Best filter media for shrimp tanks

Guest Benny

Guest Benny

As there's a lot of filter media types, what's your preferred for shrimp tanks? Any new and interesting media from international shrimp breeders?

well i don't know which is best but i've always used seachem matrix or aqua clay. i add in purigen and caron filters and it seems to work a dream. fairly cheap at my lfs compare to eheim filter media considering they buy in bulk so the matrix is only like 10-15 per litre i think

I use matrix, totto and power house

Matrix is cheaper than other

Around $10/L

Power house $15-35/L

Depend on Which model

I have a few different setup's but am thinking of making them all the same for stability of systems and making the parameters as close as possible all around. I am using Matrix, Marine Pure (i got a stack of this cheap from my LFS) Noodles, filter wool, purigen and benibachi red bee balls

i have a totto filter with standard included media.

hob's with matrix, purigen, marine pure and red bee balls

eheim 2213's with matrix, marine pure, filter wool and generic noodles

Eheim Substrat Pro.

I also use Macropore instead of purigen to polish water is it is cheaper and is the same product. I also use heaps of filter polishing wool and sponge.

For filters i use Eheim Canister filters. I have a 2228, 2213 and 2211 Preilter. I fill these up with the above filter media but the 2228 has pot scrubbers in one compartment.

$10 per 1 litre for matrix? Where can I get some of this great deal? :)

The reef shop, guppys aquarium products etc etc. Lots of shops other than these two that come to my mind.

Hmm.. the cheapest I could find is $14.90 + shipping. Probably cheaper to get from LFS by the time it's shipped.

• 3 years later...

Good work @Leo Tsui 

You are bringing up a lot of good posts I have forgotten about.

Keep it up!

Filter media is always a good topic.

What was good last year, might not be the best this year.

I still find marine pure the best "biological" media.

But are there anything new on the market people have heard of?

I think it takes many hundred shrimp in a small tank to push the bio-load up to the point where the efficiency of biological media matters.

Therefore I use sponge filters only and keep some plants in most tanks.  What bothers me most is the cloudy water several hundred feeding shrimp create by constantly throwing fine particulates into the water column. For this reason I put my emphasis on mechanical filtration using air lift sponges that allow me to easily swap sponges over and get the fine gunk out of the tanks entirely.  I've never detected ammonia in any of my shrimp tanks so they appear to be good enough on the biological too.

I forgot to mention 3 years ago I was also using k1 media in a DIY air powered tumbler (idea came from Dean) a very simple but effective biological filter.

• 1 month later...

Most of my tanks are those nanos that have built-in filter media compartments and a pump. Most came with what seemed like waaaaaay more sponge than necessary, and I've replaced most of the sponge with matrix but leave at least some sponge in to catch debris. I swear one of the tanks has cleaner water than comes out of my taps >_>