jayc

DIY Remineralisation for RO or Rain Water

sdlTBfanUK

You may have to be a bit patient and wait until a bit later until others in different time zones are on, but I'm sure someone will get back to you/this later on!

Simon

Spidey

Ok, thx Simon. I’ll be waiting.

Spidey

also, the solution is milky white, do you guys have cloudy issue with the aquarium water after using this remineralisation technique?

jayc

@Spidey, I don't have any certainty of your issue. Not without knowing exactly what ingredient you have purchased.

Are you sure you mixed 40g of Calcium sulphate? and not Calcium carbonate?

The end result of high pH you are getting would suggest it is 40gm of Calcium Carbonate not Calcium sulphate. There is a possibility that the seller mislabel the product. If you can, test the pH of the ingredients individually. Calcium sulphate should have a low pH and Calcium carbonate will have a high pH.

My mix is cloudy until added to the change water. It doesn't stay cloudy in the tank.

11 hours ago, Spidey said:

5. isn’t the TDS for NEOCARIDINA supposed to be 150-250? Why 140-160?

The original post recipe for the DIY mix is for Caridina. Hence the target of 140-160 TDS

I mix in calcium carbonate or calcium chloride separately for my neocaridina tanks until I get the desired pH/KH and TDS.

Not sure how you would salvage the remaining mix, if it could potentially be 40gm of Calcium carbonate instead of Calcium sulphate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spidey

I am certain I did mix in 40 g of calcium sulfate, and I don’t think the label is wrong. My calcium carbonate has slight yellow tint to it. I realised my RO water actually has a high pH, it’s TDS 3 but pH 8 before mixing!! That’s so weird. Anyway I think until I can get my hands on some calcium/gh/kh tester. I won’t be able to find out how to fix this....

1 thing still puzzle me though, how many litres of RO water would yours last because I seems to have to add a lot to raise my tds??

sdlTBfanUK

Are you sure PH8 on RO water, NEVER come across that before? Try and test middle of the day always!

Simon

• Thanks 1

jayc
1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I realised my RO water actually has a high pH, it’s TDS 3 but pH 8 before mixing!!

There's your problem. And that IS weird.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

how many litres of RO water would yours last because I seems to have to add a lot to raise my tds??

I haven't measured it like that, so I wouldn't know.

I add my 106gm mix into a bottle and add 500ml water. So I turn the mix into a liquid. Then I use that concentrated liquid in my water changes. I use about 15ml per 10L to raise TDS up to about 160. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spidey

My mix is still cloudy even added to the change water, with precipitates at the bottom after sitting still. Could that be a very insoluble version of the CaSO4? I got it from a local brewery shop. Do the one you get from keg-king.com.au dissolves better? Thank you again for your time @jayc

jayc
32 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Do the one you get from keg-king.com.au dissolves better

Yes, it dissolves when added to the tank.

But it's cloudy when in the concentrated form before I mix it into the change water.

Sounds like you got a dud batch.

• Thanks 1

Spidey
52 minutes ago, jayc said:

Yes, it dissolves when added to the tank.

But it's cloudy when in the concentrated form before I mix it into the change water.

Sounds like you got a dud batch.

thx @jayc, I just tested my RO water again, straight from the machine. It’s pH 9.....

should I acidifying with some HCl?

jayc

RO water shouldn't be at pH 9. Either the pH test is incorrect or the RO water is not at 0 TDS.

Check the TDS of the RO water.

Spidey
1 hour ago, jayc said:

RO water shouldn't be at pH 9. Either the pH test is incorrect or the RO water is not at 0 TDS.

Check the TDS of the RO water.

TDS 4.

ive read there’s some machine actually produce alkaline RO water. Reckon this must be one of them. So if I acidify it with acid to a pH 7-7.5 would it be ok? Or the buffet capacity will be lost and risking pH swing??? I am not quite sure how the mechanic of the buffer work if I add the acid @jayc

jayc

Hey Spidey.

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

there’s some machine actually produce alkaline RO water.

That's correct. RO water made for human drinking consumption, adds alkalinity back into the water after the filtration.

I use an RO filtration system, which includes this alkaline part, but has a switch to turn it off when I make RO water for the aquarium.

Check if you can turn off the post RO deionising filter.

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

So if I acidify it with acid to a pH 7-7.5 would it be ok? Or the buffet capacity will be lost and risking pH swing???

That's something I don't know for sure, as I have never tested it. 

• Like 1

Spidey

Ok, I’ll check the machine out tomorrow. Thx again champ!

Dsetz

It's impossible for tds to be so low and ph so high, something isn't adding up. How are you testing ph and have you calibrated your meter?