Advice for 2nd hand RO unit

Jenbenwren

I picked up a secondhand ro unit early this week, but I don't know anything about them. I know it needs a part to connect the hose to the tap and I should probably replace the membrane as well, but I don't know where to get parts from. It did come with 4 new filters. The unit is about 3 years old and hasn't been used for about 12 months. The storage container is still filled with water, but I'm guessing that water wouldn't be safe to use? Here's a pic of the unit.

post-868-0-16647100-1410487120_thumb.jpg

I figured $50 for the unit & filters was an ok price as long as it works. Although hubby isn't impressed with the 7x2 ft tanks (I cracked 1 unloading it though), some corner filters, sponge filters, breeder nets, gravel and some other odds and ends that it came with.

$50 for the lot or just the RO unit?

Bargain if it was the latter.

Still a bargain for just the RO unit.

Dump the water that is already in the container. 

I can't quite see it in the picture, but looks like you will need the 1/4inch tube to faucet adaptor.

Best to talk to FSA to determine what faucet adaptor you need.

After getting that adaptor, hook it up and get some RO water  from it to determine if you need to change filters by testing the TDS.

The filter might still be ok. I usually change filters when TDS is above 10ppm. Could probably change earlier, but I'm trying to save on filter costs. So I make it run longer by changing only when TDS is above 10.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Thanks Jayc, l'll give them a call. It was $50 for everything and it came with 2 types of cartridge filter and 2 sediment filters that are still sealed in plastic.

Just have to convince the other half to let me keep the tanks and build a rack as well lol

• Like 2

Spoke to FSA and they were extremely helpful. We have a new tap adapter and membrane being sent out next week and I know how to set it all up now. :-)

Working on the other half to let me start up the other tanks, but that could take a while.

And my TDS pen is one of my favorite gadgets :-)

The new membrane and tap fitting has arrived, so time to start setting it all up.

The kids and I will be away for most of the holidays, so I need to make sure everything's done and there's extra water made up for the OH to top up the tanks while I'm gone.

Just finished replacing the membrane and filters, and connecting all the hoses and fittings. Turned the tap on and water is gushing out of the filter compartments but they won't go on any tighter. Of course my torch goes flat before I can undo them to see if I've missed something or something's moved. I asked my OH if he thought I should undo them and use Teflon tape on the thread, but he says it's a bad idea and it could be the o-rings if they have any. I'll just have to wait for the torch to recharge enough or tomorrow to check it out.

Yippee! RO unit is up and running. All the leaks stopped leaking without being touched, flushed it for over an hour, repressurized the storage container and now it's full and my 20 litre bucket is full. About 60+ RCS are being drip accliamatized to the refurbished 80cm fish tank. 5 very pale male RCS are being drip accliamatized with RO water to make sure all the presservative has flushed through the RO, some Benibachi soil has been siphoned out of the CRS tank as it's buffering to low and their tank is slowly refilling to. Still 100+ RCS to take out of the Mischling tank & 5cm more Benibachi soil to come out of the CRS tank, but that will have to wait till I get back. Hope hubby has no problem with our shrimp while the kids and I are away