Caridina sp NTnilotica "Darwin Algae Shrimp" DAS

Baccus

These shrimp get quite nice patterns and markings, and are quite a large chunky shrimp which will develop a short red nose (rostrum).

P10502212_zpsd9458b0f.jpg

P1020223_zps7f0797f7.jpg

P1020215_zps5b7fadaa.jpg

P1020211_zps73cad7b1.jpg

P1020208_zpsd98b4081.jpg

While it is true that the Darwin Red Nose has a rather long pointy nose and is so named because of it, the DAS too will get a orangish nose but without the impressive length of the DRN.

The algae they are on is a type of clado, but the shrimp seem to like picking over it and through it rather than actually eating it. But then it could just be that I give my shrimp far to many much yummier options in the food department.

I will be adding some of the same clado to the tank I have set up for the natives and see how it fairs the attentions of a few hundred Blackmore River Shrimp, Red Nose, Darwin Algae and Chameleon shrimp. Somebody out of that collection is sure to like eating the stuff, and then I will be trialing it on the threadfin rainbows, which are supposed to be avid algae eaters.

Thankfully no its not BBA, it is however a type of clado which can be just as annoying. Although this one will form balls almost like marimo moss but not as tight, it also tends to fix itself onto structure in the tank and when it does it grows sort of like a pompom. Think of a pompom the main central handle is the part that attaches to the structure and the filliments is the streamers.

• 7 months later...

I will add a comment from someone who obtained some DAS this week.  

"Hello Dave,

I know you post on various forums a lot so I wanted to let you know a couple of details in case it's useful for people looking for info. The Delicate Blue Eyes are in a tank with Danios and are getting along very well, in fact both species seem to be behaving as though everyone is the same species. Of course that may change as they colour up more after settling in. The DAS are aggressively clearing out a brown diatom issue, so if anyone needs to know whether these guys eat that, they certainly do. 

Many Thanks

S"

Apologies for thread hijacking - where can I get some?

Edited by fishmosy
No WTB outside of classifieds