. But if brought into the country there is real potential for fines and even imprisonment.

Luckily we have some keepers with amazing abilities as breeders whom have showed the rest of us how to get the best from our shrimp. This forum is amazing for new keepers to understand how to provide the right environment for shrimp and it's great to be able to ask silly questions without fear of being talked down to.

This is also where international experience and input is vital to helping keeping our hobby strong. It's wonderful to see the successes overseas and to give us goals to aim towards.

• Like 3

I remember an article about a guy in Australia with a big shrimproom/basement. 

That was Dean, he started SKF but decided to take a break from the hobby earlier this year. That's when I took over the forum.

We also have some very nice native shrimp here in OZ and with Dave (Aquagreen) coming on board as a sponsor it's going to be great news for us in terms of getting more information about the locals.

• Like 1

This is the only forum where I have not seen people use the term "use the search function", but instead the members take the time to explain things very carefully, even if it's the 100th time it was asked. Questions are welcomed, even if it seems simple and bordering on silly to ask. Generosity is in plentiful here. And some people can count on SKF, you buy 10 shrimp but end up getting 11 !!  :lolu:

Oh i dunnoooooooo i am still looking for a cull TB to buy lol :P