Sign in to follow this  
Jenbenwren

Could 1 of these be the cause of missing shrimplets & strange shrimp deaths?

Jenbenwren

I used a macro lens on my iPhone to get pics of some critters I Syringed out of our substrate, and I think 1 of them might be Planaria.

post-868-0-57587400-1410706699_thumb.jpgpost-868-0-87954400-1410706731_thumb.jpg

This last pic is to give an idea on how small they are. They are in the 1-2 ml of water next to the 5cent piece

post-868-0-92324900-1410706754_thumb.jpg

jayc

I can't confirm what they are. Looks like a nematode and planaria, but I can't be sure.

<edit> - The nematodes I have seen are mainly white, so that one in your picture with the yellow middle is throwing me off from proclaiming that it is a nematode. 

However, if they are indeed nematodes and planaria, they would not be contributing to shrimplet deaths.

Poor water conditions, or the lack of biofilm or algae would be the most likely reasons. Or not enough food that is small enough for them to eat.

A few of these pests doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

fishmosy

Look like planaria to me.

Planaria will have funny coloured guts/bodies when they eat. For example, after eating bloodworms they are a rich red. Maybe they have eaten something yellow.

Agree with jayc, they probably aren't the cause of shrimplet deaths unless there are lots and lots.

• Like 1

Jenbenwren

Thank you.

There were heaps of them, so I've started feeding every 2nd day. Except for the food I've ground up and syringe into the main areas the shrimplets hang out, I do that every day. There's also IAL in there and maple leaf, plus lots of plants, moss, some driftwood and I've never cleaned the algae off the back wall

countryboy12484

Does the bug in question swim kinda like a mosquito larva? If so i have the same thing in my tank

Jenbenwren

no they stay in the substrate mostly

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Crabclaw
      Oh no it’s magnetic... could be a problem with my magnet cleaner. Although, depending on the attraction I could just use the mag cleaner for the top 3/4 of the tank and get a scraper or something for the bottom.
    • Crabclaw
      Ooh I just found a sand that looks almost perfect, it even comes in the right package size for my tank. https://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/products/pisces-iron-sand It’s another Pisces & Oliver Knott creation; AquaIron. Says it doesn’t alter the KH/GH/pH/TDS etc. Only problem is it says it should not be added to established tanks due to... cloudiness?? What do u think about this one?  Thanks again for your guys’ help!
    • jayc
      I was hoping it wasn't the pisces brand. Oh well, cross that off my recommended list. Are you willing to try AquaLava by Oliver Knott? I know it's not cheap.   Maybe. Got a link or something to where you would buy this? Without going into a whole Geology session, it depends on what the composition of the volcanic sand was.  We get a lot of our Scoria from NZ, that is generally inert.      If you want to go with sand, generally, your choice is Bunnings play sand. However, since sand can be sourced from any quarry anywhere in Australia, there is no guarantee it is inert. You can only buy it and then test for changes to the water parameter.
    • Crabclaw
      Hey guys, just found an add for this website showcasing a cool-lookin native algae eating shrimp. https://algaeeatingshrimp.com.au/products/australian-algae-eating-shrimp Anyone heard of these before or own any? My interest was peaked by the claim that they eat hair-type algae, as I have some on my crypts and lace fern that I cannot remove. And for a price of $4 ea, and super easy parameters, they sound pretty doable!  Tell me more oh great SKFians! 😁 (or feel free to point me towards an already existing page) post-note: have you/do you keep these grubs? Seems like your sort of thing.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Agreed! I had a tank with this setup but it came with the sponge behind the slits. Try not to get too fine sponge as that will restrict the flow and block too quickly. You will need to keep clearing the sponge every now and again as well! Simon