B3NN0's first tank journal

B3nn0

Hey guys

I have recently joined SKF to start my journey into shrimp and semi planted tanks

I have kept tropicals for about 7 years now and kept a large veriaty of species from tanganyika cichlids

Through to American cichlids to L number catfish and most other tropicals tried my hand at marine but

I had to pull out due to work being over demanding but now it's time for me to get into shrimp.

tank - resun DMS-400 48L

550L/ph internal drop filter in rear

2x15w compact Fluro bulbs 1 blue 1 white

Internal fan built into hood for hot days

I recently purchased this tank 2nd hand

So I decided to go buy a Pisces shrimp decor kit (galaxy)

Along with 10 neon tetras to cycle the tank over the next few weeks they will possibly

Stay once tanked is cycled but I am thinking I might change out my substrate for some

Benibachi soil. So I am 1 step closer to being able to add some shrimp,

I am only going to start with some cherrys not fussed on grade but will be more

Grade specific once I learn the ropes so to say =P

So here is a few snaps of my scape so far will be looking for some nice ground cover and plants shortly if

Anyone has some they would like to move on I would love to buy some =]

IMG_20140926_21010_edit_1411729279206_zp

Edited by B3nn0

Looks very cool dude, just be careful that those rocks don't affect your TDS or GH & KH, but other than that it will look sweet with some shrimpies in there. Good luck with it & don't forget to ask as many questions as you like, there's no such thing as a dumb question here. :thumbsu:

will be checking all my peramiters shortly i will give it a week to do its thing.

so with feeding and minerals what do you suggest?

and with mosses do you recomend Co2 or just ferts if so what types and brands?

Ok this is another shameless plug but Shrimp Crack is a great food & you should wait till your tank cycles before you start thinking about minerals. Are you using tap water? What shrimp are you thinking of keeping?

Most mosses don't need CO2 or ferts, I don't use either with my tanks & they grow just fine. :thumbsu:

Edited by Squiggle

Just cherry for the time being until I get a bit more experience with shrimp my plan was to finish the cycle and slowly introduce some shrimp drip acclimatize and using tank water as I do with my other tanks and I will do the no co2 or forts and see how I go =) do one of the forum sponsors sell this shrimp crack lol

i wouldn't worry about benabachi siol unless you want to keep CRS, CBS, TIBEE etc etc etc ,cherry's are very hardy and will be fine in most tank's, but if you want the population to multiply then don't have fish in the tank as fish love baby shrimplets to eat. click on The TechDen logo at the top of the page, we have lot's of shrimp related GOODIES.

• 2 weeks later...

so have sourced a fair bit of stuff and narrowed my search to red rillis as I think they look awesome but a week has

passed from when I started my tank and results are

ph- 8

ammonia - .25

nitrate - 80ppm+

done a 40% wc and will check tomorrow but been in contact with a fella with some yellow cherrys so might do a mic with the rillis but might not I don't mind the interbreeding I will just cull the bad lookers =P

Tank looks great. Try to give it as much time to cycle before getting your shrimp in!

You're right the yellows and rillis will interbreed, but it depends on what your end goal is. If you're just looking to keep them and get experience there's no harm in that. The red and yellow in the same tank looks pretty cool!

Keep up the great work.

If you are planning on moving on to the other shrimp in the future start saving your pennies for a Reverse osmosis unit and a chiller as they will make your life alot easier and other shrimp like CRS wont last the summer in high temps.

I had red rili blue genes then got rid of them but had bred with some blue cherries and now i am finding lots of yellows and 2 yellow rilis.

You will really enjoy the shrimps, I to have just gotten into shrimp keeping and have red cherries in my community tank with fish, it keeps the numbers down but they are breeding like crazy and having alot of cover helps them over come hungry fish, I started with 10 shrimp and now I'm up to around 40+ :)

i am hoping my numbers explode mech i will end up having the yellows in my 3ft community with dense moss and plants and will most likely have the crs in this tank or get the fever and build a rack =S

but will definantly have a ro unit coming soon i use tank water for my setups and a bonus is my room dont go over 26c so lights out and fan running on the lid of tank that it came with built in will keep the

temps down.