Tank Journal number 2 (ada amazonia + 2 breeding sponge)

salvanost

Hello guys, i will share all of my tank journal here,

for now i will update my 2nd tank here

hope someone could give me feedback so i could success with these tank :)

25r1slz.jpg

spec:

soil: ada amazonia 2

tank: gex 60cm / 60L

other:

- lowkeys speedsand at bottom

- bicom 78 bactery dosing

- ceramyc cube

- drift wood and lowkey tailor clay from my friend :)

- 2 different brand of breeding sponge, with different flow and sponge porous (both still safe for shrimplet)

- air pump sera 275 R

- DIY LED, medium light

- some floating plant, cannot give too much, cannot guarante contamination from worm or other small bug

log 10:00 pm

4 November 2014

* nearly 2 month since the setup

* ph around 5-5.5

* ammonia still above 1 around 3-4ppm

will do 50% WC

how deep is your soil? Looks like its at least 6cm. Wondering if that is why the ammonia is still high.

What temperature is the tank?

how deep is your soil? Looks like its at least 6cm. Wondering if that is why the ammonia is still high.

What temperature is the tank?

Substrate depth looks deceiving doesn't it?

It's only a 2footer, and using that glass feeding tray as a guide, I'd say the substrate is about 4cm deep.

You're right about the temp though. 

I don't see a heater in the tank.

Salvanost,

clearly speedsand and bicom isn't working for you. It isn't working period.

Put them aside. Don't want to keep adding something that doesn't work and will impact water parameters if you don't know what it does or what it contains.

Best you can do now is to turn up the heat to 26dC. Bacteria love the heat, and will colonise faster.

And ask a friend to give you a bit of old filter media, with all the gunk still in it.

Squeeze it into your tank and let your filters absorb it all in.

Amazonia was always going to take longer to cycle. So this is not abnormal.

My last tank that used Amazonia also took 8 weeks to cycle without bacteria inoculation from another tank. 

I got so impatient with the waiting that I vowed never to use amazonia again, and I chucked a handful of filter media from an outdoor pond into the tank. Which was also annoying, cause it brought in pond snails. But at least the tank cycled soon after.

temp around 23-26celcius with air conditioner, 24 hour light would raise the temp, there no winter season here,

and the outside of the room got 34-39 d C

using 9L substrate, 1 sack

i will be patient and wait for 1 or 2 more month, since it's still hot out there, not good time to start new tank

still not satisfied with the fact there no biofilm after 2 month LOL,

i thought the amazonia could create biofilm along with the bactery

Edited by salvanost

Amazonia normally takes about 2 months to cycle with that much soil. Low pH slows good bacterial growth anyways. Do you have anything media from an older tank that can help kickstart it?

it's allright

i got probiodio biodigest

i will use it later after 1 more 50% wc

gonna lower the ammonia first

• 2 weeks later...

still waiting for the cycle, the ammonia still spike from 1(after wc) to 4

here some pic from my tank number 1, dunno is it taitibe or just red bee grade c LOL

2a60db6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i just realize something important

the shrimplets eating at the right breeding sponge

it got more small pore than the left side breeding sponge

looks like they like the small pore better than the bigger pore

here 2 days age shrimplet from blue bolt, hope i get good taitibe/pinto from this one

2jadkyh.jpg

Edited by salvanost