My killifish

KillieOrCory

Just a quick list of killifish I am currently keeping and breeding. I have had a super busy 10-12 months so have not had a chance to breed numbers. I've only been breeding to keep my fish going. If anybody is interested in any particular fish let me know and I'll concentrate on them a bit more!

The list is for you Mick! ;)

Ones I breed currently

Fundulopanchax gardneri Aquarium Strain (if a gardneri is sold/traded without a location code it is automatically regarded as Aquarium Strain)

Fundulopanchax gardneri N'sukka

Fundulopanchax gardneri Udi Berge

Fundulopanchax gardneri Makurdi

Fundulopanchax gardneri P82

Fundulopanchax gardneri nigerianum

Fundulopanchax gardneri Gold

Fundulopanchax gardneri Albino

Fundulopanchax scheeli

Aphyosemion striatum

Aphyosemion australe Chocolate

Aphyosemion gabunense boehmi

Scriptoaphyosemion cauveti

Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum AMAR11

Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum Lagos

Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum Ijebu Ode

Chromaphyosemion poliaki

Chromaphyosemion poliaki Bolifamba

Chromaphyosemion poliaki Mile 8 - possibly Chromaphyosemion volcanum Mile 8

Chromaphyosemion volcanum Ekondo Titi

Chromaphyosemion splendopleure

Epiplatys sexfasciatus AMAR11

Epiplatys guineensis

Epiplatys dageti monroviae

Aplocheilus panchax

Aplocheilus blockii

Ones that I either acquired new or breeding is sparodic

Fundulopanchax deltaensis

Fundulopanchax sjoestedti

Fundulopanchax filamentosum

Fundulopanchax walkeri spurelli

Aphyosemion celiae

Scriptaphyosemion brueningi

Ones that I have that are not likely to be available any time soon (I would be interested in more of some of these to increase my chances of breeding them)

Fundulopanchax cinnamomeum

Aphyosemion schioetzi

Aphyosemion australe Gold

Chromaphyosemion bivittatum Funge

Nothobranchius ruudwildakampii

Nothobranchius guentheri

Nothobranchius guentheri Blue

Simpsonichthys constanciae

Believe it or not, there are some killifish species in Australia that I do not have!!! : SURPRISE :

• Like 2

I've got a LOT of Fundulopanchax gardneri N'sukka, who have been breeding like rabbits, which I believe originated from you Serkan.

I've got to get rid of some. My local fish shop is selling pairs of gardnerii for $80!! Very skinny specimens too.

Absolutely gorgeous fish.

They are so bold, and literally eat out of my hands. Ravenous little buggers will wiggle half way out of the water to get into my palm.

Serkan,

How do you tell the subtle differences between each of these below?

They all look so similar to the untrained eye.

• Like 1

Thanks serkan, now the confusion sets in lol.

I need a new rack just for the killies i want.

I will pm you in around a month with the names of the ones I can fit in.

Cheers mick

Rather impressive list! I've always had a soft spot for killi but I've never had the chance to keep them just yet. However, I'd be very interested in some Aplocheilus panchax at some point though for a project I have in mind ;D 

• Like 1

Wowsers, that's an awesome list....totally appreciate the years of dedication and collection. Great work......oh, pics. It didn't happen, LOL....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I need to get some more killis , I had a common gardneri a while back and he was a awesome fish

Serkan,

How do you tell the subtle differences between each of these below?

They all look so similar to the untrained eye.

Oops! Sorry missed this. Here is a short-ish explanation

Gardneri classification is a bit complicated. There is (or used to be depending on which scientific papers you agree with) 5 subspecies. These are:

Fp. gardneri gardneri

Fp. gardneri clauseni

Fp. gardneri lacustris

Fp. gardneri manfensis

Fp. gardneri nigerianum

N'sukka and Udi Berge are Fp. gardneri gardneri

Makurdi, P82 and nigerianum are Fp. gardneri nigerianum

N'sukka has a metallic blue body and Udi Berge has a metallic green body. Generally no yellow margins on the unpaired fins. Though N'sukka can throw yellow morph.

Makurdi, P82 and nigerianum have yellow margins on the unpaired fins and generally grow larger than gardneri gardneri. Makurdi have a lot more red spots than P82.

The problem with visual identification is that it is possible to make a mistake identifying fish and think of them as a specific location. Therefore we should never give names to fish that are acquired without their location information. Any killifish that comes without one is automatically labelled Aquarium Strain.

For example, if I am raising a bunch of fry in my fishroom and for whatever reason the label rubs off and I can no longer tell if the fry were P82 or Makurdi; even if I could tell with 99% accuracy that they are one not the other, I still pass those fish on as 'Aquarium Strain'.

By the way I can easily tell them apart :lol:

Edited by KillieOrCory
  • Like 1

By the way I can easily tell them apart :lol:

:bow:

Is there another Killie that would go together in the same tank with my gardneri N'sukka?

That wouldn't interbreed. 

And require similar water parameters?

Or will they all interbreed?

• Like 1

You can easily have Aphyosemion striatum, biateniatum Lagos, Epiplatys sp. (like sexfasciatus, dageti etc) in with them.

Aphyosemion striatum -  : SURPRISE :  wow

biateniatum Lagos - also wow with the finnage

Some photos

Fundulopanchax filamentosum

IMG_4393_zps96ee2f89.jpg

Scriptoaphyosemion cauveti

IMG_4279_zps134c7755.jpg

Fundulopanchax walkeri spurrelli

IMG_4342_zps2c1d6ba7.jpg

Aphyosemion schioetzi

IMG_4037_zpse0cdb7ee.jpg

Chromaphyosemion volcanum (poliaki) Mile 8

IMG_2902_zpsd59de47a.jpg

Aphyosemion celiae

IMG_3081_zpsb3597681.jpg

Aphyosemion striatum

IMG_2799_zps48e7ed1e.jpg

Nothobranchius ruudwildakampii

IMG_2821_zps624085c3.jpg

Chromaphyosemion poliaki Bolifamba

IMG_2634_zps4b39ddee.jpg

• Like 1

Fundulopanchax scheeli

IMG_2603_zps7b7e351e.jpg

DSC00914_zps682ee50e.jpg

Chromaphyosemion biateniatum Ijebu Ode

IjebuOde.jpg

Fundulopanchax amieti

IMG_2631-1.jpg

Fundulopanchax sjoestedti

sjoestedti.jpg

Chromaphyosemion biateniatum AMAR11

JCW_4078-2.jpg

Nice collection Serkan.

When are you going to reply my PM about the Chromaphyosemion biateniatum AMAR11?

• Like 1

Great to see all these killis are still happy in your fishroom mate. Brace yourself because I really will be up in Canberra before the year is out... would love some filamentosum eggs and especially deltaense eggs some day if there's any hope at all of that. 

The Chromos are all beautiful, do you know if riggenbachii are still around? 

And will be great to see you again too. cheers, Kyrill

Anytime Kyrill, I am glad you are getting back into killies.

Actually we never ended up getting the riggenbachii come to ACT. I assume they either stayed and disappeared in VIC or went to other states and disappeared. I haven't heard anybody keeping them for 10-15 years. Last time I saw them were at Michaels house in Melbourne when I was there for one of the NAKA conventions.

I like the Chromos so I have my feelers out, I'll try my best to get them again if they become available from the overseas suppliers.

So many amazing patterns. Making me wish I had another rack, or two!