Sign in to follow this  
daimen

How to tell colour from shrimplets

daimen

Hi guys I have velvet cherries that have had babies I'm seeing some babies with red lines through them and no real blue. Should I wait longer for the blue to come through or cull them straight away?

Ronskitz

Im wondering the same at the moment how young is too young? Do patterns/colour improve greatly enough to go to the cichlids lol

BlueBolts

There's really no rush to cull prior to them reaching their reproductive age. When they're 7-8mm, that perhaps a good time to cull.

Also, it all depends on the stage of your program. Some of the shrimps that I've culled too early, ended up back to my selective program.

daimen

I'm really just trying to keep the blue that I already have. They are about 3 weeks old. And some are growing fast.

Squiggle

They won't be ready to breed till about 2-3mths, so as BB said, just leave them for now as they'll have no impact on the breeding of your blues. You might need another tank for them if they have good enough patterns! :D

daimen

I have a cull tank. I'm working on getting a aqua one betta trio. For a few crystals and maybe some of my better cherries. But of course this all depends on the keeper of finances

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Fantastic photos and great that the RO water unit and pen arrived so promptly! It is always exciting when you get a batch of shrimplets - something I am looking forward too! Simon
    • Lizzy
      Some photos I took yesterday
    • jayc
      Springs here, so maybe the shrimp are more active for breeding? Hope you are collecting the waste RO water for watering your plants.
    • Lizzy
      Bought an RO DI unit from FSA. Free postage and it arrived in 2 days. Very happy. The TDS pen arrived today so I got busy. For reference, I’m about 2 hours North of Sydney. Tap water: TDS 155-157. PH 7-7.2 RO water: TDS 0-1 (Remineralised to 150). PH 6.6 CRS tank water: TDS 198. PH 7-7.2 I siphoned a vey small amount of tank water and am in the process of drip feeding the RO water into the tank. I’ll do this method during water changes until the tank water PH is at 6.6 I guess.  Also found new born shrimplets yesterday and two more berried females. I haven’t seen any berried in about a month so I’m happy.
    • jayc
      But the shrimp will be thinking otherwise. Look at all that yummy brown diatom!