Disciples Tank Journal

Disciple

Hey mate,

Don't trust API's test kit too much. For example: if you are using aquasoil and you did not flush the water, the pH should be way below 5. If it is showing as alkaline, then something is not right (unless you dumped a lot of strong alkaline buffer in).

Thank Shrimpy Daddy,

I figured something was up when it came up high ph lol.

Actually, I have another curious question.

I thought people who sell B-4 will ask you to go for non-ammonium leeching substrate? But I saw that you are using ADA AS. Is it you buy the substrate and B-4 from different places? LOL!!! Just take note that if you are using ADA AS, you will have to follow ADA AS cycling method and not the B-4 cycling method. ;)

Edited by Shrimpy Daddy

I see. It was not mentioned to me when I purchased the products. I did buy the products from different places but I explained that I was going to use ADA AS.

Lol I doing it all wrong.

Usually B-4 seller will tell you to use non-ammonium-leeching substrate and put in the shrimp after 3 to 7 days of cycling. This is to justify it's $60 price tag.

No worries, you are doing fine. Just follow the usual method of cycling ADA AS. ;)

I was whatsapped a set of instructions on how to use the product to cycle the tank. As you say they are quite interesting claims about the product so I was curious to see how it would go lol.

I will just carry on cycling as per your article. Thank you for the advise.

LOL!!! You may try what they recommended. But try it on Neo or other cheap and hardy shrimp first. ;)

Nah I don't think I'll put in shrimp until at least 4 weeks and when I do it'll be some red rili culls :S if they are ok I'll start bringing the rest over.

Nah I don't think I'll put in shrimp until at least 4 weeks and when I do it'll be some red rili culls :S if they are ok I'll start bringing the rest over.

That's great!! No point to rush and kill the shrimp. :(

That's great!! No point to rush and kill the shrimp. :(

Nah I will make sure it is fully cycled before I add shrimp even if it takes longer I just want everything to be perfect.

• Like 1

Day 7 cycle

post-1014-0-45075000-1427643189_thumb.jp

Looks like the ph is where it's suppose to be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Day 16 cycle

post-1014-0-62947300-1428405024_thumb.jp

After thinking I had somehow stalled the cycle i did a 10% water change and I have finally found nitrites and nitrates showing up.

I also tested the gh and kh. Gh looked like it changed at 4 but definitely 5 and the kh changed at 1.

My Tds was 135 a couple of days ago but since the nitrites and nitrates appeared it has jumped to 155. I found this interesting as I have not added anything to the tank since the cycle started. Just wondering if the increase in tds is actually the nitrites and nitrates showing up?

I also wanted to increase the gh to 5 but would like my tds to stay around 150. I guess once my cycle it complete I'll have to do a large water change with ro water.

I was also trying to work out my calcium ratio but it seems that the calcium tester changes colour after one drop so I'll need to get my self a bigger vial so I can get a more accurate reading.

So it looks like I am halfway there next update I will be setting up my air pump to run my sponge filters!

post-1014-0-62947300-1428405024_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Hi Disciple,

Don't bother to control the TDS. TDS value itself is pretty meaningless. Just make sure all nutrients are enough. 

Edited by Shrimpy Daddy

Now I really wished I got your products through lol

LOL!!! Come HK. LOL!!!

Actually, I'm in SG now. I should have told you earlier and you could fly over here, which is nearer to Perth.

By the way, your TDS jump is due to ADA AS leeching stuffs. Don't worry too much. Are you adding alkaline buffer to bring the pH above 6.6? 

Once you are done with cycling, you should flush your water (80% WC) one week before putting the shrimp in. This will reset our water parameters and also additional dissolved stuffs. As such, don't think too much about the water parameters except keeping the pH up.

I was using some Potassium Bicarbonate to raise the PH but I stopped after 7 days cause i wasn't sure it the ADA was a Strong buffer or not.

LOL I am trying to get a hold of your products. I might try order it to my inlaws in SG and get them to bring it to me when they come for a holiday or hold it until I can go collect it. In the mean time I am doing some research to work out some things to use as subsitute.

I hope you are enjoying Singapore.

Ok I wont worry about tds and once the cycle is completed I will do 80% water change before putting some of my expendables in.

Thank you for the advise yet again :D

ADA AS is the strongest buffering substrate available. LOL!!!

Don't order too in advance. My products are preserved naturally and have shorter shelf-life.

I don't enjoy the country but I do enjoy the food and fresh air very much. :D

I agree with the food but Fresh Air??!?!? Lol

I think we are spoilt in Australia lots of nice fresh air.

So should I now continue to bring the ph up until the cycle is done? Cause right niw it is 6.4-6.6

Dude... It is all relative. SG's air is definitely can't compare to your home in Perth and my home in Hokkaido. But it is way much better than HK and China. LOL!!!

If it is stabilised at 6.4 to 6.6 then ignore it. However, don't trust chemical test kit. To measure ph, use a pH pen or probe. If you don't own one, buy one. It will save your shrimp's life. ;)

Edited by Shrimpy Daddy

Very true lol

I like sg for holidays but I don't know if I could live there. I think sg already has too many ppl I can't imagine what Hk or China is like.

I will get myself a good ph pen next well maybe after I get some nice shrimp to celebrate the cycling of the tank lol I know I should do it the other way around I guess lol.

Don't worry I'll get one ASAP. :D

Looking good!! Exciting times that things are starting to cycle well!

• Like 1

Looking good!! Exciting times that things are starting to cycle well!

Yeah just trying to be patient. I want to make sure it is 100% before I start putting in the shrimps.

Yeah, you are now at that difficult stage. Super keen to get shrimp in, but knowing better.

Just think how long it has taken to get to this point, another few weeks will fly past in no time. 

:sick:

yea I know what you mean and after all the trouble another few weeks should be fine.