Guess the colour

petfish

Mate if you're weren't happy with what you got I will replace them & I don't care if you've fed them to your fish, just PM me your address & I'll drop them off when I have some free time, distance is no object. I'm uncomfortable knowing you're not satisfied with the shrimp you bought off me. :thumbsu:

• Like 2

Well done Squiggs, I recently sold some fire reds, and 4/10 turned out below par....buyer brought it to my intention, and we're sorting it all out. Cherries can be difficult too, so as mentioned on my 1st post, best to communicate and give the seller the opportunity to rectify, as I'm sure most of us on SKF will.....

• Like 2

If these are the sunkists you bought of Jay I don't understand why you are posting the pictures and bitching about it now.

I know for a fact that he sold them to you at least 2 month ago and that he offered to replace them when you were not happy with your purchase.

And why whinging about it after you already fed half of them to your fish????

Are you trying to give Squiggs a bad name rather than sorting it out with him personally?

Sorry, I really dont get it! I just think this is just very low. What on earth has happened to the SKF spirit????

I might as well tell the full story here which also will explain why I was getting a bit worked up about this.

I also looked up the dates and it actually was even longer ago than I initially thought.

The shrimp that petfish bought from Squiggs were bred by me.

Squiggs sold them for me in march because I asked him to.

On the 5th of June Petfish complained about their colour and Jay offered to replace them straight away. (Jay had contacted me after that)

And now, another 2 month later he complains here on the foum??? Why?

post-470-0-42223600-1408068430_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-14938300-1408069286_thumb.jpg

Edited by Garnelchen

I might as well tell the full story here which also will explain why I was getting a bit worked up about this.

I also looked up the dates and it actually was even longer ago than I initially thought.

On the 5th of June Petfish complained about their colour and Jay offered to replace them straight away. (Jay had contacted me after that)

Oh so the story unfolds... i understand your frustration if they really were the ones he got of you Garnelchen. If they were purchased that long ago anything could have caused the to go that pale eg. Poor conditions, food, disease, etc.

Whenever i see mushrooms i remember the comp you had why is that? Nice one in the pic there

excuse me but i did not complian and no names were mentioned as to where they came from, i had no intention of saying who or where i got them from, just posted the pic's to let people know that even though they come from a group of good coloured breeders, does not mean that the juvies will end up like the parents, the time lapsed is ,,,, they were small, so gave them time to grow to see if they coloured up, some did and some didn't,

excuse me but i did not complian and no names were mentioned as to where they came from, i had no intention of saying who or where i got them from, just posted the pic's to let people know that even though they come from a group of good coloured breeders, does not mean that the juvies will end up like the parents, the time lapsed is ,,,, they were small, so gave them time to grow to see if they coloured up, some did and some didn't,

Maybe they had an addiction to the mushies Garnelchen had in her tanks, withdrawal symptoms cause them to not look their best.

Sorry thought id break the tension b4 it got too heated 😊

• Like 2

Petfish can you be more elaborate about your water parameters aside from same as jays? Im not having a go at all but all water parameters are very different. It all even comes down to what minerals are in the water especially how you prepare it and yes even for cherries. Unfortunately crap happens. Personally im more interested in how we can all help you give the cherries the best water parameters and nutrients to colour up properly. As blue bolts myself and many other breeders have stated. Even our best ones can look like crap in other peoples tanks. I too have sent shrimps that I think were top notch only to have them lose all colour in other peoples tanks. It was only after long discussions that we found the problems most of the time. Do you only use tap water? And dont worry about the fact that they are frontosa poop now. Its more about your future purchases too from any breeder.

A few more things to point out. The first 4 pictures all seem to be males. Males do not typically have much colour at all. Plus with a bare bottom that can show a very bad aspect of the shrimp. As for the picture of the best sunkist. Its a girl. Under a very bright flash and bare bottom it really does dull all shrimp colours especially under the reflection of glass. Ive notice you have taken a close up oicture of your fire red girl with the light on top. That on the other hand is capturing that fire red under the best light. What would the sunkist look like if its picture was taken the same way? Finally you use rain water so I assume you use minerals but which saltyshrimp product do you use specifically? Im not saying the sunkist is crash hot but theres really a lot of things we can tweak in the future

Edited by Gbang

I don't see where it's was a complaint only a thread about colour when no names were mentioned. It is good to see squiggle and garnelchen to come forward but I don't understand why you would have a go at him when he never brought up names and was obviously waiting for them to grow to see if they would colour up.

I have learnt not to buy or sell juvie cherries as there is no way to tell how they will turn out.

Unfortunately I think the skf spirit is dead, i have purchased shrimp that turned out to be not what I expected but it's a lesson learnt.

Cheers mick

• Like 1

Let's keep the thread on topic guys. People involved seem to be trying to sort it out. No names were mentioned in the initial post, others came forward later so no issues there.

It's good to see everyone getting involved in trying to put forward suggestions on things to try.

I don't think the SKF spirit is gone.

I'd suggest to ensure your GH is 7+, KH 4+, and add some calcium rich food like spinach, kale etc....there's an excellent thread on calcium rich food on SKF. I use CaSO4 to boost up my calcium...shrimps absorb calcium via food & water. Also, adding mineral powder etc may help.......increase your temp ? I love experiments....it's the only way to learn :-)

lesson learnt ,for me to,, not  buy or sell juvies/shrimplets only buy or sell sub adult, by then you can see what the quality is ,oh. 6-6.5GH and 3-3.5KH using API kits.......I was not asking for anyone to come forward, and was PMed asking who i got them from and i did not say, it was meant to be about not expecting to much when buying shrimplets, not about where i got them from.

I just thought your first couple of post gave quite a different vibe rather than just saying what you are stating above.

Of course people would PM you about where you got them from.....

But anyway...things seem to be sorted now.

Maybe they had an addiction to the mushies Garnelchen had in her tanks, withdrawal symptoms cause them to not look their best.

Sorry thought id break the tension b4 it got too heated

Haha, thanks for defusing the situation, Chi. :biggrin:

Those mushies are made from resin.....nice theory anyway :smiley_simmons:

I'd suggest to ensure your GH is 7+, KH 4+, and add some calcium rich food like spinach, kale etc....there's an excellent thread on calcium rich food on SKF. I use CaSO4 to boost up my calcium...shrimps absorb calcium via food & water. Also, adding mineral powder etc may help.......increase your temp ? I love experiments....it's the only way to learn :-)

I loved experiments too until i went too far one day and well lets just say i cried like a little girl...

I keep both variants in the same tank, and target TDS 160-180, GH 5, & KH 0. So possible, but if the shrimps are from different WP, then there's some acclimatisation to be done, or like mine bred them to f2-3, before I was happy with the colours,,.. I

EC26491F-83D9-4583-8840-3577DCF4FB51.jpg

A3360252-CC00-4BB1-9024-5C5FC75514D6_1.j

PETFISH i think i might have figured it out. 

as you know,black water extract reduces the PH and GH of all environments. CHERRY SHRIMP DO NOT LIKE THIS. Only caridina (crs cbs tigers taiwan bees) appreciate this effect. This in turn reverses the optimum environment that saltyshrimp gh/kh+ has been made to do.

This will probably be the main reason why the sunkists aren't to their full potential. well it's pretty obvious thats the case now considering saltyshrimp products are meant to bring the gh to 8 and above while yours is 6-6.5.

also, easylife water conditioner is another set product that has another set combination of minerals that isn't specific to shrimp. i know it claims to be good for all life forms but when you add two sets of minerals. that's overload plus using black water extract....well what you've done is actually created a very unstable environment.

IF you use these products seperately during different times of the week.....i can only assume the shrimps have to moult a lot more than usual as well in order to adapt to each changing water parameter stressing them out a lot.

please don't take offense mate, but You don't need to overdo it all. keep it simple. saltyshrimp gh kh plus is really all you need.

there's other things that i can mention but in spirit of the thread it is definately out of topic and not in favour of what we are trying to do. help you get the colours out. next time don't feed them to your fronnies untill you truly know it's not you mate.

and for the record, i sell juvies all the time. it is a very common practice. but each to their own

hope that helps heaps. 

• Like 1