FishBeast's first rack plans. Advice needed.

FishBeast

I ended up getting mine from Mitre 10, all similar prices. Don't forget irrigation places sell them too, even my local animal produce store sells them. Don't limit yourself to the one retailer, unless you want to get the same brand.

I was surprised how much the Plumbing side of things cost but well worth it.

Its an exciting project, keep us posted!!!

i found b/heads to be alot cheaper from masters.

I don't have a master nearby where I live. :( 

I ended up getting mine from Mitre 10, all similar prices. Don't forget irrigation places sell them too, even my local animal produce store sells them. Don't limit yourself to the one retailer, unless you want to get the same brand.

I was surprised how much the Plumbing side of things cost but well worth it.

Its an exciting project, keep us posted!!!

I do have a Mitre 10 nearby so I will definitely check that out. Thanks\. :thumbsu:  

Looking awesome so far....I think this will end up being a great rack.

I love the work going into automating water changes. I assume your building the  control panel yourself ?

Can't wait to see the pic of it all set up 

Powell Industries are the cheapest place for bulkheads & ball valves! :thumbsu:

Powell Industries are the cheapest place for bulkheads & ball valves! :thumbsu:

do they sell online Jay, i had thought of them but fishbeast is in n.s.w.so didn't mention them.

I'm not sure if they do online but they will do it over the phone & deliver, also, there are branches in Sydney too. :thumbsu:

Looking awesome so far....I think this will end up being a great rack.

I love the work going into automating water changes. I assume your building the  control panel yourself ?

Can't wait to see the pic of it all set up 

Yes, I am going to build the control panel out of off cuts of ply wood. 

I struggle with water changes, being so busy at work and with kids buzzing around. 

omg this conversation to intermediate for me hahaha. im thinking to getting rack too. space i have only 85-90 cm is the max. thinking to get rack but i still not sure if it can be using auto water changes as im using portable ro unit from bathroom 6 meter away. wish any hobbiest at perth can help me to building a rack and wc system haha

Today is an exciting day indeed! I bought almost all of the plumbing except for the stainless strainers for the tank outlets, and stacks of other stuff. I could write a massive post but then again I could just post a picture.  :lolu:

That sump is so big, I could pee in it and not harm the shrimp.  :mp3:

_MG_0200_zps0778fe81.jpg

Edited by FishBeast

Oh yeah!! Very nice!! You are going to have tonnes of fun this weekend!

It's going to be awesome!!

Oh yeah!! Very nice!! You are going to have tonnes of fun this weekend!

It's going to be awesome!!

Yeah man!, I actually managed to fit a carton of beer inside the car on the way home. It will definitely be a busy weekend. 

• Like 1

That's what I did wrong with my setup! forgot the beer!

Now it makes sense why I was so stressed out by the end of it! :fpc:

I sort of don't know where to start. I am tinkering around at the moment, getting ready for the real work tomorrow.

There's many in the forum that have amazing design sumps..... For simplicity and personal preference, I use cannister filters, and have them all diverted to a "sump tank" (not a sump as such, see pic).

77456E57-1F7F-4577-98F7-A2D9CD67A404-933

All additives and water changes etc..are done at the sump tank, and never at the shrimps tanks. I have added another 2217, and a denitrator since. I opt for this format, more for a precaution....i.e. Having 2 x cannister filters, plus a sump pump, adding more insurance just in case something happens etc.... Yes, a tad over board and more $ , but works for me :-)

Hey marcus can you please take a photo of your current setup, i run two canister filters and am interested to see how the tank is setup to run with them along with the return ?

Newbreed was right! Putting the rack together is stressful. I am having a great time though. I have made a few mistakes, but here is a teaser for you guys...

_MG_0203_zps28bd98e2.jpg

My first mistake was putting the ball valves on the top row on the outlet! LOL, they will never get used... I have struggled to get some of the plumbing right... I thought to myself "I have slapped a few plumbing joins together, how hard can it be?"

I also decided to save about $200 on union joints and then realised once the top row was permanently plumbed that when the time comes to move the rack, its all fixed! LOL So I took the black ply wood off the bottom rows so that when the rack needs to be moved all I need to do is cut at the down pipes and then move the tanks one shelf at a time. Crazy LOL  :startle:

Looking sweet fishbeast.

Cheers mate. It is really hard work racking, great fun though.

Great work mate! If your not a plumber or have that kind of brain, it's confusing trying to know where to start!

I was wondering why you had taps on the outflow! Oops! :)

I set mine up dry to begin to ensure I had the layout right before gluing. Saved a little stress at the time.

You are doing awesome though dude! You wont know yourself once its up and running. Congrats and enjoy this crazy stage!!

Edited by newbreed

Very cool stuff indeed! I wasn't wondering why you put the taps up the top, I was wondering why you hadn't put any on the bottom as well, lol. You will need the taps on the top to balance the flow to those tank, if you don't you will find that the first tank up top will get all the flow & the last will get none. Other than that it all looks very good, well done dude! :thumbsu:

Also, is there any particular reason why the inlet pipes are below the tanks? They should be above so that gravity can help a bit with the flow into the tanks, also, you will find that you won't have any room for the outlet drainage system, either that or it will be incredibly cluttered back there, lol. :D

Hopefully this should answer your question Squiggle.

_MG_0204_zps885ff0c4.jpg

One thing I didn't think of is where the outlet 40mm pipe was meant to enter the sump is a 25mm hole. LOL So I will have to just have the 40mm go straight into the top of the sump.

Here is a front on of the rack so far. There are 6 holes drilled into each spray bar. The pump I am using is rated at 240 lt/min with a header height of 8 feet (the inlets to the top tanks are about 7 foot). It works out theoretically each hole could have a flow of 74ml every second,or 400mls a second per spray bar, crazy.

_MG_0205_zpsc8919779.jpg

Edited by FishBeast
  • Like 1

Good effort dude looks good so far.

The plumber in me says you could have done it a whole lot cheaper.... but there are many ways to skin a cat!

Can't wait to see to up and running

Good effort dude looks good so far.

The plumber in me says you could have done it a whole lot cheaper.... but there are many ways to skin a cat!

Can't wait to see to up and running

I have to agree, although I made the best with the fittings that were available at the time. There definitely was money that I could have saved by making mistakes or just not knowing any better at the time.

Thanks for reading.

This is going to be amazing! Brilliant job mate!

See that big hole in the wall behind the rack, beer + racking resulting in falling back.  :thumbsd: