hello from Farma

Farma

Hi Josh welcome mate. thanks for joining us all here :)

hows the fish going? did you ever end up getting a mangrove jack?

naaa i couldnt get hold of one, had a cod for a while and then ditched that and the bullrouts and have the tank planted out for some filesnakes im getting this week, (their a project iv been after for a few years now) had almost a 20ltr bucket of java moss i have to chuck out from the old set up so i started looking into the shrimp idea as i have alot of driftwood covered in moss just lying around doing nothing and im starting to like the shrimp idea, from keeping fish and turtles etc iv never had any luck keeping shrimp alive though so its good to have somewhere to throw alot of questions too

as i have no shrimp yet I'll throw up a pic of one of the planted tanks as i know you all love pics

IMG_0832.jpg

and heres a few moss logs, if you want to cover a log on moss iv found it alot easier to grow it out of water first, it covers better and alot faster but will grow strandy again after being submerged so needs alot of trimming

IMG_1594.jpgIMG_1593.jpgIMG_1598.jpg

Welcome to the forum, Farma!

Loving the moss logs... Can you share some information on you emmersed setup?

its nothing flash lol .......... for the smaller logs i just have trays of water around 2-4cm deep so as the wood can soak up the water to stay wet/moist, the larger logs are in trays also but you will need to have a sprinkler or mister set up over them so as the higher pieces dont dry out, the smaller pieces i have out in full sun for at least half the day the larger ones do better in a shade or green house as it wont take long for the sun to dry them out in summer

Welcome Farma, the moss driftwood is awsome:)

+1 to the moss, that is great looking coverage. i just made a bunch of new peacock moss covered logs and am keen to see them looking as good as this!

well peacock or xmas moss would be a much better choice than the java

Too correct LOL. Peacock moss FTW!

i agree i love peacock moss! but i heard java is better for shrimp? anyone got personal experience?

I think java is preferred by some big breeders as its readily available and grows FaST!! It's stringy nature probably allows easier spotting of shrimp also.

• 2 weeks later...