Im Really Not that Suss.....

SUSS8

Hey All,

The name Muss & within the last few months have put something I have wanted to do in a long time into motion. I am a MASSIVE fan of betta fish and have purchased a display barracks and I am beginning to look around for some beautiful examples of some betta's. At the moment I have 3 Halfmoons and looking at purchasing some plakats etc...I was recently at a LFS and came across some Crystal Red Shrimp and I was mesmerized. He had put a spinach leaf in there and I couldnt stop watching these amazing creatures just come out of all their little hiding places and go crazy. Upon doing some research (alot of late nights worth I should mention) I have come to the point where I would love to own some of my own. I have made myself accustom to the grading, feeding, caring etc and thats what landed me to this website!!

I came across this little tank and I just wanted some expert opinions on what you think..Is this suitable enough tank ? Would this be suitable to breed? and Im sure alot of you may have seen this kit already.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Nano-Shrimp-Habitat-7-9-gallon/dp/B0047XTV3I

A Fluval EBI Nano Shrimp Habitat.

I hope to be able to get to know alot of you and please feel free to express your opinions and suggestions. I am like a blank book and willing to learn from the best.

Kind Regards,

Muss!! :congratulatory:

Thanks Loach!! && I so agree with your sig!......unless its a Ford V8 then you got real issues! :smiley_simmons: lol

Welcome to SKF Muss.

My opinion is bigger is always better when it comes to aquariums. So my advice is to go with the biggest you can afford. That said alot of the members here seem to do well with nano tanks, so I'll let them advise you as to whether this may suit you.

Thanks Fishmosy, Id love to purchase something bigger but I have just crossed over to MT Syndrome, A 30L community Tank, 4ft Barracks, 3 10L tanks. So the boss say's if I want another tank a Nano Is the biggest Im Allowed haha...If I even mention something bigger Id have pushed my luck over the top lol

Welcome to SKF, with a name like that and being from Melb i think it all sounds a little suss to me :)

nano tanks are good but pose many problems that larger tanks dont. so like above post best to get bigger if the budget can allow and eliminate some of the problems with being new to keeping shrimp from the start.

hope you enjoy your time here and learn plenty

Thanks Loach!! && I so agree with your sig!......unless its a Ford V8 then you got real issues! :smiley_simmons: lol

Haha, not a fan of the new fords, but the old models 20's to 70's were awesome! :victorious:

Whats wrong with melbourne Dean huh ? loll ....I haven't really found any information on what a suitable size tank would be for CRS, How many would you say be suitable for the Nano?

Haha' date=' not a fan of the new fords, but the old models 20's to 70's were awesome! :victorious:[/quote']

HQ Monaro for the win!!!

I would go for a 2 or 3fter if you can. Remember' date=' the shrimp do breed ;)[/quote']

I could do with 2-4, Just to see how I go with the whole process of caring and breeding!

Im just wondering if anyone is able to point me in the direction of obtaining a premium membership? I'm always happy to contribute to a forum especially when you gain the amount of knowledge that you do from forums now a days.

For some reason I'm like, Aye I like this guy... Then I read the HQ Monaro post and was like, yup def like this guy!

Welcome to the forum!

If you decide to go with the nano option I'd suggest starting out with some Cherry shrimp. They're a little more forgiving and don't require the exact parameters that CRS need.

They're a very good starter shrimp, And are very cool in their own rights. Many experienced breeders even with all their fancy shrimp still have Cherries floating around somewhere.

I wouldn't bother with the fluval nano shrimp thing though. Yeah they look cool, But personally I think buying each item individually will give you better quality in parts and allow you to custom it to your needs/wants.

Triggs your my new best friend lol...

It just seemed like a convenient setup (which what they were marketing it for) but in saying that I'll really have to go through some of other people's setup and have a look what I like and what would work.

It was just the size and everything in one that attracted me to it the only thing I wouldnt use is the substrate...I read it's not the best

Everything will make sense soon enough :) we have a great community hear at SKF and im sure you will enjoy your time here and fit right in :encouragement:

Im just wondering if anyone is able to point me in the direction of obtaining a premium membership? I'm always happy to contribute to a forum especially when you gain the amount of knowledge that you do from forums now a days.

Hi Muss, welcome to the forum, I echo triggs suggestion and start with cherries, There are a lot of fantastic colours and variations in them, and they are a lot cheeper to start with. Be patient, take the time to learn, ask lots of questions and enjoy learning about shrimp keeping. In around 12 months you should know enough to venture into the more exocotic and expensive shrimp. ENJOY!

I will be taking all your advice. Reading up more I have read that the higher grade shrimp are alot more sensitive and I don't want to throw myself in the deep end straight off the bat ! I really appreciate everyones advice it has been great

Thanks Jess!!

Just wondering if any one knows of an LFS in Melbourne west with healthy shrimp & also equipment ?

Thanks Jess!!

Just wondering if any one knows of an LFS in Melbourne west with healthy shrimp & also equipment ?

You could try Footscray Aquarium & Hydroponics. They sometimes have shrimp in, I'd call first to check for availability

Also as loach said try bossaquaria. His shrimp are top notch and a very nice bloke to chat with.

Its been a little while since I have been on the forum...I havent got any more updates as yet & havent purchased a nano tank or anything!!! I was hoping to get this all sorted by now but one of my bettas has finrot and the other fin nipping signs! So i am having to treat them and all my attention is there atm. Butt hopefully soon Ill have more of an update!!!

Tiny:

dscf0334yb.jpg

Valentine:

dscf0333q.jpg

cool looking Betta's.... not my thing really but still very nice, welcome to SKF