Slin1977- Advanced Bee Keeping

slin1977

Time to share my journal as a Beekeeper :)

Some of you already know me from other forums where I share my experiences about my hobbies as a Reefkeeper, Guppy genetic manipulator and now a new direction Bees.

I enjoy having projects that give me distraction from the daily grind.

Having a hobby in Saltwater aquariums opens up countless avenues to go explore the same can be said for Guppy Genetics..... not content with having all that - I have decided to explore Tibee and Taibee genetics too:)

Having landed in a friendly forum such as Shrimp Keepers, it's now time to share what's going on in my tanks. So here goes......

+1..... Very much looking forward to this thread. Thanks in advance slin1977, love to see others viewpoints on genetics.

Hahaha- firstly without the SKF love I would not have been able to secure enough genetics to set me off.

I have travelled far and wide and met some guys and gals along the way who got my shrimp rack populated to where it is today. Since most shrimp I got were really small I have had to wait what seemed like ages before I could step up from shrimp keeper to shrimp breeder.

Welcome to another "Area51" ;)

image_zps24c1143d.jpg

• HOF Member

Nooooooooo not another Area 51 , :worried: can't stand the not knowing. Just a little sneaky peek will do!

Now thats just teasing haha

I think this fine lass is teasing me - I think that's a saddle I am spying. ;)

image_zpse318e555.jpg

Yeah ! Love the Area 51, and the conspiracy theories that come with it ? She's gorgeous. Difficult to see whether she's berried, but looking at her body shape she's either been berried before or about to....wide hips etc...LOL ....

Yeah ! Love the Area 51' date=' and the conspiracy theories that come with it ? She's gorgeous. Difficult to see whether she's berried, but looking at her body shape she's either been berried before or about to....wide hips etc...LOL ....[/quote']

This babe has just come of age... Born and bred in Sydney but her line is traceable to Melbourne - yet to meet tiger blood lines but she carries Snow White , golden and CBS in her genes! Oh what fun :)

I don't know how I am going to function at work today after reading this. I feel like I need a sicky to be with my shrimp.

I feel like I need a sicky to be with my shrimp.

Is it wrong to admit I have had a few of those!! :)

• Like 1

Moving onto the setup- this tank was a custom job for someone else but the glass maker put a big side on where the open lid was meant to go, waaa!

Turns out that I had the perfect spot for it due to its narrowness it fits perfectly ontop of my ikea cupboards. The tank is a five footer in five separate sections.

filtration is a simple sponge filter, substrate is Cal Aqua Black Earth.

Having 5 shrimp tanks in a rack has given me a lot of chances to steer my shrimping project.

My TBM tank houses male TBM (KK, Panda, BB) and female A/S grade CRS that were line bred for many generations. This tank is doing well with all the young females berried to the TBMs for their first drop.

Havent noticed any special colour eggs amongst the berried female CRS so only time will tell if a TBM comes from this drop. Most likely I'll need to pair up the offspring showing the most dominant traits of TB in order to get Taiwan Bees. Since the TBM males are around F6/F7 you would expect a good strong dose of TB in the Genes they pass on.

It will be good to keep a tank of these going if I am to go down that so called Pinto path....

And always good to throw into a fancy Tibee mix.:beer:

Awesome shrimp! Have you read the Breeders N Keepers magazines slin1977? Lots of inspiration in those pages, Boss have them if you haven't got one yet!

Hello @newbreed One day I'll own a copy of breeders and keepers, had my eye on that magazine for a while now :) April was a fantastic month in the breeding program with two batches of F1 Tibees from nice full grown CRS females to the dark blue OEBT stud. And very small batches to the first time CRS females mated to the TBM males. Hope to keep the program moving forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update. So my advanced tibee colony decided to reward me with a smile. A white @BlueBolts tiger is berried in my care. I'll have to try her with a TBM King Kong next round .... For now we can expect more Tibees or fancy Tibees from her drop. I'll be happy with anything for now as I grow my colony.

Had an outbreak of Hydra, and decided to use my No Planaria sachet on it following the instructions , a level spoon has melted the hydra so far . I removed all shrimp from that tank incase it wiped out the snails and worms that could lead to ammonia spike.

I guess I'll treat one tank at a time.... Two years out of date on the package and still effective!!!!!!

Thinking of changing my active soils over to ADA Amazon as the Cal Aqua is too acidic- it gets to 5.2 ph very quickly. Oh well , with 5 tanks on my breeder I can start the cycle when I get the soil at some stage.

Hope to have some luck soon with my F2 Tibee.... I just know that if she gets berried some cool phenotypes are sure to pop but so far she is really stubborn in getting berried.

Wow, she looks awesome.....these fancy tigers are beautiful, well done :-)