Biofilm alternative

fishmosy

As long as it doesn't contain any restricted ingredients it should be fine. If it is a high risk (biologically it may need to be treated(methyl bromide) which may end up being more than the cost of the product itself.

Edited by inverted

Bugger, I guess ill stop waiting for the foods and start waiting for the letter explaining why they confiscated it then :(

Nice! So jelly!

I realize this thread is rather old, but has anyone tested this further?

Is this a viable alternative to the cubes I make with agar-agar? I am bio-film challenged and looking for supplements.

Also.... Would the shrimp care if it was "broken cell" Chlorella vs whole cell?

As far as the original idea goes, it works really well and the shrimp fed off it (tested on cherries, CRS, chameleons and Paratya). However with the rise of cheap, nutritious shrimp foods, such as Boss Aquarias shrimp crack and snow, and increased demands on my time, I've stopped making it.

Agar agar will work as a binding agent for foods. I think 3-4% by weight is a good starting point for getting the right consistency.

With regards to broken cell vs. whole cell, I don't believe there would be much difference because as shrimp are grazers, (I assume) they would have a mechanism of breaking down the cells of the algae they consume.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@buck  What is your experience with the "bacter ae"?

I tried it, only fed it once. while the shrimp seemed to enjoy it, they all seemed to get lethargic for a while. Not their normmal active ever-grazing selves. They would eat for a while, then be motionless for while. It was almost like shrimp valium! :huh:

I use bacter ae.... It creates a lot of biofilm.... My shrimp hardly eat anything I put in the tank because they have enough.

Can't say I noticed them getting high :D

• Like 1

I’ve been feeding it to mine for a while now and I really like it, the shrimp just wonder around eating it.  my tanks fairly heavily stocked atm so I still feed other things ( I like to very there diet) they seem to really like the baby food too. It’s not a powder but really small granules so everyone gets some!