DAS

jayc

Only started out with half a dozen, wanted to make sure these guys can breed in freshwater without a brackish phase.

Yeah, she is saddled. It's amazing how you can see the eggs already.

I tried to breed DAS without success in freshwater even when they are heavily saddled. They really need a brackish water set up for the eggs to be fertilised and survive.

• Like 1

I was afraid of that. Hence the reason I started with only a few.

• 1 month later...

I have two female DAS heavily berried. 

The eggs are way too tiny to look like they will succeed in freshwater though.  :sad:

I used to have DAS and the eggs can certainly be fertilized, develop and hatch into planktonic young in fresh water. I even put females into separate tanks and slowly raised the salinity to try to get some young surviving - one tank still has the dates and salinities written on the front glass! I don't think salinity is necessarily the issue as popular belief would suggest. It's having the phytoplankton supply for food that's critical, and the salinity and higher pH perhaps supports that better. I personally think that if you supply a good amount of fine powder food like spirulina or chlorella you could succeed. If you want the salinity info I used you're welcome. I'll bet Dave Wilson at Aquagreen could be more helpful than me though.