Lighting Question.

OzShrimp

Okay so my tank is a standard 4ftr and according to one website a 4 feet aquarium,should have 201 Watt lights. I currently have an UP Aqua Pro Z series LED which is only 40W. So does this mean i dont have anywhere near enough light for my plant and stuff?

Also if i was to buy a second light taking me up to 80 watts could i expect much of a difference?

I want to grow mosses but dont completely understand the lighting requirements without getting algae blooms and bba etc

Edited by OzShrimp

From my understanding of lighting, 1watt per litre is for high tech, high light planted tanks.

I think led works differently, I'm running an 18w led on a 2ft deep marine tank that is just over 200 litres and it's going great.

All the coral and red algae is growing.

On my planted 3ft I run 8x39w tubes of various types and on a 4ft shrimp tank I run one 39w light to grow moss and less demanding plants.

Hope this helps, it is confusing reading some websites recommendations.

Cheers mick

LEDs are meant to be more efficient than the T8 lighting that the watts/Litre was originally referring to.

I use the Pro Z lights on my tanks, and find that the tank that has two on it looks much better than the tanks that only have one (I'm only growing low light plants and mosses).

LEDs are meant to be more efficient than the T8 lighting that the watts/Litre was originally referring to.

I use the Pro Z lights on my tanks, and find that the tank that has two on it looks much better than the tanks that only have one (I'm only growing low light plants and mosses).

Thanks Guys. Doron were you running only one initially on your dual one now and if so have you noticed much of a difference in terms of growth or algae problems?

Need to decide if i am buying a second one before i go to Sydney cause i am doing my tax whilst i am down there. I have decided i really really really want to get some riccia but not if my lighting sucks. By any chance do you grow this under your Z series?

The tank that has two on it, is nearly two foot deep. In that tank, I have a carpet of fissidens growing on the bottom, so I dont think you will have an issue with Riccia. ALthough, I do have an issue with BBA growing on my ferns, in all of my tanks.

In your case, if it's a standard 4 footer, you may only need one, but I think it will look much better with two, and have better light coverage.

Yeah i think the lighting could be improved but dont want the cost of BBA lol so have to forgive the questions. I used to have fissidens but it got BBA on it and i had to turf it lol.

Are you dosing ferts or using co2 alongside your extra lighting ?

I'm not dosing anything into this tank. It's my shrimp tank and they get priority treatment :)

There is no BBA on the fissidens. It grows on the ferns that are closer to the light.

+1 for the watts/Liter being way different for LEDs, I have one Z series on my system & the Riccia is going nuts, the tanks are 18" deep. :thumbsu:

+1 for the watts/Liter being way different for LEDs, I have one Z series on my system & the Riccia is going nuts, the tanks are 18" deep. :thumbsu:

Any chance i can buy some riccia squiggs?

No unfortunately busy day at work today and didnt get a chance, will try do it tomorrow provided no one calls us  :notfair: 

Some days i think i need a new job lol

• 4 weeks later...

Got my second UP Aqua LED Z Series set up today when i got home and wow i love the difference it makes

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      Update to say that after a few gravel vacs, front wall scrub, moss / floating plant trim, that the condition seems to have improved.  My current theory is that it is due to waste / debris management, where "stuff" like that brown mulm accumulates in the substrate and behind the HMF filters.  Maybe some tanks can somehow deal with it, but mine can't.  Also another experienced shrimper suggested that maybe those "shell bugs" don't just live on the shrimps but also in this debris.  Maybe this is the reason some tanks fail due to "old tank syndrome" where all they need is a good gravel vac? Also, I am guessing that plant trim helps too because now more of the nutrients and light go into growing algae instead of more plants? Well anyway for this tank I will try weekly water change and monthly gravel vac / plant trim.  For my next tank, I'm thinking of something like an under-gravel system where this mulm can fall down and I vac it out.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!