Bucephalandra, who's got what.

buck

Here's mine (finally maybe tapatalk will let this happen)

5c7fd21759e1b4d9cc4459a70822f8c0.jpg

Woot - success

Edited by Foxpuppet

Hi all,

Recently, I did some testing on buce for about 2 month to find out what will be the best method to accelerate the grow. Hence, I would like to share some of my findings (initially I wanted to post on my blog but my blog is under-maintenance).

1. Lighting - Buce prefers much higher lighting than anubias. However, if you keep them at very low light, it will survive and colour up but not growing much. The colouring up includes turning the emerged-grown leaves into submerge colour. But when you turn up the lighting to medium intensity (similar to the intensity for growing Staurogyne Repens) and does not inject CO2, the growth and colouring up stop. Once you inject CO2 the, the growth and colouring accelerated much faster. But it will concentrate on growing new submerge leaves instead of colouring up the old emerged-grown leaves. As such, I conclude the best lighting will be medium-low. If you planning to use stronger intensity, Otocinclus is must. Or else, the buce will be covered by diatom. Another interesting part of lighting is that when the plant receive sufficient lighting, they will grow leaves at the bottom instead of the top. Hence if you plant them into substrate at bright area and when you see them never grow any new leaves, use the twister and lift them up a little. You will see tons of leaves growing below. You may need to do this once in awhile. Before you do this, make sure there are some roots that attached to the substrate.
  2. CO2 - Tested from 5ppm to 40ppm and there is no significant differences. The key factor is as long as you inject CO2. Just a tiny bit at 5ppm will be good enough.
  3. NO3 - Tested from 5ppm to 25ppm and there is not really significant differences (I increase CO2 and lighting intensity when I increase NO3). However if the NO3 is below 5 and below and when lighting is strong, the leaves will turn yellow and diatom will form. As such, I will recommend maintain the NO3 at 10ppm (provided your pH is above 5.8).
  4. PO4 - All my tanks are consistently with 0.75 to 1ppm of PO4. Hence, I can't tell from my experiment whether they will affect buce or not.
  5. Trace Fertiliser - They love trace fert. The more you dose, the better the colour and the thicker and rubber the leaves. This makes me suspect the logic for them not growing new leaves fast. I think they have priority on using energy and nutrients to improve existing leaves, instead of growing new leaves like most plants.
  6. Best Way to Propagate - Trim them as often as possible. Once they grow to a decent height, they will grow very dense leaves. Once this happens, it is almost impossible to cut at their rhizome. For a new plant you bought, if the rhizome is long, cut them to small multiple leaves. A 2 to 4 leaves new plant grows best initially. If the rhizome has cut and the leaves are little, they will grow many leaves at one time. I did an experiment by taking a long rhizome with 2 leaves and use pen knife and do multiple cuts. End up, I get like 8 leaves growing at the same time (even in non-CO2 injected tank).
  7. Planting Area - The roots and rhizome loves substrate. Hence, they grow even much faster if you plant them into rich substrate (this is align with my finding on they love trace nutrients). The rhizome will not rot like Anubias. As such, Buce could be plant almost every where you like, except area that is high up and next to the lighting.
  8. Temperature - Tested 26C and 30C and they are doing just fine. Many claims that they melt at high temperature. I think this got to do with nutrients level, which is the same as lighting intensity. Higher temperature will have higher metabolic rate that may have the same effect as high light intensity.

If sufficient nutrients (including CO2) are provided and lighting intensity is not too strong, don't worry about the leaves melting. They will grow back later on. Personally, I prefer them to melt away all the emerge-grown leaves and grow out the smaller, rubbery, thick and colour leaves.

But there is one annoying thing you need to take note (not much people observed). Buce's young leaves are tender and tasty. Shrimp and Otocinclus love to much them. If you are keeping buce with them, make sure they are well fed. Or else, you will find your buce leaves start to have bit and pieces being bitten off.

Hope these information help. ;)

Edited by Shrimpy Daddy
  • Like 5

Awesome article dude, very well written & thank you for doing the hard yards researching the best way to grow these lovely plants, I'm sure there are a lot of people who will be using this info to grow bigger & better Buces! :thumbsu:

Question. What was the Kelvin output of your light? Also if led what was the watts? I feel this would make a significant difference in growth

I have 16 x CREE XML, 8 x CREE XPe (enforce red spectrum) and 8 x Philip Radeon (enforce blue spectrum) over 60cm cube tank. All LEDs are running at 15 to 40 duty cycle during the testing for different scenario. In conclusion, I find that the cool white light at 28 to 30% give best reflection of colour and the red and blue supporting lightings are suffice at 20 to 28%.

Kelvin does not tell the true spectrum. As long as you are getting a light designed for plant, it should be good. Buce prefers more red light than blue light to grow. But the blue light is preferred by shrimp and to reflect the colour of some Buce. As such, it is better to have lighting that has control over individual channel.

Given said that, since Buce loves medium low lighting, lighting is not everything. So on what evidence I claimed this? I tested with 30% cool white and 8% red and blue supporting. The result is that they still grow as per normal.

I have been in planted tank hobby for 20 years. Personally I find that lighting requirement is always glorified. What I find with most plants Is that they will do just fine with sufficient lighting (not too much). The more important factors are the CO2 and nutrients. If you look at the biological aspect, light is just an activator for chlorophyll. If you ramp up the activity of chlorophyll and not supplying enough nutrients, the plant will either shutdown the growth function or they will die. One good analogy is that you have a 800bhp V10 engine but you only have 1 liter fuel tank. Once your engine run at 200mph for 20 sec and it will drop dead. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

5c7fd21759e1b4d9cc4459a70822f8c0.jpg

So this little brownie ghost I got has been going great... But the older leaves started to develop some BBA. I gave it a Bleach bath to kill it off which worked a treat. Now that it's dying off I could see it was big enough that I could give it a trim.

So from 1 plant I got 5 very nice little cuttings one of which has now flowered.

64e92c702a96853955421fbfd69fee16.jpg

b3434e7047fe2e956087975d5d8069f6.jpg

And the BBA riddled rhizomes got split and is now got new shoots

e97f6798dc839c1a39a2543f1300b04a.jpg

Added to my sp.

Kedagang x1

c9b1caab34279faef518bcd93d1d55de.jpg

Belindae x2

482e5dbcde68cbd2d18965e83fc01425.jpg

Catherine X1/2 (lol so small)

bfb74a052ad86cb9955f6ddcf71a7850.jpg

• 2 months later...

Quick input, hopefully can get good, proper pictures once algae clears up

Black centipede

646ceee34e3585e6bd2c9fa7e0389a9b.jpg

1d5593f69d1a57c96554f97ce8d017a6.jpg

Brownie jade

4a72ed2f59b70ed15b6117e3ad014ccb.jpg

11f36836bbe4f97cc608e20b87a53135.jpg

Kedagang red

7a1e0b75ed9fcbeeb2188a6eaa347911.jpg

Foreground: brownie ghost

Background: lamundu mini purple

88bd87f20388cb6a855a09e52ab681dd.jpg

Since previous post I have added Dark Hades

b84ae396fa3bbdb7da4bea9eba2026a2.jpg

• Like 1

That's looking good!

I need to work on more colours besides green. Guessing most people it's from ferts and light mostly?

That's looking good!

I need to work on more colours besides green. Guessing most people it's from ferts and light mostly?

AFAIK some sp. have different colors.

My brownie ghost is green and so is Catherine but belindae has slight purple. Kedagang is velvety red and dark Hades is blue/purple

I believe kedagang has a few colour varieties, brownie ghost gets a complete mix of colours also.

• 2 months later...

Tonight was a chance to do a new batch of cuttings from my small Buce collection.

6730ebee453aae1e63192d34f5e6022b.jpg

1 Belindae became 3

a5c4b207d84d4e445cbcdd44a0f614dd.jpg

Tiny Catherine has been struggling so this division could make or break it

4db858b8acf104d12ba8dcb7b1618d3a.jpg

My original Brownie Ghost from TC has been going great

585d225716e2b43f4d404f62ef690eaf.jpg

Trimmed down

f57e270ee6d4ee1b8669845bd9115b4a.jpg

Planted into Kitz glass, will lower down as too close to light but was good for pics

06ff0346fc734395106ff79cc0dffed3.jpg

Only kedagang and Hades left to cut down now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Oh I'm so glad I just found this topic! 

I got a Buce as a gift (I think it had blue somewhere in it's name, also perhaps brownie?) and it never did very well at the top of my tank so in the last trim I moved it.  I looked in the tank last night and WHOA, it looks like it's about to flower.

27738751664_81130e1b90_z.jpg

I'm very excited to see what the flower is going to look like :)

• Like 3

Oh I'm so glad I just found this topic! 

I got a Buce as a gift (I think it had blue somewhere in it's name, also perhaps brownie?) and it never did very well at the top of my tank so in the last trim I moved it.  I looked in the tank last night and WHOA, it looks like it's about to flower.

27738751664_81130e1b90_z.jpg

I'm very excited to see what the flower is going to look like :)

The flowers are nice but don't last long and unfortunately have not allowed for propagation AFAIK.

• 1 year later...

Mine have exploded since my last post here.

1da50919263503e1823a1a8db09ef6c8.jpg

• Like 4

@Foxpuppet: So many! Did your catherinae and belindae grow out into a big clump yet? 

Belindae is still tiny
Catherinae plugging along ok but not big or a clump LOL

@Foxpuppet So, catherinae is growing faster than belindae in your experience?

How much does a stem or two of belindae go for nowadays? I just recently split mine into singular stems :)

Here are mines. Though, I'm not able to tell their name, as I messed with the tags when I received them.

So as not hijack this thread, I have opened one here :

IMG_20170821_114817.thumb.jpg.9e497b2b777a311d855d09ae84661c8a.jpg

IMG_20170821_114832.thumb.jpg.b7a05b76c2749b36d53066eaba2cdd92.jpg

IMG_20170821_114841.thumb.jpg.9c52e5c5bc389a1769b4a76fd551b67f.jpg

IMG_20170821_114851.thumb.jpg.d2072e988db36edab599c8adef215275.jpg

IMG_20170821_114903.thumb.jpg.8d288404071d38daed94a226996cb3cb.jpg

IMG_20170821_114913.thumb.jpg.12fc45f3aefd2ef18131f2149128e4a9.jpg

IMG_20170821_114937.thumb.jpg.1e6beb7c31f29f84c4484b8144d9b3af.jpg

IMG_20170821_115005.thumb.jpg.87a6a9e64665d74306621a4d43fec339.jpg

IMG_20170821_115019.thumb.jpg.7f2688267256b95c8506a526118318b8.jpg

IMG_20170821_115033.thumb.jpg.949d2cc95a016302aa682bfc16b49913.jpg

Edited by Matuva