Treating algae infected plants, without killing the plant

jayc

In reference to the conversation that started in this thread ... http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/index.php/topic/7693-prevent-algae-going-everywhere/?view=getnewpost

where Ozshrimp mentioned that he had to dispose of a plant due to it being infested with algae ... I have started this thread in the hopes of helping others who might have the same issue.

Have you ever had a prized plant that was infested with algae?

The algae has grown in between your plant and has become one big mass of algae and plant. To the point of not knowing where the plant started and where the algae ended?

Where manual removal is too difficult, and futile cause the algae just grows back, and where spot dosing with Excel/glut/Dino spit would kill sensitive plants like mosses, pellia or fissiden?

Using regular algaecides on plants will kill delicate and sensitive plants like pellia and mosses.

Well, I have found one product to be different. And I have tested it with great success with my own algae infested plants.

I have mini pellia that had Staghorn algae and BBA growing through it. My Peacock moss was also infested with Staghorn. Manually pulling it out was destroying my delicate mini pellia. And it was fuitle ... the algae would just grow back in a matter of days.

I had to researched a better way of treating algae, that had interwoven itself into the mini pellia.

The moss, I wasn't too fussed about. But pellia is more precious to me.

I came across a product that showed promise. Searching for local retailers brought me to two. And by luck both are SKF sponsors !!! 

: MIAO : Cha-ching! 

What's this product?

EasyLife AlgExit.

20141013_084842_zps6cde8418.jpg

20141013_084859_zps032b39d0.jpg

Notice it will treat filamentous algae - that's the staghorn, hair and string algae, Brush and beard algae.

Notice also that it says it is safe on plants and shrimp.

I can personally vouch for the safe with shrimp and plants statement, within reason.

It is safe with higher order leafy plants. It is also safe with delicate mosses, pellia and fissidens AS LONG AS you don't use too much of the product and leave the plants soaking in it for longer than 3 days.

How do I know this? Well I tested the limits, so you don't have to.

(Warning: Do NOT follow this example - it is a test of limits to see what dosage will harm plants)

I put in a small bunch of mini pellia into a plastic container, with just enough water to cover the plant ... approx 100ml of water. In this container I added 1ml of AlgExit. Left it for 5 days.

Please note the dosage according to the instructions is 10ml per 100Litres. Or 1ml per 10L.

So 1ml of AlgExit in 100ml of water is many times over the dosage. (anyone want to try calculating how many times over?)

Inadvertently, a shrimplet (1mm) came along with the ride in the plant. 

Didn't notice it until about 15-30 minutes into the treatment.

The shrimplet was removed from the container, and survives to this day.

At this crazy overdose levels and 5 days of treatment the mini pellia is now showing signs of not surviving. It's back in my tank now, to see if it pulls through. Needless to say, the algae on that test plant was all dead.

(End of warning. Recommended treatment method follows below)

However, with more reasonable levels of dosage my mosses and mini pellia will survive even harsh dosage treatments.

The following is proof.

20141013_084703_zpsd603b93b.jpg

Mini pellia that was treated about 2 months ago. Not a sign of BBA, brush algae or staghorn.

The plant is very much alive and thriving.

20141013_084750_zps769acf59.jpg

This is a more recent treatment. Started 6 days ago.

I had algae growing on the stainless steel mesh as well as in the mini pellia.

Notice the algae is now purple? This will turn white in a few days and die off. the shrimp will graze on it too. But the pellia is unharmed.

20141013_084638_zps12b2510d.jpg

Same plant, another view.

Notice the purple bits in between the Pellia? That's the dying algae, but the pellia itself is a lush green.

I have managed to clear it out/eradicate/kill the algae within 3days, without killing the mini pellia.

This is the treatment method.

1) Remove the plant for treatment into a bucket.

2) Add enough water to cover the plant. Make a note of the amount of water used.

3) Add up to 10 times the dosage. Recommended dosage was too slow.

4) Keep the algae infested plant in AlgExit for no more than 3 days.

5) Remove and rinse with clean water.

6) Return to tank and observe the algae. If it has not changed colour in the next day or two, return to the treatment bucket for another day or 2. Repeat from step 5 until algae changes colour.

eg. I use a 1Litre container for mini pellia, it's only a small plant. I'd add 500ml of water and 1ml of AlgExit. (yes it's more than the recommendation above, but I'm a Pro at it now  : CRAZY : )

I remove after 3 days , and that is what you see in the picture above. All the algae has turned purple on the steel mesh.

You can treat it in the tank, but you'd have to use more of the product. And I suggest following the manufacturers dosage.

But this method will treat the algae infected plant in a targeted approach without impacting the main tank, at a much faster rate.

You can get the Easy Life AlgExit from our favourite sponsors Age of Aquariums and Tech Den.

Hope you found this useful.

If it saves you from throwing away a plant, let me know. I get encouragement that I have helped someone else, and we get confirmation it works.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 9

Thanks JayC

I have had a big algae issue with some of my moss and was contemplating throwing it out but I will definitely give this a go now.

I've been using EasyLife BlueExit for bluegreen algae issues in a couple of tanks and it works great. I also found it actually reduces and loosens other algae; filamentous and beard, which makes them easy to siphon out.

I'll get myself some of this as well. : COOLGLARE :

I've got a small bottle of Blue Exit as well.  :thumbsu:

But have not had a chance to use it. - No BGA in my tanks. 

I use it to treat new plants I might have bought, before I add them into my own tanks.

Can never be too careful.

That's the other use for these products. Use it to clean plants you might have bought from others.

Thanks for the write up, Does this stuff expire?

You're welcome.

I don't remember an expiry date on the bottle. I'll check tonight.

Found a date on the bottle - 06/2016.

So it has an expiry date.

Edited by jayc

Oh one more thing I've found with EasyLife Alg Exit.
The manufacturer probably doesn't even know this (at least I'd like to claim it :P)

This product has a side effect. A positive side effect in my books.

It kills nematodes.

Those little white wriggly worms are stone cold dead in my treatment bucket.
They hitched a ride on the mini pellia.

So not only does this kill algae, it also kills nematodes, but doesn't harm fish, shrimps or plants within certain dosage limits.
This is product is the shizzz.

Edited by jayc

im going to get me some of this!!!!, i never knew how to get rid of algae on plants till now!

i ended up killing my grandmas plant trying to get rid of algae...

i think i got some blackbeard starting from plants i got from other people so i need to get rid of it asap

how long will it take if you treat all of your tank? at the recommended dosage? am i right in saying 4 weeks?

The Tech Den have a different colour bottle. is that the newer one?

Edited by perplex

how long will it take if you treat all of your tank? at the recommended dosage? am i right in saying 4 weeks?

The Tech Den have a different colour bottle. is that the newer one?

I'd recommend treating plants or ornaments out of the tank, if possible.

Uproot plants if you can. The treatment dosage can be increased and done in fewer days.

Treating in tank at the recommended dosage will not only take longer but also kill off all the "good" algae that the shrimp graze on.

As petfish mentioned, the newer stock are black coloured bottles.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Update.

This is the same Mini Pellia today. Algae all gone white and has died off.

20141024_200434_zps378fa362.jpg

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

United States. I did find it on Amazon after emailing the company. They only have one reseller here. The small bottle is $28 + shipping. Little more expensive then I was expecting but the review sounds like it might be worth it.

United States. I did find it on Amazon after emailing the company. They only have one reseller here. The small bottle is $28 + shipping.

Glad you found it. I was going to point you to our forum sponsors. But the shipping costs would have been a killer. The small bottle for us is $19.95 here.

I have started using this on my new wall tank (700+L) that has been set up 3 months or so ago. As with all new set ups until a balance is reached it is inevitable to have some algae issues.

IMG_4764_zps9fbf9923.jpg

Anyway I had all sorts of algae starting to grow from green filamentous to black to green spot. I just started using this product directly in the tank last Saturday (19th) and in one week alone you could see that it has hit the algae hard. Treatment in tank is recommended for once a week for 4 weeks and this past weekend I added the second dose.

I have to say I am very impressed with this product and I am going to start using it in my fishroom as well.

Another awesome thing that happened is that I did have any new algae growth on the aquarium glass since adding the product in the tank!!! At this rate my super dooper algae scrapers are not going to be used much at all!!! : SHOUT :

My actual concern in the tank at the moment is whether the Otocinclus catfish going to be able to find enough food in the tank!!!

Edited by KillieOrCory
  • Like 1

Woo Hoo!

Glad to see you are having success with this product too.  :thumbsu:

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone provide me With a link to this product please, when I look in the sponsors site I seem to only find everything but this

Thanks

Can someone provide me With a link to this product please, when I look in the sponsors site I seem to only find everything but this

Thanks

http://www.thetechden.com.au/Algae_Killer_Remover_s/1967.htm

or

Under "Buffers and Liquids" at AOA.

https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/buffers_and_liquids.php?page=5&instid=8170