Is Prime Shrimp safe?

newbreed

Hey There,

As the title says, is it safe to use prime to dechlorinate tap water to be used in a shrimp tank?

I am lucky enough to have access to reliable rainwater but if I ever needed a backup it would be good to know.

Thanks in advance.

Curious to know whether it raises TDS ? If it does, I wouldn't use it... I'm sure many use it, but whether it affects shrimps in the long run ? I'm not sure ...

• Like 1

I always use it and never had a problem. I have checked Tap water TDS then tap water with added prime TDS and noticed little if not no change to the TDS.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback! Just a fallback if I need it!

Will evetually go RO if we re-do our roof, unsure what affect it will have on my tank water!

Depending your tap water. my tap water have 800+ tds. so i used Portable RO unit. but sometimes i mix with tap water very little ammount to raise my tds. But yes seachem prime is shrimp safe. im using for my tank

• Like 1

In general Prime is safe to use. But I find it expensive. My preference is GK Lloyd's Supachlor, which you can buy from our sponsor Techden. Cheaper, and treats lime in town water, heavy metals, etc.

One thing to note with Prime, but is unproven however there are many cases, is that Prime deprives the water of oxygen if you use more then the recommended dose. You might be using more to try neutralising ammonia, for example.

So if you had to use Prime in this manner and use extra dosage, watch for signs of oxygen deprivation, and aerate heaps.

• Like 1

Thanks Jayc and poeticwinter. Hope to not have to use it, but will be sure to only stick to the recommended dose if I have to.

I found that prime raised my RO water TDS from 0 to approximately 60-80 so I stopped using it since I have a 5 stage system

I found that prime raised my RO water TDS from 0 to approximately 60-80 so I stopped using it since I have a 5 stage system

That would make sense.

RO with 0 TDS is essentially pure water. Adding chems to pure water will raise TDS. 

Dechlorinator is not needed for RO water anyway.

Have to agree but the is another product called "Fraction" it's exactly the same as Prime because it's made by the guy who invented Prime & AoA has it at a fraction of the cost(see what I did there, lol) :D

Edited by Squiggle
  • Like 1

Is it a similar dosage rate or do you only need to use a Fraction of the amount? (see what I, er, tried to do there?) :startle: