• Similar Content

• Chandy
      By Chandy
      Hello Fellow ShrimpKeepers! 
      I started a planted tank approximately two weeks ago and the tank was cycled as of yesterday. I decided that I would have a crack at Red Cherry Shrimps as my clean-up crew. They're such delicate and peaceful creatures, I just knew I had to have some. 
      I plan to keep some shrimp specific shrimp tanks later on, but for now I'll be growing this tank out. My tank currently has 4 glowlight tetras in there, which I made the mistake of buying because I couldn't tell the difference between them and glowlight (hengeli) rasboras... I looked for the word glowlight at my LFS and said yup, they're the ones. My second mistake was putting RCS in without knowing that glowlight would absolutely dominate my RCS. 
      I put 3 males and 3 female RCS into the tank, one female was obliterated within a minute, another male injured and 4 others being bullied. 
      I hope to trade away my glowlight tetras in due course, but am looking for a source for more RCS. They cost me a pretty dollar each which I thought was a bit steep considering they can be pests at times. I'm located in Sydney, Australia, so please let me know if you've got some RCS you're willing to let go. 
      On another note, does anyone know how hengeli rasboras will treat RCS? Otherwise, I may have to give them up and go with something like Darwin Algae Shrimp or Ghost Shrimp.
      Without further ado, I thought I'd share a photo of my tank:
      1. The setup:

2. Filling the tank up:

3. The plants growing out: 

If you're interested, please check out my Tank Journal at the following link: 
      http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/1016801-chandy%92s-sanctuary-%96-komoda-%91skyclear%92-4ft.html

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Here are a couple of vids, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-FhLa3gl5o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfFyDb5o4iA It would be worth trying the salt treatment, or malachite green. I have 'Waterlife fin rot and ulcers' treatment that I got from ProShrimp, that definitely has malachite green in it and may work, though they may sell something 'malachite green' on its own? Here is a link to their treatments, lots, https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=treatment&submit_search= Always treat seperately from the main tank, and if you can set up a temporary quarantine tank to house them during the period of treatment, that is better, even a bucket or something would do! Simon  
    • pasha15
      We havent added anything new for a while. The yellow is definitely not eggs but from what I can read on line that is the parasite. It is only on the underside of the shrimp. Looking on line seems to suggest ellobiopsidae!! Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry to hear you have a problem. It is difficult to make out from the photos but obviously it is difficult to take photos of something so small? Try looking here, there were a coupe of possibilities I noticed having a quick glance through it, vorticello, parasites https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/5052-shrimp-diseases-and-diagnosis/ Both the ones I saw say salt treatment so that may be worth a try anyway (not household salt but aquarium salt)! Any idea where they came from, have you added anything new recently? I assume the yellow colour is eggs of the shrimp. Hopefully you can set up a temporary quarantine tank whilst you try the salt treatment and others may give some further advice! Simon  
    • pasha15
      Hi all. Watching my cherry shrimp today I have noticed several have yellow bits on there under side. Definitely not eggs. I have removed all I can see are infected. From what I can find on line it appears to be a parasite. I can not find any treatment options. Can anyone help. I do a minimum of 10%water change every week with zero water with added gh+/kh+. I clean the gravel every week also. Any advice gratefully recieved.   Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk    
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I hope the tank doesn't take too long to make, and everthing arrives in good order! As you say you are planning on Cherry shrimps things should be fairly easy and straight forward with regards the type of substrate and rock and cherry shrimp are quite adaptable! As you say, you will have to wait and see what rock you can get before you can really settle on a design/layout etc. Substrate usually falls into 2 types, inert or soil, whereby the soil reduces/buffers the ph (you don't need the buffering with the cherry shrimp as they prefer higher PH) but looks more natural and is good for plants. We have a new soil substrate which is made by tetra (german I believe, and quite new) that doesn't alter/buffer the PH but I don't know whether that is available to you in Australia, but that would be the best for both cherry shrimp and plants? You can just use gravel or sand with cherry shrimps if you don't want the soil? I assume the tank won't be covered therefore it may suffer from evaporaton and this will need to be TOPPED up with RO (or equivalent) water otherwise there will be a build up of TDS over time? If your rainwater you plan to use has a very low TDS you may be able to gat around this so you won't need to buy RO water etc! You can't really go any further with this aspect though until you have tested your source water! I hope you manage to source some great rocks for the scaping! Simon