geophagus brachybranchus

smicko

Hi all, picked up a pair of brachys last week and thought I would share a pic or two, the first is just after I brought them home and the second is the male hiding in his newly proclaimed home,enjoy.

Cheers mick

DSC_0029_zps8ikgj6oz.jpg

DSC_0054_zpslhrj1cap.jpg

Edited by smicko

Nice looking fish! I like them, if I were to keep cichlids these guys would be on the top of the list to get.

Thanks serkan, i used to breed alot of different geos but got rid of them when I shut down 30 4-5ft tanks.

I am slowly getting a collection back again.

Orange head tapajos arrive today and I'm looking for green horseface and alfritons, both are proving difficult to find up here.

If anybody hears of any of these species please let me know.

I've got the bug back bad lol.

Cheers mick

• Like 1

Nice fish. Love geos. Kept and bred orangeheads and rio branco. They only get better looking as they age too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just love the Geos Mick, i could almost be talked into setting up another tank for them, Sigh : LUST :

Check out the luecostica and orange heads once I finish putting the posts up and you will be hooked.

My aim is to have at least ten different species by this time next year, as long as a few mates breeding programs work out.

Cheers mick

A little info for those that are not familiar with these fish.

They are a biparental mouthbrooder, which basically means they lay eggs and after around 48hrs the parents break open the eggs and then carry the babies in their mouths.

Both parents look after the fry so there is no need to separate them.

I managed to snap a pic of one of the parents getting their fry from the eggs.

Hope you enjoy the fish school lol.

Cheers mick

DSC_0107_zpsya6cfkjd.jpg

Edited by smicko

Hey Mick i just dropped into my local aquarium shop and they have a tankfull of Ellioti. local breeder they said, they have viewed the parent stock and say they are of god quality. The fish i saw looked ok to me but then i am no expert when it comes to Geos, fish are about 60cm total length and asking $19.95ea is this the going price for such fish. If interested you can PM me for location etc and i will meet you there.   Wish i had a tank ready to go i would grab some myself.  Gary

Thanks for the offer mate but If they are great quality then I know the breeder.

Unfortunately there is only person with quality bloodlines foe elloti, i will pm you a pic if i can find one.

PS elloti are not geos, alot of people think they are but they are a different species.

Cheers mick

Edited by smicko

OK thanks Mick, by the way, are they a peaceful fish and how big do they grow,  what are the prime water parameters? you have started something now you know Helpppppppppppp. I think i need to give myself a good uppercut before this gets out of hand and i start setting up more tanks. Well i dont smoke , dont drink, dont gamble, dont even have sex anymore, so i need something to keep me occupied i guess, what the hell, may as well be more tanks. :notfair::lol:

• Like 1

They are fairly placid, soft water about the same as taiwan bees as long as it's stable they are ok.

Depending on what parameters they are in at the moment you may have to slowly lower the ph of the tank.

They get alot better colour and breed better when the parameters are right.

I'm using eheim torf pellets, dw and ial to keep my water soft, ph 6.5 gh 6, Kh 2-3 temp 28.

They like the water between 27-30 degrees.

Everyone needs more tanks I have 3 for geos at the moment, another 2 waiting to be filled and I'm buying another 3 teir rack soon.

I must get every type of geo in aus.

I have found 13 species of geos,some hecklii are getting around and I want some biatoma cupido and gymnophoagus balzinii.

Cheers mick

Edited by smicko

Thanks for all the info Mick, i will let you know how i go, i have a spare 1500x500x500 tank available, all i need is to get a new large canister or convert it to be used with a sump. What would be the best way to go? would a canister keep the water pure enough, and what type of substrate do you prefer, is that just a fine sand in your tank. Thanks Gary

No worries Gary, a cannister would work, i only run sponges in there tanks I am adding internals that will hold the torf pellets once they arrive next week.

I like the tannin stained water as i feel it is more natural and helps with breeding, my tanks will be alot darker once I find a second hand slow cooker and brew some Blackwater potion. I use pool filter sand in all their tanks as it is inert and makes it easier to keep ph down and looks more natural than white sand. I can't find a pic of the elloti on my phone but if you google elloti one of the first pics is from aquarium life, that is best bloodline around.

Cheers mick

G,day Mick, I saw a 2nd hand crockpot the other day at Goodna Lifeline store $15 if it would be ok for brewing your blackwater.

Do you know anyone with Geo orange Head Tapajos the one with the orange cheeks and full stripe through the tail.   I think this is the best way i can describe them as i really dont know enough about them.  Hope you can help Gary

Thanks peeps, I'm looking for more orange heads at the moment as mine died.

I will let you know if i find more than I need.

Another very nice fish is the hecklii if you can find them, big males are stunning.

Cheers mick

Thanks Mick, Yes the Heckel'i sure are a great looking fish, think I will have to put them on the most wanted list. In the meantime I will keep looking. Sure would appreciate you finding any extras in the Tapajos though. Thanks Gary