Tibee, Taitibee, Pinto, Mischling, F1, F2 terms explained

• HOF Member

I didn't know what else to call them - I'm interested in finding out what they should be called because I have soooooo many of them :)

Do you guys ever post pictures of your shrimps? 

Since it's all hybrids it's hard to guess what they look like.

• HOF Member

These are a few TaiTibee and TIBEE/ Mischling types I have. I also have some spotted head white body with black skirt - also in red, I still need to get some pictures of them. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.9c48d6d264840b8d8675c29b

image.thumb.jpg.938e22f021ae7de4c1a24739

image.thumb.jpg.532e988598f554fb164793bf

image.thumb.jpg.5732076c47c0245a78ad99a0

• 4 weeks later...

They are some pretty good looking shrimp Ineke and Thank you a lot jayc all this info is extremely helpful, like i was having a fair bit of trouble finding out what pintos were. I never new that they were those specific variations and they are amazing, they are definitely on my list.

You're welcome LC. And welcome to SKF. There are a lot more gems like this on the forum. 

• 1 month later...

I know this topic has been quiet for a while, but I have a question re Tibees and Taitibees.  I had a Tibee in my tank with my TB for about 6 months before it passed away.  I thought that was that until I started seeing the previous few sets of juvies get big enough to have visible markings, and so I think I have a Taitibee as a result of the Tibee x shadow panda.  (Crappy photo under poor light sorry).

20969340995_1fdbe18d54_z.thumb.jpg.75eb1

Ok, so far, so (kind of) simple.  Since the original Tibee is no longer in the tank, the Taitibee in the picture above matured, turned out to be female and had offspring by another TB (could have been a BB, shadow panda or KK).  Now I have her offspring in the tank with very similar markings, but I can't tell what I should call them.  Is it a Taitaitibee?  Or is a Taitibee x TB still just a Taitibee?  Or, is it just a TB with am interesting pattern?

20781386898_ed38f43b74_z.thumb.jpg.6eb9e

• 3 months later...

ok, finally I read it again, don't know how much I back to read again till now, but I think for now, will read it again with carefully and when I'm in relax condition, So I can keep it in My mind, thanks again Jayc

ok, Friends, is that true, Taiwan bee crossed with Tiger, the all shrimplets will always become Taitibee ?

• 1 month later...

I got 20 CBS A/S grade in less than 5 months I got 3 black king kong and 2 pandas, should I consider lucky that i got TWB of CBS or probably I got mischilling instead of CBS , but i read that mischilling X mischilling does not produce TWBs,  very confusing .

41 minutes ago, Michel.ca said:

should I consider lucky that i got TWB of CBS or probably I got mischilling instead of CBS

That would depend on what you wanted in the first place. If I already had mischlings and really wanted pure CBS, then yes, I would be unhappy. What you got are not CBS and you could never sell them as CBS. If you don't have an issue with that, then that's no problem. 

The principal of the sale however is a different story. Deception is never ok. 

41 minutes ago, Michel.ca said:

mischilling X mischilling does not produce TWBs

It's rare, that mischling x mischling produces TWB, unless the TWB genes are strong in the mischling - which means they are several generations old, and have been mixed back with pure TWBs. 

So yeah, the original seller cannot plead ignorance in this case.

Edited by jayc

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Wish I found this earlier, very useful and interesting to read!!! Loved the explanation of filial numbering, since I have heard and used the term before but never had such a clear definition of it. Thanks Jayc!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, mmoner said:

Is there a Tibee chart we can refer?

No, not that I know of.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!
    • GtWalker97
      Hi SKF!   So I bought some PRL (or at least they were sold as such. These claims are dubious in Australia as people don't know much about the genetics, nor do they care as long as they can make a quick buck). After 8 generations of breeding true, I'm having around 1 in 200 throw a much darker red. They almost look like Red Shadows, but I don't know too much about those types of hybrid. Can anyone help with ID'ing the gene?   TIA (First 2 pics are the weird throws, second photo is their siblings and the last photo is the parents)