Is this Paratya australiensis (glass shrimp)?

daz88

Caught from Sunshine Coast hinterland today at a popular swimming spot. Clear blue, some with black spotting. Quite pretty. All caught in one spot, all have slim bellies, my guess would be all male.

Drip acclimatised, seem to be quite comfortable and scavenging around the tank. Biggest are at least twice the size of the red cherries in there. What is quite odd is that the cherries seem to not like their presence and some are really harassing them. Climb on top of them and picking at the back of their head? The native shrimp freak out and zip away to remove them. I watching a large native literally backing away from a male cherry at least half his size. The cherry is advancing. Has this been experience by others before? These shots are within 5 minutes of being put into tank.

DSC_0532_zpsc2f90efe.jpg

DSC_0531_zps386c180b.jpg

Hi, I'm not sure on the name but I have similar from cedar creek.

I've seen what your talking about with the natives being harassed when first put in the tank, but it does stop and harmony reins lol.

I would like to know if it's territorial or maybe the wild shrimp have micro bacteria on them that the cherry shrimp are eating.

Cheers mick

my wife and i wondered this: "maybe the wild shrimp have micro bacteria on them that the cherry shrimp are eating."

That wouldn't be up Maleny way would it? They are way cool dude, very nice patterns. :encouragement:

Really beautiful up there, I've collected blue eyes, rainbows & rhads from there, also got abused for doing so by a crazy hippie lady, my mate went mental at her for moving our traps, fun times, fun times! :D

Yeah I expected some hippie abuse but none. Probably helped i was catching them with a just a small net, small holding container and with my kids.

We caught one fish, i chucked back in and didn't take a picture, plenty of juvi fish around. Creek looking healthy and we had an awesome paddle in the rock pools. Lake Baroon not looking so good however. Signs up saying closed to swimming and water activities due to water quality issues.