Could 1 of these be the cause of missing shrimplets & strange shrimp deaths?

Jenbenwren

I used a macro lens on my iPhone to get pics of some critters I Syringed out of our substrate, and I think 1 of them might be Planaria.

post-868-0-57587400-1410706699_thumb.jpgpost-868-0-87954400-1410706731_thumb.jpg

This last pic is to give an idea on how small they are. They are in the 1-2 ml of water next to the 5cent piece

post-868-0-92324900-1410706754_thumb.jpg

I can't confirm what they are. Looks like a nematode and planaria, but I can't be sure.

<edit> - The nematodes I have seen are mainly white, so that one in your picture with the yellow middle is throwing me off from proclaiming that it is a nematode. 

However, if they are indeed nematodes and planaria, they would not be contributing to shrimplet deaths.

Poor water conditions, or the lack of biofilm or algae would be the most likely reasons. Or not enough food that is small enough for them to eat.

A few of these pests doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Look like planaria to me.

Planaria will have funny coloured guts/bodies when they eat. For example, after eating bloodworms they are a rich red. Maybe they have eaten something yellow.

Agree with jayc, they probably aren't the cause of shrimplet deaths unless there are lots and lots.

• Like 1

Thank you.

There were heaps of them, so I've started feeding every 2nd day. Except for the food I've ground up and syringe into the main areas the shrimplets hang out, I do that every day. There's also IAL in there and maple leaf, plus lots of plants, moss, some driftwood and I've never cleaned the algae off the back wall