Chiller

Ronskitz

Hey SKFers just after a bit of advice on a chiller thats not too much for my current tank (55L) but one that i could then get going on a 150L setup any advise is greatly appreciated cheers

Ron

Ok im thinking that the hailea hc 150 is what im after but according to LFS this will be too much for my 55 is that even correct considering its got temp cutoffs to me that would mean it would be more efficient electrcity wise??

Cheers Ron

haha, funny i was just thinking about this today, and started searching for some, since its 37c today tank got up to 25c, so need to do something about it, ill be waiting on replys :)

ill be looking for something far cheaper though, but interested in what people recommend :P

Edited by perplex

Ron,

go with whichever suits your budget.

The Hailea150 is sufficient for cooling your 55L tank.

But then again, so is the Hailea 100.

As for brands, the Hailea and Resun brands are ok.

Resun is a bit cheaper.

JBJ is a great all rounder in efficiency, quietness and price.

Teco is a step up in price and emphasises on quietness. The TC range has heater incorporated, so you can do away with traditional heaters.

Tradewinds always seem to come out on top of reviews - but don't know where you can buy this in Oz.

Tip -

Whatever chiller you end up with, the worst thing you can do for it is to store it in an enclosed cabinet, like the aquarium cabinet.

The heat just circulates and the unit becomes inefficient.

The chiller's radiator needs to be outside a cabinet to access cool air and expel hot air.

Another tip -

Once you have more than one tank to cool, and you don't have a sump type setup, and you start getting into the $thousands, you might as well look into reserve cycle air conditioners that will cool the whole room.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 3

haha, funny i was just thinking about this today, and started searching for some, since its 37c today tank got up to 25c, so need to do something about it, ill be waiting on replys :)

ill be looking for something far cheaper though, but interested in what people recommend :P

37? Pfft, we were 41 here, only 3.5 hours away, I remember in Jan this year when we hit 51c!

Tank was alright today though, had air cons on all day mind you, ha.

37? Pfft, we were 41 here, only 3.5 hours away, I remember in Jan this year when we hit 51c!

Tank was alright today though, had air cons on all day mind you, ha.

weak!!! who uses aircon hahahha, im a steady 30c inside, lucky shrimp are down stiars :) 24 down there, decided to unplug heater and i just bought a pump and some connectors to try make a cooler :O for $30 bucks, ill see how it goes before i show it off

Ron,

go with whichever suits your budget.

The Hailea150 is sufficient for cooling your 55L tank.

But then again, so is the Hailea 100.

As for brands, the Hailea and Resun brands are ok.

Resun is a bit cheaper. 

JBJ is a great all rounder in efficiency, quietness and price.

Teco is a step up in price and emphasises on quietness. The TC range has heater incorporated, so you can do away with traditional heaters.

Tradewinds always seem to come out on top of reviews - but don't know where you can buy this in Oz.

Tip -

Whatever chiller you end up with, the worst thing you can do for it is to store it in an enclosed cabinet, like the aquarium cabinet. 

The heat just circulates and the unit becomes inefficient.

The chiller's radiator needs to be outside a cabinet to access cool air and expel hot air.

Another tip - 

Once you have more than one tank to cool, and you don't have a sump type setup, you start looking getting into the $thousands, you might as well look into reserve cycle air conditioners that will cool the whole room.

This is quite informative. helps me out a lot. maybe its time to move my tank into a smaller room instead.

Thanks Jayc

Thanks Jayc much appreciated now to do some more research as i think this will make a good chrissy present lol

Ok chiller money is out of reach at this stage but luckily iv found a LFS that does payment plans so i will have a one by next summer but now to get through this one with fans and insulation

• HOF Member

Last summer my shrimp survived the heatwave here in Adelaide while I was away for 2 weeks. I only had the lights on at night for a few hours -set automatically. In my shrimp room the ceiling fan was left on medium and all the lids were off the tanks. I only have evaporative aircon that doesn't work great when the weather is humid or extremely hot however I left it set to come on if the temp reached 25. For my TB and Crystal tanks I used 12v computer fans with a temperature controller that came on at 24 and switched of at 22. I used 2 fans on my 24" tanks and 3 fans on my 3ft tank. I came home to berried girls and lots of babies so they obviously were not affected by the heat and it was very hot while we were away. It is not ideal but the fans are cheap and the controllers are too. The power packs are the most expensive component but you can source them at a reasonable price from overseas. 

• Like 1

Last summer my shrimp survived the heatwave here in Adelaide while I was away for 2 weeks. I only had the lights on at night for a few hours -set automatically. In my shrimp room the ceiling fan was left on medium and all the lids were off the tanks. I only have evaporative aircon that doesn't work great when the weather is humid or extremely hot however I left it set to come on if the temp reached 25. For my TB and Crystal tanks I used 12v computer fans with a temperature controller that came on at 24 and switched of at 22. I used 2 fans on my 24" tanks and 3 fans on my 3ft tank. I came home to berried girls and lots of babies so they obviously were not affected by the heat and it was very hot while we were away. It is not ideal but the fans are cheap and the controllers are too. The power packs are the most expensive component but you can source them at a reasonable price from overseas. 

what did you use to turn it on and off? once it got to its temp?

R u in Sydney ?

If you are then I have a chiller you can have for free

It's a teco

Lucky guy :)

Edited by perplex

: SURPRISE :

$1,000,000 for you my friend

You'll give me a $1M as well!!!

Deal !!!  :lol:

• HOF Member

what did you use to turn it on and off? once it got to its temp?

Lucky guy :)

the temperature controller switches the fan on and off.

R u in Sydney ?

If you are then I have a chiller you can have for free

It's a teco

Mate right now i wish i was lol thanks heeeeeeaps for the offer your a champ :) but im in perth i know they are bloody heavy but what do you think they would sting me for shipping and would you be willing to ship it? Edited by Ronskitz

I was searching the net for ideas and came across a guy that dropped his tank 10 degrees by cutting up a car sun visor that you put on your windscreen to all the right size of all 4 sides then do the same with cardboard and apply the visor to the cardboard and he essentially made an insulated wrap for his tank and then put a desk fan on the surface. But cheers Ineke il look into the fans with controllers

Buy a chiller which does more then you require. I had the same thoughts as you bigger unit means its operating for less time to cool the water more efficiently, plus i knew i am eventually going to run a sump setup therefor i dont have to invest even more money :)

I have a hailea HC 500-A running on just a standard 4ftr

• Like 2

For my TB and Crystal tanks I used 12v computer fans with a temperature controller that came on at 24 and switched of at 22.

Hi, can you please share what kind of temperature controller do you use? I am also using a fan for my 40L tank and have been thinking how to control it. Thanks!

Hi, can you please share what kind of temperature controller do you use? I am also using a fan for my 40L tank and have been thinking how to control it. Thanks!

you should be able to use this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Temperature-Control-Switch-DC12V-50-110-C-Digital-Heat-Cool-Temp-Thermostat-/381026434545?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item58b6f1fdf1

set it so at 23c it turns on, hopping it doesnt turn off when it gets higher, but if you know abit about electronics you should be able to make it work, i think it should work but dont quote me on it, i have bought one to mess around on, have a little read to see if you think it will work before you buy

Edited by perplex

• HOF Member

google Willhi digital temperature controller model WH7016C they are complete and less than $20 but you do need a power pack to run them.They are easy to setup to come on and go off at whatever temp you want. They have a temperature probe that goes into the tank.