Sign in to follow this  
OzShrimp

How do you change your buffering soil?

OzShrimp

I have raised this in a minor context previously however would like to readdress as i still have not addressed my issue.

How do you change your buffering soil (benibachi, shrimp sand etc) once the buffering capacity is extinguished without impacting on the shrimp with possible ammonia spikes from the new stuff?

My dilemma is i have a 4 ft tank breeding CRS and shrimplets and my Up Aqua shrimp and is no longer buffering as it about 2 years old. I want to replace it but i am too scared to just remove it and add new soil but i dont have a sister tank running identical paremeters which the shrimp could temporarily take refuge in whilst i do so.

So i would like to hear your tried and tested solutions for how you address this issue? 

jayc

Would soaking the new substrate in a separate bucket with old tank water help?

That would help leach ammonia out before you add it to the new tank (minus the water of course).

Adding the new substrate a little at a time will also help reduce ammonia spike.

Aldi has a 65L tub on sale today. You could use that to pre-soak new substrate to remove some ammonia.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/wednesday-24-september-2014/wednesday-detail-wk39/ps/p/tough-strong-storage-tub-65l/

OzShrimp

Lol its an 8hr drive to aldi for me :). I have considered that method but wanting to see if someone has used it.

Surely theres people in the same predicament that have done soil change ><

Edited by OzShrimp

jayc

LOL. 8 hrs! 

It was only a suggestion of course. You can chose to use any old bucket.

There arent too many options unfortunately.

Either you bite the bullet and change the whole lot in one go. Which means catching shrimp into another tank or container.

OR

You change it a bit at a time.

Using Cal Aqua Labs BEP or Benibachi is easier, since the ammonia spike isn't as bad as say ADA Amazonia aquasoil.

OzShrimp

Yeah i wouldnt use ADA it would be another shrimp substrate, coming up to summer i dont want to be holding my shrimp in a container even with my tried ad tested method in a container. Knowing my luck i would hit one of our many 50 degree days whilst their in there.

2OFUS

Add a pack or 2 of benibachi fulvic grain

It will buff your water again for 6/12 months

OzShrimp

I havea 4 ftr so would you suggest 3-4 packs?

ineke

alternatively you can siphon out some of the old substrate -maybe a quarter of the tank- add new substrate slowly to minimise dust but you will get some clouding regardless- let that settle for a few days and then do another quarter etc. I have done this without problems and must have been told by someone else on the forum at some stage. keep an eye out for ammonia spike but if you siphon carefully you should be OK.

I know it works and my shrimp have been fine. Eshrimp suggested moving all the plants to one side so the shrimplets will be away from the area you are suctioning as they will stay near the moss.. The soil comes out quite well but keep an eye on how much water you are taking out as you will need to replace it with fresh water.

• Like 2

Eshrimp

+1 with Ineke.

Ronskitz

Add a pack or 2 of benibachi fulvic grain

It will buff your water again for 6/12 months

As per this post my buffering soil has expired and iv purchased the fulvic grain but im wondering how long this product takes to buffer completely im adding a bit at a time but dont want to add more if the first bit is still bringing ph down so if i had a rough timeline on how fast it works would be good.

Cheers

Ron

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      Ahhh ... the age old question of how to trigger your shrimp to breed. We will have to assume you have at least 1 male. What are you feeding them? Feed frozen bloodworms twice a week. The additional protein will give them more energy. Add more Indian Almond Leaves (aka Cattapa leaves) to the tank to promote more tannins and biofilm. Try raising temps to 23C or 74F. A 10% water change might help the females moult.
    • jayc
      No it won't have all the minerals needed for plants. SS GH/KH+ is made up of Calcium carbonate, Magnesium.   Anubias is a slow growing plant, so it does not need much fertilisers. Mosses will grow with out any added ferts. Hairgrass and whatever you have in the back corner will survive without added ferts. Give it CO2 while your tanks is empty of shrimps.    Aim for 4-6 GH.  
    • Newday
      Hello, again.  I really appreciate everyone's wisdom on this topic.  Since I last posted, I lost my 29 gallon tropical freshwater aquarium to a sudden leak. 😞  Thankfully, I was able to save and rehome all the fish.  But, that means my 7 gallon shrimp tank received an upgrade wrt live plants and gravel.  I was hoping that would inspire some mating behavior, but I actually witnessed a female discharging what must be unfertilized eggs just this evening.  The male shrimp (I thought I had two, but now I'm questioning the other's sex after some weeks) is not doing his job and I can't figure out why.  I had to siphon out 50% of the water to move it from it's prior location beneath the 29 gallon.  I have not performed another water change in the nearly 3 weeks since the leak happened.  I check the parameters in the 7 gallon once a week and ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are 0ppm.  Temp remains at a steady 72 degrees.  The shrimp are as active as ever but that male is unexcited by a tank full of females.  No clue what to do next.😑
    • DEL 707
      I'm thinking of ordering that "Salty Shrimp - Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+". My only concern is, does it also have all the needed minerals for my plants? Edit - If I was to use my tap water, what kind of GH should I be aiming for?
    • sdlTBfanUK
      WOW, that's hard water all right! Amazing how different it is to mine as probably only about 25 miles between us???? You were right to use RO water so at least you have a good starting point from here in! The PH may be the biggest issue as remineralising with a shrimp specific GH/KH+ will sort everything else with RO water. Cherry shrimps are pretty tough and adaptable so will tolerate PH below 7 but the nearer you can get to 7 the better, and a long time acclimating the shrimps using a dripper (there is a tube with regulator sold by ProShrimp for about £10 I think if you don't already have something) will be needed! The soil will take longer to loose its PH buffering ability with the RO though! There are a number of ways you can go from here: 1) RO water plus a GH/KH+ and try to get the PH up somehow although you will be fighting the Soil until that exhausts its buffering ability. 2) You could mix RO and (dechlorinated) tap water at 3:1 and then use a GH+. I do a 50/50 'similar' (half tap water, half brita filtered water) on my oldest tank. can't even remember why but I believe in 'don't try and fix it if it isn't broken' so have just carried on ever since. The mixed water would start at PH 6.2, TDS 70(ish), GH just over 4, KH just under 4 and then you can mineralise it (GH+ only) for the rest. This will exhaust the soil buffering quicker than 1 above and you will save a bit on RO water, use less (about half as much) mineraliser etc. You may think this is a bit too fussy a route though, and the soil will still buffer anyway, just not for as long as all RO water, and when it stops buffering you will have a PH closer to the ideal for the shrimps. Probably where you are now I would just get the snails for now until you have stopped adjusting the water or at least decided where next, probably not much longer before you get shrimps. I would also try turning off the CO2 and just see if it is really needed, if it looks like it is you can easily turn it back on then, but shrimps will do better without it and it MAY not be needed, same for fertilisers??? At least you are doing all this before getting the shrimps, very smart as most of us have learnt the hard/wrong way................ Simon