CRS colony starting to establish (finally)

newbreed

I have always had this thought of having a 6ft tank undivided for just CRS so they can have as many population exploisions as they like

You should get your idea in motion OzShrimp!

The three footer is already looking brilliant with so many adults, another month it may start to look like a mini version of Eshrimps awe inspiring Crystal tank!

A six footer would be WOW!!

Not while i live where i do, too hard to sell post shrimp from here with exception of winter due to the extra day postage and high heats. It will wait until i save up enough to buy a house and move.

I have an undivided six foot for shrimp, well techinically I use it for growing mosses and have my cull CRS to eat the algae. Will post pics. Haven't had it set up for too long but the females are berried, so not too far away.

• Like 1

Woohoo, love a tank full of crs. Counted fifteen girls berried today, many have already dropped, theres little red and white critters everywhere. If they keep going this was I may have to get a larger setup going.

Got some pics this week, pretty basic shots. The setup is not too much to look at, I'm more into the inhabitants over the scape.

I'ts a bit of a bolbitis jungle in there.

post-558-0-55421500-1414884632_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-40178400-1414884679_thumb.jpg

Time to play spot the shrimplets.... a game I enjoy, and I know most of you do, every day!!!

post-558-0-70237700-1414884811_thumb.jpg

It's not anywhere near full yet, but once they all start to grow....

post-558-0-11237800-1414884860_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-81072800-1414884896_thumb.jpg

I have not had one black (CBS) or SW baby being dropped in this tank. Am very lucky the red is dominant in here after a couple of generations.

I have noticed some ss bubs coming through in this lots, so the culls I got mid year are starting to have an effect.

• HOF Member

looking good Jamie. Once they take off they don't seem to stop do they? It's great to see they are doing so well for you.

My tank is more a planted tank than moss tank too. the side walls are green with neglect but covered in babies -it's so cool to see. Mine haven't had any CBS or Whites either which is amazing because I did have CBS in there about 12 months ago. My quality is not so good although the babies are definitely better than their parents. I should start to cull but I just want a large colony like Eshrimp so not too worried .

That is really cool man.

I cant wait to follow in your footsteps. Good work!

• Like 1

That's so cool to see Jamie.

The lil bubs are soooo cute.

My tank is a bit like that too. This spring has been good to me too. Lil CRS bubs everywhere.

• 1 month later...

Any tips for heart broken shrimper looking to start a colony again?

Best advice is don't give up! I have lost many shrimp over the last 18 months, but learn and move onto next setup!!

Research, research, research. Ask lots of questions and take your time getting things set up!!

You will be right!! I look forward to images of your thriving colony in the near future Sacinator!!

Some more pics from The CRS forest!!

crs1312004.jpg

crs1312001.jpg

crs1312003.jpg

crs1312002.jpg

• Like 1

• HOF Member

Wow Jamie you have certainly turned the corner with your shrimp keeping. congratulations  on a job  well done and for sticking with it when the going got tough! :thumbsu:  Now if I can just heed my own advice!

It's great when it works!! Still much more to learn!! And wouldn't still be keeping shrimp if it wasn't for the support, motivation and inspiration this forum and community have given me!

All in good time Ineke!! You know your tanks are just about to take off!! And I very much look forward to seeing the updates when they do!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So time for an update on the CRS tank.

I am so thankful that this tanks population just keep on multiplying. The graded are starting to increase as a result of Gbang's boys being added to the mix about seven months ago.

I love seeing this tank each day. I have left the biofilm grow on the front glass pane now and it's wonderful to have a shrimplet swarm each day.

Enjoy!!

post-558-0-32982300-1424496531_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-93004100-1424496532_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-33333700-1424496534_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-06316800-1424496536_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-20590000-1424496538_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-09174900-1424496540_thumb.jpg

Once the new rack is up and running, I will have to separate some grades to focus their future development.

• Like 4

Oh wow!

Lovely to see so many generations. From small to adult shrimps.

I see some really good quality Mosura in there as well.

It's an infestation.

I'd be happy to take some off your hands, if you need to get rid of some   :lol:

• Like 2

Love the pics man.

The colour on the shrimplets are already nice, keep up the good work!

Might have to move east soon. Lol

• Like 1

Ooo your must be super excited, how many you would estimate you have (i know its hard lol).

My tank is not as infested as yours but i have counted i have increased my population from around 15 to 100-120. 

• Like 1

Ooo your must be super excited, how many you would estimate you have (i know its hard lol).

My tank is not as infested as yours but i have counted i have increased my population from around 15 to 100-120.

Congrats Oz! Awesome to hear your colony has grown so well too!! Over 100 already, sweet!! It's a great feeling when it grows to these kind of numbers.

If I had to estimate I would say there are between 250-350 in there now. There are so many tiny newborns floating about! The tank has produced so many, would have sold at least 300 0.6-0.8 juvies in the past four months too.

I am amazed how well the tank and colony have done considering they took so long to start up. But now I can't touch or do anything different to the tank for fear of it stopping. Guessing Mother Nature will slow them down when they reach too big a population.

Oh wow!

Lovely to see so many generations. From small to adult shrimps.

I see some really good quality Mosura in there as well.

It's an infestation.

I'd be happy to take some off your hands, if you need to get rid of some   :lol:

Thanks for offering to help rehouse them Jayc! Lol. I have been selling quite a few of the a-s grades over the last few months and have been holding onto the ss/SSS for future projects. Probably around 30-40 sub adult ss+ now, so they will have their own tank very soon.

• Like 2

So at the approximate value  and 300 sold you would be getting close to covering your investment soon which would be awesome!

Soon it will be paying for your other shrimp ventures lol. 

What is the saying ard here?

Pics or it didn't happen!

• Like 1