Tank Cycling - NOT

keego

After some advised as to why my tank is NOT cycling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, driving me crazy, or is it just me  : FIRE :

Filled the tank with RO water on 21st July

Tank 3ftx1.5x1.5 (180ltrs)

20lts of Benibachi normal soil

3ltrs of Benibachi super fine powder

3 x 200ltr sponge filters

Applied both Bee Max & Mineral powder under soil

After 3 weeks (11/8/14) readings peak at:

Ammonia at 2.0ppm

pH:6- 6.4

Nitrate at 40ppm

Nitrite 0- 

On the 11/8/14 I added a sump same size of tank 10ltrs of K1, 3ltrs MarinePure spheres & matting.

the next day readings dropped to 

Ammonia at 1.0ppm

pH 6.4

Nitrate at 5ppm

Nitrite 0- still zero

Reading same today

Ammonia at 1.0ppm

pH 6.4

Nitrate at 5ppm

Nitrite 0- still zero

I have not had a heater running.

Thanks 

post-777-0-67380200-1409362022_thumb.jpg

If you're getting some nitrate and the ammonia is decreasing, then the tank is cycling. I assume you are worried because you aren't detecting nitrite. Its been long enough that any nitrite will be (almost) immediately turned to nitrate.

Are you adding any source of ammonia (fish food, ammonia, ect)? If so stop, and wait for the ammonia level to reach zero. If not, you'll just have to wait until it reaches zero itself. Given that it has fallen from 2 to 1 ppm in the last couple of weeks, it shouldn't be too much longer.

Depending on the temp. of your tank, it may be an idea to put in a heater to bring it up to 23 or similar. This will increase the growth rate of the bacteria that are cycling the tank.

• Like 1

I have not had a heater running.

Keego,

bacteria love the heat.

Crank the heat up to 27-28 deg C.

Hopefully you are not cycling with shrimp. Otherwise, don't turn the heat up.

If the tank is empty, then you can make the conditions warm for the beneficial bacteria.

Once the tank is cycled, turn the heat back down.

• Like 2

• HOF Member

I had a missing Nitrite cycle when I first used Benibachi and Dean -The original Boss wrote this

Shrimp Whisperer

• photo-20.png?_r=0
  • Premium Members
  • 2,645 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

you wont get a NITRITE reading with benibachi soil :) 
there is something in it that removes all nitrite from the water..

• Like 1

+ 1 turn the heater on. Bactria need to be in the temp zone they normal work in to perform even a few degrees will make a big difference. You will rarely see nitrite it is a quick turnaround from ammonia to nitrate

Thanks Ineke & Inverted. Have put in & cranked up heater to 28, will tested in morning. Yes was scratching my head not getting any nitrite. 

Your water parameter results are excellent from your cycle.

Now that bacteria is established it is time to add in some live stock to maintain your bacteria colony.

I would do another third water change today or tomorrow

Test the results and check the results in a few days time.

I would set the temp to 23 degrees.

What you could see is a big bacteria bloom and die off in the next couple of days.

I think one more water change around Saturday and put livestock in Sunday .

Good luck

Quick update & thanks to all for advice, greatly appreciated. Last week cranked up heater to 26, did a 1/6 RO water change. Tested WP on Friday 5/9/14 with only a reduced of Nitrates as expected with the water change. Ammonia at 1.0ppm,  pH 6.4, Nitrate betweew 0 to 5ppm, Nitrite 0. So did another 1/6 RO water change on Friday, reduced heater to 23.

Tested this morning, with almost identical results, so tested  again to ensure correct results & tested the same. 1 change I made this morning was adding 3 x 30cm long driftwood, I buy that had been in some " L" number tanks .1 has a good size Anubias Nana attached.

@slin1977, @Sprae . with adding live stock, got plenty of cull cherries I could add, but concern with the ammonia results, that they will just going to drop dead.

Should I do more water changes, got 200ltrs of RO water stored???

Questions, could I've had add too much soil , or super powder? 

Thanks in advanced for advice

Depending on the soil quality and quantity mate you could be waiting several weeks before your tank cycles, its not always going to be a guaranteed quick process. Did you end up buying some stability or similar to help establish your bacteria colony 

Sorry got confused with another topic, lol. Are yuo dosing beneficial baterica product like seachem stability to help establish your bacteria colony? 

I dont see the point in adding livestock when you have ammonia and what not already in the tank as the livestock are there to feed the  bacteria in a sense by providing waste.

Edited by OzShrimp

Ozshrimp is right.

Ammonia is still 1.0ppm. If you tested on Friday, and it's still 1.0 after 1-2 days, then the tanks isn't cycled.

A cycled tank will reduce 1.0ppm ammonia to 0ppm in 24 hours. That's how you know your tank is cycled.

The fact that you are seeing small amounts of Nitrate indicates that your filter and tank has some Beneficial Bacteria, but in small amounts. But not enough to get rid of the waste fast enough yet.

Turn the heat back up to 26degC, and test ammonia daily until you get yellow in your test tube.

Do another 10% water change. And test ammonia again after 24 hours. If it's still yellow, then your tank is cycled. And you can add livestock that same day or the next.

If you leave the tank empty for too long without an ammonia food source for the BB, it will die off. 

It's exciting adding livestock, but don't rush it. There will be less disappointments and frustrations in the long run if you take the time to cycle your tank properly. Not to mention it's better for your shrimp.

I'm sorry but did you say you have another tank running? If so why not take some media from that and put it in your new tank a skip the wait all together