CRS colony starting to establish (finally)

newbreed

So at the approximate value  and 300 sold you would be getting close to covering your investment soon which would be awesome!

Soon it will be paying for your other shrimp ventures lol.

Hahahaha!! You forget, this is me your are referring to! Mr impulsive spender!!

Any sales I have made are just funding more and more stock, products and general nonsense!

But yeah, that tank has more than paid for itself. And has helped the next stage begin....

post-558-0-71593000-1424589536_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-28205200-1424589522_thumb.jpg

But that will be another thread!! :)

• Like 6

That CRS colony in the tank stunned me! Awesome breeding newbreed!

Look forward for those empty tank to be filled with the CRS! (I'm gonna copy those step by step :) )

• Like 1

Their really nice look quality tanks, how much did they cost you?

Will you still be running your big tank?

I am kinda weighing up sticking to 1 tank and just going bigger up to 6ft but then if i was to setup a rack like you said you can selectively breed.

They are custom 40cm cubes made by Subscape Aquariums. As I am clumsy they predrilled them for me. With cover glass they came to around $90 each. Well worth it!!

They are mainly for a new TB rack but a couple will be for higher grade CRS!

The current tank won't be touched! It's working just right so not tempting fate by altering anything there! But the way they're breeding I may have to go with your idea Oz and setup a six footer for them. :)

Awesome colony! I miss my days of having one that size. I'm down to less than 25 adults now but my Crs are just starting up breeding again, so fingers crossed I get there again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update!! Took some pics on the weekend, not too high quality but good enough to show these CRS don't stop reproducing!!

Its hard to imagine, looking at the tank, that it started with only 15 shrimp. It's a good reminder that you don't have to start with big numbers to get a colony going with time.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. Just glad you can all appreciate it as much as I do!!

post-558-0-07132600-1428499541_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-56842300-1428499544_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-14441500-1428499548_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-11058400-1428499552_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-02073300-1428499556_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-40981300-1428499561_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-07132600-1428499541_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-56842300-1428499544_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-14441500-1428499548_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-11058400-1428499552_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-02073300-1428499556_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-40981300-1428499561_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

New breed, now I hate you

... just jalous :tongue:

Hate is such a strong word!! [emoji24]

Only reason I update is to show that if I can have this success/luck, then everyone here can too. It has only happened by me following advice offered and learning from others examples.

But I get your jelly, I had the same feelings every time Bluebolts posted pics of his colonies,. It will be your pics making us jelly before you know it.

Yup, forget hate, I was poking at fun ... I don't know what happened in my tank during this week end when I was away: only 3 RCS show now, instead of the 9 I had...

That being said, congrats on yours ;) i hope I'll have such a healthy tank of RCS one day.

Always like seeing the updates on this tank. Very inspiring for me as having a tank full of CRS like this is one of my goals for the next year or so. Keep it up!

Have you started sorting out the different grades yet?

I did prior to Shrimp Championships, as I was considering entering some, but changed my mind last minute.

Had the SS and SSS in breeder box for a few weeks but have now put them all back together. The rack setup is coming along slower than planned so might as well let them comingle for awhile longer. There were around 30-40 higher grade, by the time the rack is cycled they will be just at breeding size!! [emoji1]

• HOF Member

Looking good Jamie. Mine seemed to have slowed down since I sold some- typical- I only sold them because I thought I would need more room in the tank. I've still got babies but not anywhere near as many as you!

Thanks for sharing .....love seeing other peoples tanks.

You certainly look to have a good size colony there.

What size is that tank?

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing .....love seeing other peoples tanks.

You certainly look to have a good size colony there.

What size is that tank?

Cheers! It's a standard three foot tank. If I had my way I would be setting up a six footer! May have to work on the other half! Would be great to just give them more space and let them continue on.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So had to give the CRS jungle a tidy up today. They have stopped breeding over winter, hopefully they get busy again soon!! Lol

image.thumb.jpg.319af4d431caa0bcf479938eimage.thumb.jpg.ec0714bcefeda51b1d978655image.thumb.jpg.2d711faeb16b2cc6edf8cbdaimage.thumb.jpg.07cea33827fb1539c52c16ddimage.thumb.jpg.5dd96da5012fd925b66368a8image.thumb.jpg.32d46e9335e7dcbdaf4fab9aimage.thumb.jpg.778fc26fdbe2b481ed8dbfd6

really happy with how they're developing!

did have a spate of mystery deaths, first time in eighteen months, so was shocked. Have done the usual water changes, mineral powder, beta-g, IAL and alder cones to arrest it! All seems stable now thankfully!!

mainly older ones popping off so may also be the colony has reached its limits!

image.jpg

• Like 3

Must be the time of year cause i am in the same boat, over winter i have had 1 drop of shrimplets and about 3 deaths in the last 2 weeks or so :)

Interesting Oz! I freaked at the deaths as another tank had issues so I have also given a pre-emptive dose of tetracycline. The bacterial infections over the last twelve months have me on high alert, and I shared a net with the problem tank, so I thought best to nuke the tank just in case. 

i am so looking forward to berries again. From last years example it looks like September things will start up again. 

This tank us still a great inspiration for me since i joined. Thanks for the updates.

Hopefully in 6 months I'll have my crs sections as full as yours.

• Like 1

Normally my shrimp would berry up after a water change every single time but no so luck this winter. Also observed the tds to go up by 20 after i did my last water change within like an hour so i think that my tds pen may have been playing up or something.

How any shrimp would you estimate you have?

I would be down to around 200 I reckon. And possibly 60% would be under 1cm.

I have sold sooooooo many! Glad that I keep hearing that juvies I have sold are now berried it parents. Nice that this tank has helped a fair few on their CRS journeys.

I look forward to it getting back to berries though!! 

• Like 1

So added some Boss Snow to the CRS tank tonight. Glad the new layout makes them easier to view.

image.thumb.jpg.87e443dcca606438c06a11a2image.thumb.jpg.e486ca69a774fddaef33f860

Below is a half hour after it snowed!! I love this tank!

image.thumb.jpg.7b479ad686c2a468e19d5ee0

• Like 7