Start of something new

Jimmynich

Hi all. Been a member for some time now and had ups and downs already breeding tb/mish. I have just moved in with my girlfriend to a nice apartment and am setting up my four foot as a divided mish/tiger/tb breeder. Using my existing substrate which is around 5 bags of up aqua shrimp soil with a bag of benibachi powder over the top. Hardware will be a halea chiller, eheim 2217 and an aqua one 800 cannister also. Chiller will be run via the aqua one cannister as the slower flow rate will keep temps a bit more constant when the chiller kicks in. Have still got the aqua one in a bucket running with old tank water until my new ro unit arrives. Already lined the bottom of the tank with bee mineral bacteria aswell as micronektron powder. Plan on updating this journal with plenty of pics as I go. I have some beautiful perspex dividers on the way from Korea so will update again when they arrive. Can't wait to get it cycling. [ATTACH]6757[/ATTACH]

post-3754-139909865872_thumb.jpg

Also big thanks to squiggle for all the info and question answering you've done for the past fortnight. Aswell as the parcel of goodies. :)

Thanks guys. Will look much better with the 120cm z series led I've got coming and the dividers. Also have some nice mosses and swords on the way. Not so much focusing on plants due to the tank being a breeder so low maintenance is key with plants I've ordered.

Small update,

Received my ro filter from FSA, bought a 100L water tank from bunnings for water storage and filled the tank with about 70% RO water and 30% tap.

Hooked up my old seeded aqua one cannister and plummed the chiller in also, not that ill be needing it much now. Threw in a few guppies and some sacrificial red cherries.

Now to wait for the cycle, dividers and LED.

[ATTACH]6762[/ATTACH]

post-3754-139909856386_thumb.jpg

Well we have light! Received my 120cm z series LED today and set it up, really happy with the quality and brightness. Starting to get a nice hint of ammonia in the water so cycle is underway. Ordered some stainless filter uptakes and still waiting on dividers then it'll be ready. [ATTACH]6790[/ATTACH]

post-3754-139909856406_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Few inhabitants already in. Ph is 6.4 gh is 5 kh is 0. Purigen added to one of the cannisters yesterday and already dropped nitrate to under 5ppm. Dropped my dividers into a joinery shop today to get modified a bit so they're a perfect fit. fetch?filedataid=5886 Cool tear drop pattern on that blue gene red rilli

And they're back. Just need sponge for the holes now fetch?filedataid=5892

Mucked around today and bent up some feeding trays pretty happy with them

post-722-139936601302_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jimmynich
  • Like 1

Tank is looking good , what did you make the feeding trays from ?

Cheers Twellsy

Tank is looking good , what did you make the feeding trays from ?

Cheers Twellsy

Just 6mm perspex. Cost me $10 all up and a bit of time with the heat gun.

Looks fantastic dude, very cool! Can't wait for more pics & updates! :D

Cheers Squigs, I also drilled out my 2217 spray bar holes to reduce flow in the 2 foot section, considering just using it for mish females and male tb now for more room. We'll see though. Waiting on two 150w jagers to turn up and some Ista moss holders then it'll be finished.

Edited by Jimmynich

Mate it's looking brilliant. Love the feeding tray design! Simply awesome, you must be wrapped with it!

Mate it's looking brilliant. Love the feeding tray design! Simply awesome, you must be wrapped with it!

Thanks mate, it's come along pretty well and the WP's are spot on which is the most important thing. Super happy, i wanted to take my time in the set up to give myself the best chance at breeding down the track.

Worth taking the time now to get it right, then enjoy later! Look forward to future updates!

• 3 weeks later...

So not to much to update except for some new Ista moss holders to clean up the look of the tank and a pair of 150W jagers to replace my old aqua one heater. First section is Fissiden, second section has willow moss, and the last 2 foot section has peacock and another lot of fiss aswell as a new anubias nanna petite on the wood some more peacock and a flame moss matt on the back wall. Getting some good biofilm growing now and plenty of berried rillis. Happy with a ph of around 5.9 - 6.0

Anyways here are the pics along with a little bit of moss I found from the garden that id love an ID on. More exciting updates next week :D

post-722-14007323605_thumb.jpgpost-722-140073243472_thumb.jpgpost-722-140073246277_thumb.jpgpost-722-140073248901_thumb.jpg

New additions to the tank courtesy of Squigs, adult bb and three juvies!

post-722-140127230029_thumb.jpg

post-722-140127227172_thumb.jpg