Bucephalandra, who's got what.

buck

I'll get pics of mine up soon.

One thing I have noticed is that some of the names of buces being sold have been twisted alot lately. I think it happens through simple mistakes but also laziness. I've seen a few sold (not on SKF) without a name because they had forgotten it. No doubt the buyer will want to have a name, so they will probably pick a name that looks close or worse make one up. In my opinion, thats pretty slack. Its not too hard to write down the name of the plant when you get it. In fact I will show you the system I use in addition to recording the names so that I can always ID my buce.

I've also seen instances where two names are used to describe one thing. For example, velvet tricolour. Velvet is one type, tricolour is another. Because buces are so awesome, I would hate to see people being put off buying them because they have a repu tation for being mis-ID'd, which is what I see happening if this kind of thing continuing. My point is, I want to be able to buy a velvet, and know I'm getting a velvet.

Rant over.

• Like 4

Won't let me post pics via tapatalk, or link to where I've uploaded it to already.....

But just got ID as sp. brownie ghost.

Won't let me post pics via tapatalk, or link to where I've uploaded it to already.....

But just got ID as sp. brownie ghost.

Post a thread in the forum problems section so we can work out what's happening.

My kedagang. This originated from two tiny leaves about the size of lamandau mini purple that I paid an absolute fortune for just over two years ago. Cut twice to get the extra shoots, but yes very slow growing. Been kept submerged the whole time. Probably still my favorite.

post-51-0-27236200-1417787070_thumb.jpg

Next to it is my brownie purple, the only buce I have planted straight in the soil, and probably the one growing the fastest.

post-51-0-96650100-1417787157_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 1

Excuse the BBA. Battling a small outbreak. Amongst this lot is Ulyses, skeleton king, green velvet, kapit 4, kapit black, red catherine, lamandau mini purple - hidden down amongst the shrimp

post-51-0-85137200-1417789240_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishmosy

Here is how I track the names of the buces.

post-51-0-10788300-1417789578_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-24061800-1417789616_thumb.jpg

Just superglue little pieces of plastic with the name written on in permanent marker. I use pieces of an icecream container. Engraving the name into the plastic works too and is probably less likely to rub off.

• Like 1

My kedagang. This originated from two tiny leaves about the size of lamandau mini purple that I paid an absolute fortune for just over two years ago. Cut twice to get the extra shoots, but yes very slow growing. Been kept submerged the whole time. Probably still my favorite.

Just to clarify, since I may be reading it wrong, but it green from leaves?

Great to see people sharing their Buce pics and how they grow them. I'd love to add some Buce to my tanks, especially the Buce with purple or dark colored leaves. But it'll be a a year or 2 before I can even hope to be able to get some. Plus I don't run co2 or add ferts to any of my tanks, and I don't plan to either, in case it affects my shrimp so I may have to go with out

Thank you 2OFUS that's great to know! Now I'm definately more interested in giving them a go when I have the spare $$$. How about temp? The tank I'd really like to put some in is 26C, but most of my tanks sit around 23

They like cool waters... Thats why they are perfect for shrimp tanks... I have 8 tanks running and the only plants i have are buce and moss..

Thankyou Countryboy12484, hopefully I can start to add a few to my lower temp tanks next year. I can't wait :-)

Just to clarify, since I may be reading it wrong, but it green from leaves?

Assuming you mean grew from leaves?

Two tiny leaves on a tiny bit of rhizome. Pretty certain you need rhizome for it to shoot from.

Assuming you mean grew from leaves?

Two tiny leaves on a tiny bit of rhizome. Pretty certain you need rhizome for it to shoot from.

yes...I'm assuming I did gree and it auto corrected to green instead of grew.

That's what I assumed (rhizome) but I've only taken notice of Buce recently (I saw some fairly average iphone quality pics a couple months ago and thought "really, people are going nuts for that?" ) but recently saw some macro's of leaves with blue sheen, spots, etc and took notice (still not convinced but taking notice, probably need to track someone nearby who has them just to see them in person to jump on that bandwagon) but still very unfamiliar so when I read your post I was "really, is this some magic plant that grows from just leaves, how can it be $50+ if it can grow from just leaves?" (lowest I've seen is $50, if it were $20 I'd buy a few just to see them in person but at $50 for something that may melt and I'm not convinced on...I dunno) 

Edited by Proto

If you are looking for a buce to start, I'd highly reccomend kedagang. Its one of the cheapest available, seems to be very hardy and IMO has the most colourful leaves.

Between $20 and $50 is cheap for buces. I've paid $100's for mine. Still think they are worth it and would pay that amount again for a variety I really want.

Unfortunately photos never show the true beauty of buces.

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 2

If kedagang (or one of the brownie varieties) turns up while passively browsing at a price that doesn't instantly make me go "noooooooooooooo" I'll probably jump on board but they don't seem to be something that's sold frequently where I normally browse so probably won't be for a long time.

• Like 1

Its a shame that i cant sell buce to you guys... I sell tuns of them on the US forums..

Do you import them or grow them yourself? If you grow them, whats do you find is the best way to grow them? Emerse or submerse? Temperature? pH? ect.

• Like 1