Disciples Tank Journal

Disciple

Hi SKFer's,

I finally got approval for my next shrimp tank (currently a divided 4 footer trying to push it to a 5 footer). So I thought I would keep track of the creation of the tank here from design to the finish product with the shrimp I end up with.

See below my design and first set of drawings.

Tank Design.pdf

Since it is my first real design for a tank with a sump. Please feel free to critique. I would like to as many idea's from the ppl here as possible before I get it built.

Cheers,

Baz

Edited by Disciple

• 3 weeks later...

Looks pretty good dude, just a couple of questions though, is there any reason you've done the inflow & outflow through the bottom? I recommend drilling through the back. Also, you've got the last divider in the sump the wrong way round, you've got it flowing down into the last section when it should be flowing up from the bottom, this way the all the water will flow through the media section & not just across the top with the way you have it now. Have a look at the DIY thread I've done on building a sump & you will see what I mean. :rock:

http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/5813-fixing-a-3ft-tank-making-it-a-sump-filter/

Thanks a lot for the feed back Squiggs!

I must admit I did not look at the DIY thread that you did. I will study it tonight. I wasnt 100% sure how the sump would work I was hoping the place I will end up getting the set up from would be able to give me some advice on it.

AHHH Ok I get it so if I took the 4 piece of glass out of my sump drawing that would would make the water go through all the bio media I have in that section and then the water would flow out from the top into the last section! Thanks I didnt see that I should have drawn a water flow lines so I could understand it.

As for your question about the inflow and outflow coming from the bottom. Main reason is my wife hated the idea of seeing the pipes coming from the back. Second reason the place I am putting the set up I have only about a 2 foot width that I can work with and I wanted the tank to 2 foot wide haha, so I thought it wouldnt be a problem going through the bottom. If there is more risk with drilling from the bottom then I will end up something like option 2 in my drawings but instead having the water into the back section I will have all the inflow and outflow come up from there and just paint it black so the wife doesnt see the pipes.

I will up date the drawings and put the order in after Christmas and hopefully its be ready for pick up at the end of January or mid Feb. I am hoping to pick up some nice goodies while I am in Singapore so I can get the water parameters perfect for TB's and once its cycled start sourcing some nice shrimp.

Actually I have managed to convince my wife that there wont be much difference between 4 foot and a 5 foot but it cost me hahaha. So now it'll be a 5 footer divided into a 4 :D.

Hi Disciple,

Using a single hole outlet instead of the spray bar, will give you a better water flow. If you connect a enlarging straight joint (for e.g. 1" to 2") to the outlet pipe, you will be able to achieve higher flow rate but slow water speed. Shrimp prefer slow water speed. High flow rate will ensure more and faster water turn over.

For the overflow hole (which is an internal pipe for your design), make sure it allows you to cover it with coarse sponge and can be remove for washing easily. Or else, half of your shrimp population will migrate to your sump. :D

Just a thought on the size and shape of the tank. Is there any possibility to design them to be multiple cube tank? Having a long depth tank is quite weird. I have friends who build tank rack using 3 x standard 60cm tank in a row, and placed them with the side facing the front. When I look through the tank, the feeling is very weird.

Most of my tanks are using sump tank. However, they are all off-the-shelf saltwater sump tank but modified for shrimp tank. Here is a picture of my sump design:

DSCF5457-FIXED.jpg

Oh... Forgot to mention this.

Since you are using sump tank, you could consider to use Auto top-off system (it makes your life much easier and you could go holiday without worries). If you are using ATO, you may want to segregate your sump tank to allow some space for a reservoir to store the top-off water.

Hi Disciple,

Using a single hole outlet instead of the spray bar, will give you a better water flow. If you connect a enlarging straight joint (for e.g. 1" to 2") to the outlet pipe, you will be able to achieve higher flow rate but slow water speed. Shrimp prefer slow water speed. High flow rate will ensure more and faster water turn over.

For the overflow hole (which is an internal pipe for your design), make sure it allows you to cover it with coarse sponge and can be remove for washing easily. Or else, half of your shrimp population will migrate to your sump. :D

Just a thought on the size and shape of the tank. Is there any possibility to design them to be multiple cube tank? Having a long depth tank is quite weird. I have friends who build tank rack using 3 x standard 60cm tank in a row, and placed them with the side facing the front. When I look through the tank, the feeling is very weird.

Most of my tanks are using sump tank. However, they are all off-the-shelf saltwater sump tank but modified for shrimp tank. Here is a picture of my sump design:

DSCF5457-FIXED.jpg

Oh... Forgot to mention this.

Since you are using sump tank, you could consider to use Auto top-off system (it makes your life much easier and you could go holiday without worries). If you are using ATO, you may want to segregate your sump tank to allow some space for a reservoir to store the top-off water.

Thank you for your input Shrimp Daddy,

I really like your advise for the enlarging straight joint for my outlet. High flow and slow water speed was my aim. What I planned to do having a "T" for the tops of the dividers and aiming the spray  bar for the corner of the "T" lol but I was worried it would cause too much splashing. Your suggestion for the outlet sounds 1000 times better!

The main reason I decided to go with the dimensions I did are for the following reasons. I read somewhere that it is better to have a larger "floor area" then height. The area I have to play with is roughly 6 foot by 2 foot. Due to the wife "restriction" I have a 5 foot tank haha. So I decide to make the biggest tank that I am allowed (I would have loved to make it a two tier rack but that Idea was rejected LOL). The only variable I can play with is the height of the tank. I decided with 14" because I plan to have 2" of substrate and from what i have read 12" is plenty of height for shrimp but I was thinking of increasing the height to 18". I would actually love to have multiple 2 foot square tanks but I can only get one tank for now haha so I want to maximize it. This way I also maximize the water volume so I can keep the WP as stable as possible.

As you suggest I would have had a course sponge covering my overflow hole in the second option but from Squiggles suggestion I am thinking will use the area that would have been the over flow as a "cover for the piping to come up the back. This way I can drill through the back and hide the plumbing.

I also have plans for an auto top up system. I am planning to get some plumbing done so I can have a RO unit filling up the auto top up and having a drain installed so I can drain water changes easily too.

I would love a side view of your sump it seems quite compact and very neat.

Sorry for the wall of text but I feel if I answer your questions with as much information I can it will help give me better feedback. Thanks again for your suggestions! :D

You are welcome and thanks for writing me such a detail reply. :D

The bigger floor area theory is assuming the shrimp will pick on the substrate. What I had been observing is that it works better to have more space for microbial and zooplankton to hide; this is the reason why some strong shrimp will dig deeply into the substrate. Hence, it is not necessary to have large surface area. I did aquascaping for all my tanks. Surprising, they love to pick on porous rocks and driftwood more than on the substrate, except when I am feeding them powder food. If space is a constraint for you, then there is nothing much you can do. ;)

Are you planning to have those shrimp only tank with just substrate and a few mosses? If yes, you may want to hear my recent experience. Recently I setup a tank that has a little aquascaping but it is kind of "open concept". My shrimps hate it. It is like there is no place that they can rest and feel safe. End up, all of them will go to some corner of the tank to rest or sometime hide under the shade of the water outlet. As such, I am concluding tank that is too open is not conducive to shrimp. End up, I think I will tear it down and redesign the scape. Below is the tank design they hated very much:

DSCF3406-FIXED.jpg

I have this problem of treating my shrimps like my pet, such as dog or cat. Hence, I will try to give them the best life. As such, I may be overly pampering them when compared to other people. LOL!!!

Regarding the overflow, I forgot to mention something. Are you placing this tank is living room or somewhere noise is a concern? Overflow can get pretty noisy. One way to reduce the noise is to add a ball-valve to the overflow. Add it where it will be parallel to the water level. Leverage on the ball-valve to control the flow rate such that the water level reaches about half of the hole. In this way, you will be able to cut away 90% of the noise. By the way, be it the overflow is from bottom or from the back, you will still need removable coarse sponge to cover the hole. Last time I only cover my overflow with mesh. End up, I get like 50 babies/teenage shrimps in my filter sock every week. LOL!!!

For the outlet, make sure it is facing away from the overflow. In this way, the water will circulate nicely from the top and down then back to the overflow. In addition, you need to make it moveable such that you can adjust the up and down angle freely. This will help you to adjust the angle of the water stream so that it achieve the maximum water surface agitation. With slow water speed, the water surface agitation is not meant for aerating the water (you need to add air-pump & air-stone in the sump), it is more for removing bio film. Usually with overflow, it will skim the biofilm. However for shrimp tank case, we need to cover the overflow with something (I suggested coarse sponge) to prevent shrimp swimming into the overflow. Once the overflow has less than 2cm width, the biofilm will not be able to be skimmed. 

Sounds good on your ATO plan. Just make sure you get a reliable solenoid. ;)

Here is a picture of the front-side view of the sump tank but I think can't see much (Ignore the activated carbon. I usually use activated carbon during cycling):

DSCF3129.JPG

Here is a picture of the sump without water:

DSCF3128.JPG

By the way, how tall is your cabinet? If it is very tall, you can consider building a trickle filter. Basically, you will have 2 levels of sump tank (totally segregated). First level is the trickle filter and the second level is the consolidation/reservoir sump tank. The good thing for trickle filter is that all the filter media are not submerged, thus less waste material will be dissolved into the water. In addition, it helps to aerate the water too.

• Like 1

Again I can not thank you enough for the feedback you are providing, I am very grateful. I feel privileged that you are giving me so many ideas to use in my next set up.

Yes I do intend to have a shrimp only tank but I dont want it full "open concept tank". I love my shrimp and I see them as pets. My aim is also to give them the best life and living conditions as I can. It is also hard for me to cull my shrimp haha. I have currently given the culls to my brother but he doesnt want any more haha. I hope to give SKF beginners my culls in the future.

My current set up is a iwagumi style tank which I thought was fine but now realise it may be good for cherries but not so good for the TB's. It has not been a total waste as I have learnt a lot and from my observations it seems the shrimp enjoy all the plants and rock as you have mentioned. The main issue i am having is keeping the PH down, I believe the stones I bought slowly raises the PH.

post-1014-0-46131300-1419148038_thumb.jp This is my current tank. Excuse the cloudy water I believe I am having a issue with a bacterial bloom which is slowly clearing up.

In my next set up I have decided in each division I will have is going to be roughly 30-40% heavy planted like my current tank but the remaining area will be "open concept" but I will still have drift wood with moss. I am currently frustrated with my current set up because it is very difficult to see my shrimp haha so I want a open area so i can see them a little easier but still have plants as I believe having a heavy planted area will help with shrimplet survival rates.

post-1014-0-83113600-1419149447_thumb.pn This is a basic layout of each division.

post-1014-0-91992700-1419149499_thumb.jp This is what I have come up with as my Moss wall. Again sorry for the cloudy water and picture quality (using a iphone).

Thank you for all the additional advise and showing me pictures of your sump. I think I will need to show the guys at the aquarium shop and see if they understand it better. Hopefully they can help set something similar up.

The cabinet I have chosen is roughly 70cm high. So I will do some more research about Trickle filters and see if I can set one up instead.

The aim for the new set up is to be able to keep nice big colonies of my favourite shrimp. The 4 divisions will be home to BB's, nice quality CRS or PRL, KingKongs and Wine Reds. I like the though of keeping pure strains but I will see what I am able to get. I will be visiting Aquarist chamber when I am on my holidays and hopefully get products that will get the setup started the right way.

Offtopic we were planning to fly to HongKong too for a few days. I wanted to take my kids to disney world but we are a bit hesitant because of the protests that have happened recently. I noticed your location is Hong Kong and was wondering want the atmosphere is like currently and whether or not you think it would be better to wait for a better time? Thanks for your time.

Edited by Disciple

If you want a tank that is easy to cull but yet provide shrimp to hide and walk around, you may want to consider my approach for non-CO2-injected tank. My approach is have a lot of big rocks with 20% slow growing plant that does not attract gunk (usually I use bucephalandra and anubias). In this way, you can see all shrimps from top-view but yet they have a lot of places to walk and hide. Below are pictures of two of my such tanks:

DSCF5288-FIXED.jpg

DSCF2663.JPG

Not sure you could find petrified wood (fossilised wood) in AU. If you can, there are some highly porous petrified wood that shrimp loves them. The rocks in my first picture is one of them; it is a type of partial petrified wood.

For the bacteria bloom, it should be too much organics. Put in some Purigen and it will clear it for you.

70cm height cabinet is too low to have double layer. Hence, trickle filter will be out for you.

You don't necessarily need to follow my sump design. My sump design will require addition pump for pumping water to the filter compartment. Most people will design the overflow pipe going to the filtration compartment. I prefer mine is because I am able to have higher speed of water going to the filtration chamber and configure the return pump to pump slower water. No good or bad with both design. Just that I am a person who like to fine tune every component, which is why I opted for that design. ;)

Regarding the shrimp type you intended to keep, I will suggest keeping the BB with KK, instead of KK or WR. BB breed with KK will give you shadow KK or BB with black colour (similar to hinomaru/mosura KK). If you keep KK with WR, you will end up with the lowest denominator, which is brown-based shrimp.

The protest is gone. Actually, it is not as bad as what being broadcast on the news. News always blow things up to zest up the news. :( However, I will not suggest you to go to the HK Disneyland for the following two reasons:

• It is very small and lame. If you been to Disneyland in other country, you will be utterly disappointed.
  • During holiday season (now till Lunar New Year), there will be a lot of mainlander tourist. These people do not have the culture to queue up. Hence, they will spoil your holiday mood.
Edited by Shrimpy Daddy
  • Like 1

Nah I intend to keep the BB, KK, WR and PRL all in seperate sections :D.

Ok thanks for the heads up. I'll try talk my wife into going to Thailand instead.

Thank you for sharing your nicely scaped tanks. They look wonderful.

LOL!!! OK. I thought your new tank only has 3 compartments?

Ever thought of doing the Asian/Japanese approach on racks? (Sorry, I have many ideas. :p) Usually we will use 45cm or 60cm cube tank that are placed side by side. Instead of an aquarium cabinet, we usually custom cabinet (we get furniture builder to build it). Hence, the cabinet looks like a normal home cabinet that stretches an entire wall. In this way, you can just add more cube tank when needed. As for the sump, it could be a centralised one or a few shared by different tanks. Not sure my description is clear enough though. LOL!!!

Thailand sounds better, especially if you like spicy food and spa. Only problem with Thailand is that Qantas does not have much flight that has good timing for to and fro. End up sometime have to catch red-eye.

Yeah I got approval from the "minister of finance" to get a 5 foot instead of the 4 foot in my initial drawings haha. So with the 5 footer I will split it into 4 divisions. I should have mentioned that earlier haha. If it was 3 divisions I would get WR, PRL/CRS and BB.

Yes initially my plan was to find a cabinet maker to build a nice cabinet/home office/desk. In this design I wanted to incorporate a two tiered rack with 2 x 60cm cubes for each rack haha. But the above mentioned "MOF" said I can only add one more tank to add to my first one. So to get around this limitation I drew up this design with divisons haha It is still one tank but gives me the division I need to keeper different types of shrimp hahaha.

We have a saying "Happy Wife, Happy Life" or the other saying is "I am whipped" lol.

Actually we will be going to Singapore first from Australia to visit the in laws. From there we will decide the next destination :D. For my holiday I would like a beach resort with a nice spa. For my other half she would like the nice modern city to Shop.

"We have a saying "Happy Wife, Happy Life"" <--- We say that too. LOL!!! Lucky for me, I'm a DINK. Hence, financially are managed separately. This is why I am able to spend so much on equipment for testing and researches; never sell a single shrimp before (they are my pet), thus all funds came from my own pocket. If she ever know how much I had spent, she probably will kill me.

"For my holiday I would like a beach resort with a nice spa. For my other half she would like the nice modern city to Shop." <--- Here is my suggestion. Fly to BKK, stay a few days for your MoF to shop. After that fly to Koh Samui and stay at the W Hotel. You guys will be able to enjoy the spa and relaxation more after the crazy shopping in the bustling city. ;)

Edited by Shrimpy Daddy

Thanks for the Holiday suggestion I will do a little research on Koh Samui for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to do a little update. After my holiday and a few discussion with couple of shrimp breeders I have made some changes to my tank design. I have actual also gone down to the lfs to get it made.

post-1014-0-70945900-1421583466_thumb.jp

Back to a 4 foot length and divided into 3 sections. Instead of hooking it all up to a sump I will be using a combination on sponge, under gravel and a canister filters to filter the tank. To achieve this with out the need of multiple canister filters and chillers the partitions have the centre area cut out and covered in very fine mesh to allow the water flow between partitions.

I have had second thoughts about the UGF because a post made by shrimpy daddy that mentions UGF causing lots of problems but I have bought all the equipment for it and I hope the way I been told to set it up will combat any issues, so I will see how it goes.

Hopefully my next update will be when I have the tank and start setting it up. As always please feel free to provide your thought and feed back. Thanks.

• Like 2

Let me make a guess.... You are convinced by Alvin to use UGF?

If you change your substrate and UGF every 6 to 8 months and keep your tank meticulously clean and balance, then will be no problem. Or else, you may find that baby survival is no good, sudden mass death, algae bloom and/ or lost of colour. Wish you good luck. ;)

What substrate will you be coupling with the UGF?

By the way, what is the T-section in each compartment does?

Actually Alvin advised me to use the canister and sponge filters.

It was another breeder that I met that ended up convincing me. He swears by it and he convinced me to try but then i read you post that its not good. Also he told me to use ADA amazonia which is the one you said would be the worst to use argh! But saying that I noticed this seems to be the a lot of the Singaporean shrimp keepers set up their tanks.

The T-section in each compartment will be used for my feeding area. It will be left bare so any uneaten for can be easily taken out.

:phew:

I see. Alvin used to preach about UGF because of Lowkeys recommends it. But I know since day one when he was still a neutral standalone breeder, he is very afraid of it being clogged .

Bare bottom? Oh no.... no..... The Taiwanese style poison had spread to SG too? No.... .... ....

Sigh... I will let you decide on the design and shall not comment anymore. If not, I will make you panic and unhappy with your purchase. :x

But before I shut up. LOL!! Do you know ADA AS is not UGF compatible?

Wish you good luck. ;)

Edited by Shrimpy Daddy

I see. Alvin used to preach about UGF because of Lowkeys recommends it. But I know since day one when he was still a neutral standalone breeder, he is very afraid of it being clogged .

Bare bottom? Oh no.... no..... The Taiwanese style poison had spread to SG too? No.... .... ....

Sigh... I will let you decide on the design and shall not comment anymore. If not, I will make you panic and unhappy with your purchase. :x

But before I shut up. LOL!! Do you know ADA AS is not UGF compatible?

Wish you good luck. ;)

Its ok this is the reason I am posting my ideas up as I go. I like to get as much information as possible as I got. It will not be a issue to make changes if I have too. Worse comes to worse I can leave the UGF out and just use the cannister filters and sponge filters.

The only part of the tank that will be bare bottom will be the little feeding area at the front. There will be soil in the rest of the tank.

I had no idea that the UGF and ada soil is not compatible. The person I spoke to said that this is the set up he has used for 6 years without any problems lol.

If it is ok I would like to pm about a few things regarding another topic I want to get your opinion on.

You need to feed microbes in substrate. They are the key food source for shrimp, not unsightly algae or shrimp food that most Taiwanese Breeder thought. Hence, feeding in glass bowl or bare glass bottom is a wrong practice (pardon my bluntness).

" The person I spoke to said that this is the set up he has used for 6 years without any problems lol." <--- ADA AS will drop crumbs over time. Hence, it will be clogged easily. Are you running a powerhead or canister filter to suck the UGF and going through a pre-filter first? If not, then yes you will have problem. No worries. I will leave you believe in that guy. I will keep mum. :x

Sure. Please feel free to PM me. ;)

I am happy for the feed back. You can be as blunt as you would like. I do not get offended easily I am actually quite honored that you are willing to explain all these things to me. I believe this way I can make the best decision for myself.

The UGF will be run using an airstone.

I am here to learn as I am only a beginner myself. Thank you for the advise, I appreciate it.

I replied your PM and I did gave you some recommendation on using UGF. Let's continue our discussion in the PM before I may upset others. :p

don’t make this a secrete squirrel chat! :paranoid:

I’m in the planning stages of a new rack aswell and I love hearing all the ideas, although the contradicting ideas is a head f :zombie:

Damn shrimp secret service. Ill be glad to learn a bit more about the setup for a nice clean and funcional talk. Share ur cards xD

• Like 1