• Similar Content

• Chandy
      By Chandy
      Hello Fellow ShrimpKeepers! 
      I started a planted tank approximately two weeks ago and the tank was cycled as of yesterday. I decided that I would have a crack at Red Cherry Shrimps as my clean-up crew. They're such delicate and peaceful creatures, I just knew I had to have some. 
      I plan to keep some shrimp specific shrimp tanks later on, but for now I'll be growing this tank out. My tank currently has 4 glowlight tetras in there, which I made the mistake of buying because I couldn't tell the difference between them and glowlight (hengeli) rasboras... I looked for the word glowlight at my LFS and said yup, they're the ones. My second mistake was putting RCS in without knowing that glowlight would absolutely dominate my RCS. 
      I put 3 males and 3 female RCS into the tank, one female was obliterated within a minute, another male injured and 4 others being bullied. 
      I hope to trade away my glowlight tetras in due course, but am looking for a source for more RCS. They cost me a pretty dollar each which I thought was a bit steep considering they can be pests at times. I'm located in Sydney, Australia, so please let me know if you've got some RCS you're willing to let go. 
      On another note, does anyone know how hengeli rasboras will treat RCS? Otherwise, I may have to give them up and go with something like Darwin Algae Shrimp or Ghost Shrimp.
      Without further ado, I thought I'd share a photo of my tank:
      1. The setup:

2. Filling the tank up:

3. The plants growing out: 

If you're interested, please check out my Tank Journal at the following link: 
      http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/1016801-chandy%92s-sanctuary-%96-komoda-%91skyclear%92-4ft.html

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      I tried Brita JUG (and still  have it) but it didn't work for the shrimp (It did reduce TDS but not much), though I was keeping Caridina shrimp. I would say don't bother wasting tme with other makes as you don't really know what they remove so just get the zerowater and you know it produces RO equivalent water and removes probably ALL things bad for shrimps. It is meant for human consumption but I am not convinced such pure water is ideal for humans except for hydration during excercise maybe?? As you plan to keep cherry shrimp you could try it but I would try just a few shrimp in a bowl for a few days to a week first. If the brita doesn't filter out something like copper (? just an example) or other toxic to shrimp things then you don't want to have contaminated the soil/tank etc. It may even be a better idea to get both, the brita for personal use and the zerowater just for the tank, https://www.amazon.com.au/ZeroWater-10-Cup-Pitcher-Filtration-System/dp/B0073PZ6O0 I just found this when I did a search for 'zerowater australia' that will show you the difference, just look at the 'which water filter is best?' page: https://www.yourbestdigs.com/reviews/zerowater-vs-brita/#which-is-best  Simon
    • Subtlefly
      So you can do it just through fine filtration? How would zero water co compare to something like this or even multi stage cartridge undersink filter you think? https://www.bunnings.com.au/brita-filtered-water-tap_p5090423 I am trying to figure out what is best for human drinking as well as fishtank but maybe this is two different things? thanks for your wisdom, have a great day sub  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I use tap water through this jug and it produces the same as RO water, TDS 000 hence the name They are readily obtainable around the world (amazon, ebay and some countries UK/USA in shops) and cheap enough. They are slow to filter though so probably not practical for a very large tank. You could start with one though and if everything  goes to plan with the tank then get a full RO down the line. Each filter does about 100L of MY water. https://zerowater.co.uk/?variant=48184661572 You will need to re-mieralise the water with GH/KH+ as you would with RO water! Simon
    • Subtlefly
      Hi team, So more (possibly dumb) questions.  As I have explained in other posts we have a concrete tank under our house for rainwater - I am going to test the parameters of this water before any use in shrimp tank.. but say I want my family to have filtered water - if I put in an undersink two or three stage cartridge filter (lets say ceramic and carbon)  to filter the tap water - is this good enough for use in a tank - do you really need to go to the extent of an RO system? Thanks for you insight and have a great day sub
    • Blazepelt
      I recently did a simple scape in my 5 gallon shrimp tank just using spiderwood and the result is awesome I don’t have any shrimp in the tank yet but there’s loads of nooks and point on the driftwood that shrimp can sit on and pick off. I think with the shallow tank some emerging wood with moss growing on it would look awesome. And then some small rocks where the wood comes out of the substrate. Maybe 3 or 4 for each price of wood. Then I used a dark inert substrate sand that’s quite coarse which means I can still clean it without sucking it all up. And as for growing plants often shrimp don’t require hard to keep plants but if you do want to keep some fancier root feeders just grab some root tabs.    B I recently did a simple scape in my 5 gallon shrimp tank just using spiderwood and the result is awesome I don’t have any shrimp in the tank yet but there’s loads of nooks and point on the driftwood that shrimp can sit on and pick off. I think with the shallow tank some emerging wood with moss growing on it would look awesome. And then some small rocks where the wood comes out of the substrate. Maybe 3 or 4 for each price of wood. Then I used a dark inert substrate sand that’s quite coarse which means I can still clean it without sucking it all up. And as for growing plants often shrimp don’t require hard to keep plants but if you do want to keep some fancier root feeders just grab some root tabs.    B Whoops did it twice.