ADA Amazonia in Melbourne?

bonsai

Hi, I've been looking for ADA Amazonia here in Melbourne and have been told there is no stock for 1 1/2 months! Does anybody know of a shop in Melbourne that has stock at the moment?

Does it have to be ADA Amazonia aquasoil?

I find Cal Aqua Lab's Black Earth Premium better in many ways. And it's available.

After bad experiences with two other substrates, I used Amazonia and have been very happy with it in my tank. It's now over one year old, has been washed of old roots and replanted twice. It hasn't disintegrated and still buffers my ph at 6. So you could say i'm impressed.

That said.... Can you tell me how long Black Earth lasts? It says it "slighly" lowers ph. Are we talking 6.8 of more like 6? In what ways do you consider it being better? I will be using it for shrimp, not planted. The google machine can't seem to find the answers!

For shrimp i would recommend benbachi soil. A few of the sponsors stock it but I would go through boss aquaria.

@Squiggle will be able to help you out.

Cheers mick

After bad experiences with two other substrates, I used Amazonia and have been very happy with it in my tank. It's now over one year old, has been washed of old roots and replanted twice. It hasn't disintegrated and still buffers my ph at 6. So you could say i'm impressed.

That said.... Can you tell me how long Black Earth lasts? It says it "slighly" lowers ph. Are we talking 6.8 of more like 6? In what ways do you consider it being better? I will be using it for shrimp, not planted. The google machine can't seem to find the answers!

Understand your issues with quality.

Agreed that ADA Aquasoil is good.

BEP (Black Earth Premium) buffers to around similar to ADA, give or take depending on depth of substrate used.

In what ways is it better? Lower ammonia released during initial cycle. Still releases ammonia but much lower and slower. Which means shorter cycling period. ADA releases a ton of ammonia.

ADA releases a cloud of dirt/dust every time you move plants, BEP does not.

BEP doesn't disintegrate after prolonged use.

Plants love BEP. BEP is great for cherries.

Benibachi Fulvic soil is good as well. I use it to get pH lower, where BEP or ADA can't get down to.

I use Benibachi for my shrimps, CRS experimental tank where pH is 5.5.

BEP in my planted Amazonian biotope fish tank.

Edited by jayc

Quality advice through experience. The internet needs more of that! Most info I found was just copy and paste from the manufacturer's site.

Thanks jayC and smicko!

Aye. 

Advice that still leaves you the choice as the purchaser, but at least you are informed. Without forcing you to one product or another.   :thumbsu:

I'm not selling anything and don't profit from it. I give you the information for you to make your own mind up.

Wait for ADA aquasoil to be available again in the shops. Or choose Black Earth Premium for planted tank and cherries. Or Benibachi for Crystals and Taiwan Bees. Just use less Benibachi to minimise pH drop.

It doesn't mean that Benibachi is no good for plants, however. Plants still do well in lower pH with Benibachi.

What type of shrimp are you aiming to keep?

Edited by jayc

As jayc said it comes down to what shrimp your interested in.

You have to put some pics up as your setting up the tank, we all love pics lol.

Cheers mick

jayC - No plants this time except for anubias, java fern and moss. I currently have a small colony of snow whites, but most look like goldens to me. I plan on going down the Taiwan Bee path. I kept CRS and red cherries  a few years ago when that was all that was available,

smicko - I'll start a new thread with pics when I get the energy. I just got home from work and I am exhausted!

• Like 1