Glass shrimp: genus Paratya

fishmosy

Mine don't do a very good job at eating hair algae at all.

they are in with my rainbow fry to eat left overs and haven't noticed loses

Edited by buck

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Dude this is a super cool info page, thanks heaps for writing it up!

Any updates on colour variants and their determinants? (hereditary/environmental factors?)

No updates. I'm not aware of anyone working on breeding /line breeding this species - although I believe I found a population with direct developing larvae. I need to get more samples to confirm. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, fishmosy said:

population with direct developing larvae

What do you mean by direct developing larvae?

By direct developing larvae - larvae that hatch out close to being ready to settle on the bottom. For example, cherry and CRS have direct developing larvae as opposed to the planktonic larvae of typus or gracilirostris (for example) that must develop through a series of larvae stages before they are ready to settle onto the bottom. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fishmosy said:

By direct developing larvae - larvae that hatch out close to being ready to settle on the bottom. For example, cherry and CRS have direct developing larvae as opposed to the planktonic larvae of typus or gracilirostris (for example) that must develop through a series of larvae stages before they are ready to settle onto the bottom. 

I see. Thanks.

I knew some shrimp go through the larvae stage. But it was the first time I've heard of that term.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What an epic article! Just caught some in Sydney. Keen to see how they go in the next few months. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hehe I've got a rack that is already to stock with natives. Just have to go find some.

• Like 1

Just an update with regards to colour variations. I can confirm that there are full red variants of the Paratya. A member here sent me a photo of one recently with a close up of the supra orbital spines to prove it was a Paratya. It's colour coverage was better than I've seen in some cherry shrimp being sold lately but definitely not to same degree as a painted or fire cherry. No knowledge yet on whether the colour can be passed to offspring. 

Also confirm presence of light blue variants. I'm keeping some now and attempting to line breed. 

• Like 4

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:35 PM, fishmosy said:

... Also confirm presence of light blue variants. I'm keeping some now and attempting to line breed. 

That sounds interesting. ?

• 3 weeks later...

Great article @fishmosy a shrimp that should be in all collections and not just for feeding fish, I also read that they are harder to see by some fish in a tank due to their colouration almost being clear. Thanks for the great advice and knowledge shared.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update to say that mine are going very well in my co2 nano tank. They are super greedy with food. I dropped one in without acclimatisation and it still survived. There would have been no chance with a CRS, or even some cherries as the water is very high in CO2.

Quick update to say that mine are going very well in my co2 nano tank. They are super greedy with food. I dropped one in without acclimatisation and it still survived. There would have been no chance with a CRS, or even some cherries as the water is very high in CO2.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I've just finished updating the article with new text, more pictures and added links. please check it out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

great write up. I got some paratya from livefish about 4 years ago to clean up after my turtle. they did a great job. I tried looking up info about them many times but i've never seen any write ups this comprehensive and easy to understand.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Afternoon. I have some shrimp caught from Waikerie mid last year, they berried up and hatched larvae when temps warmed up. I have seen the half adult larvae sitting on the glass on one day, and the next they are gone, I haven’t seen any properly formed shrimp yet, it has been around 20 -30 days since the first siting of near end stage larval shrimp. Are they just hiding? Or is it the salinity problem again. I can’t find any decent information on the salinity at that spot. I get ECs ~200 but not helpful when reading your post as your use “ ppts”

thoughts and opinions? I love these little guys and I want more adults! 

1 hour ago, ShrimpSnake said:

Are they just hiding? Or is it the salinity problem again.

Maybe they are not getting food.