New Sump

newbreed

Hi All,

Now I am not handy in any way, shape or form. But after reading this thread from Squiggle (http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/5983-Fixing-a-3ft-tank-amp-making-it-a-sump-filter?highlight=sump)

I had to give it a go.

I am setting up a rack and needed a sump. Don't look too close as it's not the neatest work.

I have put in gutter guard to stop K1 and eggcrate is in now too!

[ATTACH]6586[/ATTACH]

Water test tomorrow!!!

Thanks heaps Squiggle for your thread and advice.

post-3161-13990986555_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Great work Newbreed!

I'm thinking of having a go at building a sump after reading Squiggles thread too, and also drilling and plumbing the tanks as per Deans threads, but I just have a few questions.

1) I've never ran a sump before and don't quite understand how the sump doesn't overflow if the power goes out.

& 2) I'll have 4 x 62cm x 36cm x 36cm divided tanks on the rack, will a 62cm x 36cm x 36cm tank be ok to use for the sump?

I love seeing people give it a go & to answer your questions. First, if the power goes out only the water above the inlet & outlet fittings in the tank will drain back to the sump so you have to set the water level in the last section of the sump low enough to handle that amount of water but not too low that the pump start sucking air, I usually mark the upper & lower levels with a permanent marker. Second, with filtration I am a big believer in bigger is better, but generally you want the volume of the sump to be at least 1/3 the volume of the whole system, if not bigger(more room for substrate). This also helps with spare volume for power outages. From the sizes you given the sump will be only 1/4, a little small & more likely to overflow if the power goes out. I would suggest a little taller(45cm is better) & definitely longer(90cm or 3ft), hope this help! :thumbsu:

• Like 1

It sure has, thank you Squiggle. :-)

I'll add it to the list (I finally finished it last night after my 8th go at working out & checking the measurements for the timber lol) of everything I need to build and setup the rack and keep an eye out for a bigger tank. I was hoping 1 of the tanks I have hiding from my OH behind the shed would be ok to use, but I agree that bigger is better with filtration. Each section will have a dual bio sponge air filter running in it to.

Great work Jen!!

As Squiggs says, I have marked my absolute safe water level in the sump, in case of power outage.

The threads Jay has provided made it possible for me to make mine, if I can do it, you will be fine!!

Thanks Newbreed :-)

I can't wait till I finally have all the bits and pieces I need so I can start building it. It's going to take me months to get everything and finish it, but it'll be well worth the wait and I can start picking up things and doing bits here and there.

I did realize though, after I read Squiggles recommendation for the sump size, I'm going to have redesign the rack stand and cabinet so I can fit a 3ft sump in the bottom. I'll do that after I find a 3ft before I work out how much timber I'll need and the lengths to cut them. Hopefully I get the plans right by the 9th or maybe 10th time since I decided to go bigger and not the 15th or 20th lol

• Like 1