My new Riffles

kizshrimp

Years ago we had some riffle shrimp in a display tank at a shop I worked at - this was long before crystal reds or cherry shrimp had hit the scene. We used locally collected Paratya as algae grazers and Takashi Amano was using Caridina the same way. The riffles were amazing shrimp back then, something different to the glass clear Paratya we could collect. 

So much has changed since then, there was no "shrimp hobby" yet and no beautiful coloured shrimp to keep. I just got some Riffle Shrimp down from Fishmosy and they are just as beautiful and amazing as ever. All the competition from exotics has not diluted their charm one bit. Thanks for the lovely shrimp mate...

They were a bit timid at first and especially shy when the lights were on. Now I've placed some driftwood right in the high current zone and they're very happy to sit there all day, every day - doing the "jazz hands" as they eat. 

There's some great photos of this species here on SKF and I'm afraid mine cannot compete. However if I can clean the glass sufficiently to get some better shots I will post them. 

post-1028-0-94502800-1416971925_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Thats a great pic, dont know what you are talking about. Its fun to chuck small food into the current and watch their jazz hands then! Newly hatched brine shrimp or ground up shrimp/fish food works a treat.

Edited by fishmosy

Oh just noticed the little male sitting below the big females. Makes me laugh when I think how the little males mate with those big females....

• Like 1

Riffles are the best!

And love your photo. Keep sharing, can never have too much of the riffles.

Edited by yeswaitnosorry

• 3 weeks later...