shrimp rack need opinion

poeticwinter

just thought getting this rack but not sure it's seems not stable? i think it's an ikea rack, anyone every using it? or may be i think theres ways to make it stable and keep up the weight?

I was thinking to covered the bottom back with polywood to help support the weight and stability what do you guys think?

im planning to put from bottom to top

tank 1: 76x30x40cm

tank 2: 61x26x30cm

tank 3: 46x24x30cm

tank 4&5: 40x26x30cm & 25x25x26cm (on the top)

rack.jpg

Edited by poeticwinter

Nope i would not trust that for any tank!

i don't think it would be strong enough either.

Seriously better to be safe especially when dealing with glass tanks full of water and expensive shrimp!

this one look promising dunno how much and where to buy though haha

image.jpg

btw is the bunnings rack comes with the shelf? or just a metal structure? as ive seen online they seems comes with mdf shelving which not good for weight and water

this one look promising dunno how much and where to buy though haha

image.jpg

btw is the bunnings rack comes with the shelf? or just a metal structure? as ive seen online they seems comes with mdf shelving which not good for weight and water

if it is made of stainless or ally it will probably be very expensive, a lot of people seem to be using the bunnings racks, i am very DIY myself so if i can make something myself i do(could buy cheaper sometimes but wheres the fun in that) i think people replace the mdf with painted/varnished plywood on the bunnings racks..

Edited by petfish

Youtube Teds Fishroom.... I made a rack like this..... I would post a picture but I don't know how.

Personally, I use pallet racking or long span shelving, s bit stronger than Bunnings Rack-it system. If you do youse Rack-it, the I recommend you don't use anything longer than 900mm as they flex way too much! Definitely replace the MDF shelf with ply, I recommend using 19mm but you can use 16mm if the tanks are smaller, this will help with the flex of the shelves. :thumbsu:

That's an awesome vid @inverted here's the vid for everyone to watch. :D

Edited by Squiggle

thanks everyone ill going check bunnings today :) and that video was very good information :)

As Squiggle suggested, replacing the MDF with Marine Ply is well worth it. They will cut it to size at Bunnings for you too!

Your first rack image posted would be a no go for sure, minimal support.

All the best. Don't rush in, be sure to ask if you're not sure on your options.

Whatever you choose, it's very exciting news!!

finally i bought my rack. this rack is 5 tier and can hold 350kg per shelf. just need time to build it and make space on my tiny flat a mess hahaha....  ill take some photo after build the rack next week. btw how do u guys hanging the light if the shelfing using board? want to hear a few suggestion. i have very light led usually i just put on top glass. wonder theres ways to hanging without drilling

shelf2.jpg

Edited by poeticwinter

You can use long cable ties, or if strip light led's with the heavy bits (drivers/power supply) separate you can use double sided tape.