Dead shrimp again

Twellsy

Hi All ,

Ready to give this hobby away , a few months ago lost about 30 crystals ( still got 4 babies ) changed to RO water thinking this would solve the problem as everything else was ok ( cherries ok and still breeding )

Got some f9 mischlings from blue bolts about 5 weeks ago , over the last two days I have lost half my stock ( I have tested GH , KH , tds , ammonia , nitrates , nitrites , ph , temp and everything is normal ) I was about to buy some pandas to add to the tank.

They are in a 60litre tank , filter does 5 changes and hour. Running two air pump bio sponges and have Benibachi bee balls and sum moss ( substrate is Benibachi ) I have added some purigen to the filter about 3 weeks ago just as a backup.

I have no idea what else I can do ? Help ?

Cheers Twellsy

what kind tds pen youre using? feed how many times a day and what kind of food? any rocks on the tank? full tank capture also might help

Man, sorry to hear how this is going for you!! It has to settle soon!

How many Bee balls do you have in the 60l tank? Silly question, but what minerals are you adding to the RO?

Damn, thats terrible news..... Pics of tank, and the exact WP would help...realise it's a painful exercise, BUT you seem to have done everything right. Once we eliminate the WP, then we can ascertain external factors.... Are the dead shrimp soft to touch (recent moult - moulting issues (GH)) ? Weekly WC ? What minerals/additives do you use ? how frequent.....

Once you get the issues sorted, I'll restock you, as you've bought many a shrimp, and have been a great friend to the forum :-)

i have same problem before with crs and red cherry keep dying within 2 days lost 12 shrimp

all wp is perfect order.

thing need to check

1. your tds pen probably EC (european standard) which is 30-40ppm different (i compared mine with marcus tds)

2. Rock is suspicious can change your wp. i did take out all my rock on the tank

3. with using ro water you need add mineral (benibachi) or any other brand

4. also add benibachi fulvic to maintain ph and gh on the tank

hope it help. but picture and wp is important as everyone say.

Also feeding regime, leaves added?

Bummer dude! :dejection: I can't add anything to what everyone else has asked so will wait for the WP & feeding regime to throw in my 2cents. :D

Sorry to add more questions. In January you started a thread about having carbon in your filters, did you remove these yet?

I know where you are coming from Craig many a time I have felt disheartened and thought why am I doing this? especially when you are doing everything you can for them...but the thought passes quickly especially when you see little shrimplets after persevering. Stick with it mate you"ll get there...

love skf everyone is love to share, can tell by the post is overload with care and love :)

what kind tds pen youre using? feed how many times a day and what kind of food? any rocks on the tank? full tank capture also might help
Not sure the brand ' date=' I bought it from le aquatic gives the same reading as a friends one. Feed twice a week (combination of hiraki shrimp cuisine , biomax and Benibachi kale tablets ) no rocks
Man, sorry to hear how this is going for you!! It has to settle soon! How many Bee balls do you have in the 60l tank? Silly question, but what minerals are you adding to the RO?
4 bee balls for 60 Litres ( as per deans recommendations ) Salty shrimp gh+
Are the Cherries in the same tank?
I have removed the cherries now , but they shared the same tank and where breeding often with no deaths
Damn, thats terrible news..... Pics of tank, and the exact WP would help...realise it's a painful exercise, BUT you seem to have done everything right. Once we eliminate the WP, then we can ascertain external factors.... Are the dead shrimp soft to touch (recent moult - moulting issues (GH)) ? Weekly WC ? What minerals/additives do you use ? how frequent.....Once you get the issues sorted, I'll restock you, as you've bought many a shrimp, and have been a great friend to the forum :-)
I didn't touch them so not sure if soft or hard , I have seen many Exoskeletons in the tank I do fortnightly water changes about 20% and water top ups on the in between weeks I use the salty shrimp GH+ minerals for RO water temp 23gh 4kh 1tds 140 - water change water 70ph 5.9ammonia 0nitrites 0nitrates 5I will have to get pics of the tank when I'm home tomorrow ( working night shifts )Cheers Twellsy

Sorry to add more questions. In January you started a thread about having carbon in your filters' date=' did you remove these yet?[/quote'] I removed the activated carbon when I switched to RO water No leaves and feeding twice a week

• HOF Member

I asked about the cherries because if they were in the same tank and not dying my line of thought would be wrong. Sometimes it can be as simple as something external that is near the tank. Air freshener, someone spraying fly spray or other aerosol or strong perfume / aftershave on hands, just some things to think about if all WP'S are OK. also contaminated food or a vegie that had insecticide on it.

Hope we can help you get to a solution mate!! I have been through really similar over the last few months, and usually just when things seem sweet.

The only wp I would look to is Gh, would usually look to have this at 5, but will leave for Marcus and other more experienced keepers to comment first.

But a question for the more experienced guys/girls - You have two sponge filters running, so good surface agitation. Would there be a need for Oxydator in this situation, I use them in all mine and believe it helps.

I asked about the cherries because if they were in the same tank and not dying my line of thought would be wrong. Sometimes it can be as simple as something external that is near the tank. Air freshener' date=' someone spraying fly spray or other aerosol or strong perfume / aftershave on hands, just some things to think about if all WP'S are OK. also contaminated food or a vegie that had insecticide on it.[/quote']

I am always aware when putting my hands into any tank ( I normally rinse hands and arms with water several times before ) everyone in the house is to scared to spray anywhere in the house the come and ask me first. The cherries where getting out of control the where breeding so much.

Have you seen the michlings eating well in this time? How many shrimp do you think you would have had in there (max.)?

Have you seen the michlings eating well in this time? How many shrimp do you think you would have had in there (max.)?

Every time I drop food in at the front of the tank they all seem to come and eat ( they normally hang around until it's all gone ) then they go about there normal business

I think I had 13 to start with , Sunday night one died , couple more Monday , Tuesday a few more and now I have like 5 left. ( they seem normal then I find them lying dead on there side )

On the next death, touch the body to determine whether it has recently moulted. If it soft/flesh to touch, then it's a moulting issue. If you can still feel its shell, check on any markings or discourage around its Nepal.

i had similar issues before and I had 8 benibachiballs, took them all out and tank was fine after...

things i'd do

-check for dragonfly nymphs, hydra, etc

-don't let any dead be eaten

-remove all moss in tank

-remove all driftwood in tank

-feed more calcium food

-pray to shrimp Gods

All the best!

• Like 1

On the next death' date=' touch the body to determine whether it has recently moulted. If it soft/flesh to touch, then it's a moulting issue. If you can still feel its shell, check on any markings or discourage around its Nepal.[/quote']Hopefully there is no more , if I have any more I will checkDefintly nothing eating them I will remove the balls when I get home @ 6:30amNo driftwood in the tank I will take all the moss plates out and put them in with the fishI will have to start praying to the shrimp gods What calcium food can I feed them ?Cheers Craig

Organic kale or organic spinach, boiled 5-10min

genchem white pellet

benibachi kale

benibachi ambitious

I do feed them some of the Benibachi kale tablets ( thought that would be safer than buying kale or spinach from the shops ) never no what they have been sprayed with

I will check out the others on the list

When was your last water change?

Do another 20%.

How long has this tank been running?

70 TDS at water change is not enough to replenish Ca and Mg.

Salty shrimp doesn't have enough Ca & Mg anyway, you should be adding more every water change.

Here is a link to a list of Calcium rich fresh foods:

http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/4402-Calcium-rich-food-for-your-shrimp?highlight=calcium

And a link to BB's thread on preparation of Kale (I followed this and never an issue) :

http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/5250-Frozen-Dinner?highlight=kale

I would also consider getting some Indian Almond Leaves in there too. These attract good bacteria and are an addition foods source in between meals.

Have you ever used or added the Micronecton Powder? This can help keep things in balance and assist with moulting.

Also might be worth looking at the Super bacterium Bee Max also. Just to get and maintain as much good bacteria as possible.

Hope some of this can help you back on track. :encouragement: