jayc

DIY Remineralisation for RO or Rain Water

Photo fish

You know a lot more about chemistry than I do that being said. I can only tell you that neither one totally dissolved in that small amount of water. I believe either one will be ok once you place them in a larger amount of water. Had no problem making a water change with the fish or shrimp.  

mtchye

No worries, that's good to know that you've had success even without full solubility.

I think what it's highlighting is that no matter your calcium sulfate type, it will likely be a significant insoluble fraction, and so we must shake it up and extract the mixed up doseage before it settles out. In my solution it settles fairly quickly and so may lead to lower Ca:Mg if you're not extracting an evenly mixed dose.

Photo fish

Will see how it goes for a few weeks and let you know. 

kvinnyy

Thinking of trying this out as I can't seem to get a hold SS GH+ for my shrimps. Stores are either out of stock or charge ridiculous amounts + shipping costs.

@jayc You mentioned before and provided links to aquarium store online but it seems like they are no longer around anymore. Do you happen to know of any other reliable online stores that stock calcium sulfate heptahydrate? I've looked into aquagreen, but unsure about the type of calcium sulfate they sell because its listed as CaSO4 not heptahydrate or anything? Do you think that is still okay to use?

I saw this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gypsum-Calcium-Sulphate-1kg-Home-Brew-Beer-To-Add-Permanent-Hardness-To-Water/273839494039?epid=1379141306&hash=item3fc21b1397:g:umAAAOSwsVtc1K1G&frcectupt=true, was wondering if this will work?

Edited by kvinnyy

jayc
2 hours ago, kvinnyy said:

Yes that will work. 

https://www.keg-king.com.au/calcium-sulphate-caso4-300g.html.html is another alternative if you want to purchase a smaller quantity. Keg King is selling it 300g for $4.95 plus $8.95 for shipping.

Photo fish

I was bad!  Finally got it to work.  I am talking about Aquotix conversion chart to figure out a 4:1 ratio with Ca to Mg. there are no directions. After you enter your #'s you have to click on ( grams to add for 1GH increase )  it will change with the amount to add. 

I still would like to know what the recomended ppm is for Mg.. I think my levels are way to high. 

Thanks.

jayc

@Photo fish, you will need a Calcium test kit as we'll as an Mg test kit to measure both minerals, so you can determine what your Ca:Mg ratio is.

Photo fish

I have figured out how to use the conversion chart. It gives the mg level once you put your Ca and gh levels in. I was just curious on what a good mg level would be if I'm trying to achieve a 4 : 1 ca to mg level. 

Also would like to know if I can use micromix trace elements. It only give dose for planted tanks. Dose is .5 ml to 10 gallons 3 times a week then 50% water change. I only make about a 25% change weekly. It shows a .1% copper content is it safe and if so how often would you recommend adding it to the aquarium. 

Thanks for any help. Dave B. 

jayc

7 hours ago, Photo fish said:

It gives the mg level once you put your Ca and gh levels in. I was just curious on what a good mg level would be if I'm trying to achieve a 4 : 1 ca to mg level. 

What is your Calcium level?

7 hours ago, Photo fish said:

I can use micromix trace elements

Got a link to the product?

Trace elements are only needed in minute amounts, hence the name. 3 times a week dose is way too much even without looking at the product. Then it asks you to throw it out with a 50% water change. Might as well dose it 1/3 the amount fortnightly without a special water change and just do your regular water change. 

Photo fish

Keep Ca level around 30 to 40 ppm, dgh 6.. 

Micromix is sold by Green leaf Aquariums. I use it for my planted aquariums. I will try it at about .25 in my 20 gallon. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg