Macropore Gold and White for CRS/CBS/Taiwan Bees?

jc12

I have found a lot of information in relation to macropore for fishes but not much info on its effect on shrimps so thought some one here could help me out. My questions are specifically for CRS/CBS/Taiwan Bees.

1. Has anyone use macropore gold successfully to lower the PH? Does it have any effect, adversely or positively, on GH/KH/TDS?

2. Can macropore gold and white be used together? Gold for soft water and white for removal of nitrogenous wastes?

3. Will either macropore gold or white remove beneficial 'elements' of IAL/blackwater extract? I hope to remove the 'tea colour' but retain the beneficial 'elements' in the water.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks heaps!

A number of people, including myself, have used Macropore White. Still do.

It's great for reducing Nitrate. However it is no replacement for a mature filter to remove Ammonia and Nitrites.

Macropore Gold , however, uses an "ion exchange process where Calcium is replaced with sodium" (salt).

Knowing what it does, I've never used it for my shrimp tanks. We want Calcium in the tanks, and not salts. 

It will have an affect in reducing calcium and increasing GH. Not something you want in shrimp tanks. (But I've not used it, don't want to risk affecting my tank parameters).

So 

1) It will lower pH , but not the effect you want by removing Calcium and increasing GH. 

2) They can be used together,but i've not used Gold. The sodium introduced might not be significant however. Someone else might be able to comment. Macropore white by itself to reduce Nitrates is fine.

3) Don't know. But why add it only to remove it?

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice jayc!

I suspect as much about the calcium exchange for sodium issue. Thanks for confirming it.

In relation to IAL, I was hoping to have the 'benefits' of IAL but without the aesthetic appearance of tea colour.

Alternatively, I could use Catappa-X which does not have the tea colour look but still I am not sure if macropore would remove the 'benefits/elements/minerals/extract' of it. I guess what I should have asked is whether macropore removes the good bits of Catappa-X. Does this make sense?

Sorry if my questions do not make sense. I'm still a newbie in shrimp keeping.

How much IAL are you using that it stains the water brown?

I use IAL, 2-3 leaves per 50L. Can't even notice the water changing colour.

EasyLife Catappa X is a good alternative. I did a review here somewhere...

Found it.

http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/7241-easy-life-catappa-x-review/

The thing is with black water extract and macropore is ...

1) macropore is not a leave in and forget product. You use it for a specific purpose. If and when you want to reduce Nitrates - use macropore white. If and when you want to reduce pH use Gold. Use it only IF and WHEN you need to. This is where a fluid bed filter comes in handy.

2) Blackwater extract needs to be continually added. Even if you don't use macropore, the effects wear off. Don't forget water changes. You're throwing water out, so it's gotta be replaced somehow.

So bearing 1 & 2 in mind, it doesn't matter if macropore absorbs the nutrients and humic/fulvic acids. If you only use macropore as needed and remove it when the mission has been accomplished, and you continually add blackwater extract you have the benefit of both.

If you really need to achieve something that macropore white or Gold can do then, don't let it stop you. Cause the effects of Gold is temporary. Remove it after it's done it's job, and then resume adding blackwater extract with water changes.

If the aim is to reduce pH, there are other methods.

Macropore Gold might not be the first choice on my list, but if there is no other choice, I'd use it.

Alternatives are...

Peat Moss, Blackwater extract, Driftwood, dried organic leaves are all good at reducing pH - but staining could be an issue for you. I actually like the natural light brown colour. 

CO2 - but could be a slight risk with expensive shrimp.

Plant specific substrates - ADA, Cal Labs CEP, Benibachi, etc will help reduce pH. You should be using this for CRS, CBS and TB anyway.

But the BIG tip to pH reduction is to stop using tapwater. Not only is tapwater already high in pH, it's loaded with chemicals that resists lowering pH. So you need 2, 3 maybe 4 times as much to move down 1 pH compared to rain and RO water. Tapwater is also loaded with stuff that doesn't agree to shrimp and fish. 

Tapwater is just an uphill battle. 

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Sorry I should have be more specific.

Tank 1:

40 Litres - Ecostyle 47

Substrate: 2 Litres of 2-5 mm sized inert gravel + covered with 2 Litres of UP Shrimp Sand.

Filtration: Sponge filter + Ecostyle 47 default overhead box filter but changed out the original media for filter wool, ceramic rings and sponge.

Tank 2:

160 L

Substrate: 15 Litres 2-5 mm sized inert gravel.

Filtration: Sponge filter + wet/dry sump with filter wool, sponge, jap mat, ceramic rings and marine pure.

Both run on rainwater with an initial PH 6.5 to 7 and TDS 28 to 32, then add SS GH+ to 120 TDS.

Water parameters usually around PH 7 and TDS 120-150. Hope to further reduce PH hence started using IAL + Catappa-X + fulvic grain. Strangely PH is still hovering around 7 in both tanks. I use 2 x IAL in the 40L and 8 x IAL in the 160L and add Catappa-X as per recommended dosage during weekly water changes.

I read a lot about fish keepers leaving macropore in their filters to polish the water to achieve crystal clear effect. I know they have to be recharged but while they are in the filter say e.g. 6 months in the filter, I was hoping the beneficial effects of Catappa-X will not be absorb by the resins during this time.

I hope to achieve:

1. Lower PH.

2. Alleged macropore's crystal clear water effect without the tea colour, and without compromising on the benefits of IAL/Catappa-X.

3. Continuously absorb ammonia/nitrite/nitrate (should there be any spikes... which shouldn't under normal circumstances with a properly cycled tank), and recharged when exhausted.

Shrimps seem to be moulting fine. CRSs are currently berried and had their first drop two weeks ago. Shrimplets seem to be doing fine but only 12 x babies from two females so not sure if this is good or bad. Just hoping to improve on water quality to hopefully increase babies.

Sorry for all the details and questions. Just started with shrimps 3 months ago and still learning as I was more of a fish person.

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

You'll find better success with Benibachi substrate instead of inert gravel to lower pH.

Can't help you with no 2 however, I don't know enough about Macropore.

In answer to the original post: #3

I dont think you can remove the tannins (the chemicals that change the colour of the water) without removing the beneficial properties of IAL. I wouldn't be surprised if the tannins themselves are beneficial.

• Like 1