sulawesi shrimp

smicko

So does anyone know if any of these are around, or is owning a tankfull a pipedream?

Sulawesi harlequin shrimp 5_zpsclgsdqgb.jpg

Or even sulawesi cardinal shrimp 7210267_orig_zpsnujb045u.jpg

Absolutely awesome shrimp but will they come from area 51 or area 7 lol

Cheers mick

Ps obviously both pics borrowed off the net.

• Like 2

It's my dream of owning them one day.

If anyone in Aus has them, they are keeping it a low profile to avoid attraction from ... agencies. ;)

You will not find people admitting they have these.

Illegal to import so anyone keeping them is staying very quiet. I have heard that they can be very difficult to keep as they need super low TDS (around 20).

Since all shrimp are illegal to import, I don't see a person having these at home is having any more of an issue than having red cherries IMHO!

It just a matter of one 'came in' earlier than the other!

Have heard of some being around before. They require specific water parameters (like all of our shrimp) and not super prolific as far as I know. People who had them might have lost them not sure.

Think it might be a pipe dream Mick!! Sure many of us would love to keep them but don't think we'll ever see them available in Australia.

I have heard the best results are found my following "the rule of 8" = pH8, gH8 and temp 28c. I cant wait for these to become more readily available in Oz!

I've been interested in these shrimp since they first popped up overseas. They are still extremely finicky to keep and fragile in transport ect The only species which I've seen reports for anyone have moderate success with is the cardinal. I think it may be some time before some breeders are able to stabilise their lines, and then they will likely become available in Australia.

Speaking of sulawesi shrimp, there was a paper published recently on three new species of Caridina that look remarkably similar to our zebras and the barney springs shrimp (pictures in the paper, which also appear in the latest Amazonas magazine). If anyone wants a copy of the paper, shoot me a PM.

• 4 weeks later...

In regards to getting in trouble from the law for having them...... Just say you found them :)

Isn't there the Salty Shrimp mineral specific for these guys? From memory the ph is 7.5. Can't wait for these to start popping up.. the harlequin shrimp has been a long time favorite of mine.. even more than pintos!

Have to agree, these are my favourite too! :encouragement: There are two versions of the Sulawesi minerals, there's a 7.5 & an 8.5, have to do some more research on their WP to know for sure what species the different minerals are for. :D

Wow those harlequins look like my kinda shrimp. Would moss's grow any good in the higher pH as most plants begin to struggle in the harder waters dont they?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/29/2014 at 5:01 AM, FishBeast said:

In regards to getting in trouble from the law for having them...... Just say you found them :)

Last time it rained i saw a hundred of them swimming down the gutter so i grabbed some, honest sir thats how i got them lol! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So these are now imported legally?

no there not what is avalible here is what is here there coming more avalible on the market now

no there not what is avalible here is what is here there coming more avalible on the market now