• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doctr-dan

• Sprae

• Triggs

• Trav80

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant recall the temp outside but Im almost 100% sure that its not temp related as this has been going on since winter and even now on the hot days my tank doesnt vary more than 1 degree

If finally got around to testing the noodles I've been using as my gh is still up around 11.

So I put about a dozen noodles in a container with the water mix I'm using for the tank which has a gh of 5.

I did this on Sunday morning and tested it again this morning and it was 5-6 so there hasn't been a real rise in the gh from the noodles as yet!

How long should I wait?

• 2 weeks later...

So after 7 days the noodles raised the GH by 2 so Im assuming that with the larger volume of noodles thats in the hob its managing to raise the GH of the tank to 11.

So heres the next question, whats the best way to get over this problem?

Its not a great idea to just take the noodles out and replace them in one hit but there is no room for new noodles.

I have another tank setup which I could transfer some of the larger shrimp over to but a number of my shrimplets are too small.

Your biological filtration won't be in the noodles alone.

They build up in the sponges, substrates etc etc.

I doubt you'd have any massively negative impacts by removing and replacing all the noodles all at once.

Otherwise you could just remove 1/4 of them and replace them and keep doing it each few days until all the noodles have been replaced.

Because your tank is already 'seeded' And there is already bacteria in the sponges and in your filter and tank it won't take as long for the new noodles to develop the bacteria at all.

Your biological filtration won't be in the noodles alone.

They build up in the sponges' date=' substrates etc etc.

I doubt you'd have any massively negative impacts by removing and replacing all the noodles all at once.

Otherwise you could just remove 1/4 of them and replace them and keep doing it each few days until all the noodles have been replaced.

Because your tank is already 'seeded' And there is already bacteria in the sponges and in your filter and tank it won't take as long for the new noodles to develop the bacteria at all.[/quote']

Thanks Triggs I might do it today