Tds pen help

Ronskitz

Gday guys and girls, just wondering if anyone has purchased a tds pen on fleabay as i cant afford to get a decent one yet(if ever haha) and what do you think of it

Thanks

I currently have one on the way from HK. So ill be able to update you soon. It was under $10 and same design and colour as ones I've seen other members here with.

I will let you know soon. :)

Just bought a cheapie on Ebay from Spiderz in SA for $12.80 free postage. I probably need to compare it with an expensive one to find out how accurate it is, or does onyone know of another way to check, anyone?. 

I've had issues with PH pens, but not TDS.... Although I wouldn't buy the cheapest TDS pen, the cheaper ones seem to be as accurate....just need to know its conversion of Ec, (0.5. .64....)

• HOF Member

I received my Hannah TDS pen this morning and my cheap HK pen is only 4 ppm out. I tested it at various ppm and each time it were fairly close to the Hannah .

I received my Hannah TDS pen this morning and my cheap HK pen is only 4 ppm out. I tested it at various ppm and each time it were fairly close to the Hannah .

Excellent thanks Ineke i know it may be a long shot but any chance the cheap one is branded or any distinct features/colours so o can try get the same one coz 4 ppm out sounds damn good to me thats bugger all :)

• HOF Member

I don't have the link but it is the blue one with an on/off and hold switch it is pretty common when you search for a TDS pen, no brand on it. I also have the one that our sponsor Aquakitz sells and that shows the same ppm as the non Hannah one. Having said that the Hannah was $40 delivered so still a cheap option but the blue one has worked well for 18 months now. 

Yeah the cheapies are good to start out & I have two of the Hannah ones & they are reliable for $40 but I am going to invest in a kickass one as I feel that when you have lots of TBs etc, it's definitely worth the extra money. :D

• HOF Member

Yes I have to agree with Squiggs. Once you start getting into the higher level shrimp it is worth getting a top end pen. The cheaper ones are a good start and at the very least give the stability that the shrimp need but quality control is probably not as good and if you get a bad one then you can lose a lot of shrimp.

Thanks for replies everyone much appreciated on pay day i will grab a cheapy

• 4 months later...

hey guys this looked like a good place to ask a question about tds pens.

im looking at getting a tds pen and came across this, it’s a tds and ph pen combo. just wondering if anyone has used these before or if they look legit, they sound like they should work ok but I’m a sceptic on cheap things. I’ve seen a lot of people on different forums have issues with cheap ph pens but not so much cheap tds.

Do you think it’s worth the gamble?

Edited by fishmosy
Do not link to non-sponsor sellers

With pH pens, its always best to go with the most expensive that you can afford. You get what you pay for.

yeah thats what i thought, its more the tds im keen on. (about to set up an ro system i was given)  what are good brands? or is it more a case of look for an expensive one and thats a good one?

Hannah are the ones I use & I know a lot of breeders use them too, definitely not cheap though. :D

I got this hanna one about $45 incl postage from america, really good seller and they asked what i was testing and what reading i wanted it calibrated around.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HANNA-TDS1-TDS-PPM-WATER-TESTER-IONIC-PPM-RO-DI-/310212145384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483a15b0e8

Cheers guys I picked one up from the place I got my filters and r.o membrane, $77 3year warranty and there local so I can get it sorted quickly if it breaks :)