Cholla Cactus Logs

buck

Cholla Cactus Logs, who's using them and where are you getting them.

I’m thinking about getting some but I can only find them overseas and I’m sus they will be a customs issue

$_12.JPG

Never heard of them, but they look cool. Being essentially wood, they are unlikely to be allowable imports.

• Like 1

If looking for a similar aesthetic alternative, a hollow driftwood log could be drilled to suit your tastes. I assume there isn't any other reason to put it in shrimp tanks?

There was other reasons, of the top of my head it was because they break down faster then normal dw and the shrimp can feed on them easier, so there kind of like a longer term IAL

Never heard of them, but they look cool. Being essentially wood, they are unlikely to be allowable imports.

yep that's basically how I think it will go down

Yeah keepers overseas always get the cool stuff :unhappy:  :unhappy:

However we get the awesome Aus native shrimp which can compete with the best of the best wild types from overseas  :lolu: ...

except maybe Sulawesi shrimp....

which we cant have

:unhappy:  :unhappy:

We have cholla wood here in pet stores. It's used in reptile enclosure generally.

Was told at local lfs that wholesaler stated it wasn't safe to use in aquaria. Think it would need to be treated. Boiled a lot and soaked prior to use.

Great for shrimp and shrimplets to find cover in!! Would love to try some but am hesitant as I don't fully understand how best to treat it prior to use!!

I use cholla wood in all of my shrimp tanks, just boil it like any other drift wood and youll be fine... I have even used it with out boiling it

• Like 1

still searching for cheaper one...

really hard to get it cheap

1 cholla wood weight around 40grams

so it's really hard to order more than 25logs (more than 1 KG)

Wow. We are around $20 AUD for a 6 inch piece. Supply, demand and availability!!!

Saw a three foot piece for $60 AUD. Think I may have to get it and cut it down.

Will do the boiling treatment and test on a cull tank first. (Super cautious)

yeah, i'm order from usa too

got 3$ each log + 20$ shipping fee

i find some shop sell 1.5$ but the shop cannot ship to outside of US

and... mexico, you can get 1 log for under 1$

but it's still not good, because when it get shipped to US first, the price raise to 1$ each log(because shipping cost)

Wow. We are around $20 AUD for a 6 inch piece. Supply, demand and availability!!!

Saw a three foot piece for $60 AUD. Think I may have to get it and cut it down.

Will do the boiling treatment and test on a cull tank first. (Super cautious)

wow $20 for 6 inch pice?!! I have a fortune in my closet lol

• 1 month later...

You should try send a few sticks through.....tick all the right boxes and see what happens. I suspect anything already here would have been treated with methyl bromide. That is why they said it's not safe for use in the aquaria.

There was an aquarium shop in Brisbane got a huge box of them recently, I hope he gets another haha he was doing them for 2x$10 good sized logs too. I think hes sold out now, my shrimp have been loving them

How do you add pics? I can send a pic of them when I was waiting for them to sink.

If you use an external image hosting website like photobucket you up load it to there then when you post a reply click on the little icon of a polaroid with tree in it then paste the URL to your photo (direct link) then it will display here :)

• 2 weeks later...

just realize, when you cut it into small pieces/coin

and spread it to the tank, it would become good hiding spot for shrimplet

I have one in my tank! Bought it during the Australian Ornamental Fish & Reptile Show in Sydney. Shrimps love to graze on it and makes a good hiding space. Its function is just for shrimps to graze like leaf litter. I boiled mine prior to use but seller tells me it is ok to use it without treating it.

Paul at Pauls Aquarium in Brisbane had/has some Cholla wood if anyone's still looking.

I've got a few pieces, only one in the shrimp tank so far and I have to say, the advice given to me by Pauls' offsider when i picked it up was gold, because I didn't realise it slimes up if you don't soak it thoroughly. 

So process is boil for an hour or until it sinks, let it stand for a few days in a bucket of water, change the water daily and rinse the wood daily until there is no longer a slimey coating on the wood. 
The first day for mine the slime had coalesced into a layer on top of the water and when I put my hand into what i thought was just a bit of dirty water it stuck all over my hand like a giant nose bogie. 

after a couple days the water was crystal and no slime, so I shoved some moss in the gaps of the timber and popped it into a tank and the shrimplets love it. plenty of grazing area that their parents cant get to.