Several questions especially while the forum is being reorganised

ineke

• HOF Member

I have several questions that I have had trouble finding answers too by myself despite using our search engine.

1) Neocaridinia species was reclassified to Neocaridinia Davidi but we still have them under Heteropoda

2)in the library we do not have Blue Velvet under Neocaridinia only variety Blue which I believe is the Blue from Chocolate

3) again in the library we don't seem to have a proper recommended care chart with recommended best temperature or even water conditions - even in water parameter subsection it takes a lot of searching to find basic care parameters . I think as a community we should have at the minimum a sticky but probably a proper care sheet for our different shrimp. I know we can search and go through a heap of members posts but I think it would be great to have an easy to find care " guide" to help new members or members who are changing to a different type of shrimp. I have been searching for a few days to find what temp would be best to have my tanks during winter, we have spoken a lot about the hot summer but when resetting our thermostats what are the recommended temps for different varieties . I know a lot of WP's are different from breeder to breeder and often what works for one person may not work for another but a general range which is easy to find would be very helpful. I know a lot of the answers to these questions but trying to find the answers looking through the eyes of a newcomer is a bit daunting.

If I have missed these important issues on the site then a new person would also miss them. I thought we had a good guide on here but can't find it. I have a great picture guide with temp etc but I thought I got it on our site but can't find it here. I don't know if I can put the chart on here as I don't know where I got it if not here? Don't think there is a copyright on it but not sure.

anyway I throw this open for discussion and ask that you be gentle with me if it is in fact easy to find information and I just can't find it. I will only claim a seniors moment lasting a week if its is clear and easy to find:help:

• HOF Member

Just adding to my post the chart I have with the pictures of different types and water parameters comes from the Shrimp Keeping site not ours. There doesn't appear to be a copy right on it but if we can gather the info that we are happy with - some of their temp ranges seem a bit different to what we usually say - it wouldn't be hard to make up a chart of our own. I would be willing to give it a try but I may need to ask permission from some of our members to use their shrimp pictures of breeds types I don't have - Tigers, natives and different colour crystals and cherries. I have quite a few but not all. :beer:

You are right that Heteropoda has been reclassified as Davidii, the only problem I see with your question is that most of the threads were written before the reclassification.

I have been researching the cherry family tree & there are four way to achieve the "blue" cherry & the original "blue velvet" was created from carbon rili, this would be quite confusing to the newer members so keeping it as blue cherry would probably be a lot easier for that. I am hoping to get a version out on the forum in the next week or two, for peer review, then I will go back & make a final version for everyone to reference. :D

As for your last question, all shrimp should always be kept between 22-24deg. Again, I am working on a comprehensive list of basic WP for all shrimp, although I am having some problems with native species as I only keep Zebs :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggs I just thought while all the reorganising is going on we could update and change some of these things to make it easier for people to find the answers. As I said I have a great chart that has pictures and WP's and I have been searching our site to find it but now see it wasn't from us at all so the searching was invain!

It's good that you are working on a chart I knew you were doing the family tree of Cherry varieties but didn't know you were doing a water parameter chart as well- that's great. I am only asking these questions to help improve accessibility to the information . I think it's all here just spread out in too many posts so getting it sorted and easy to access like you are doing is great.

Completely agree Ineke, I haven't mentioned the WP chart as I'm really busy at work & it's taking longer than expected but I will make it a sticky when it is finally finished, same as the family tree. :D

As for your last question' date=' all shrimp should always be kept between 22-24deg. Again, I am working on a comprehensive list of basic WP for all shrimp, although I am having some problems with native species as I only keep Zebs :encouragement:[/quote']

Its depends on what the native species is. Zebs generally don't like it too hot but my riffles dont seem to mind 30*C. Likewise Parataya seem really hardy, other caridina less so.

Yeah the natives are a bit tricky as we haven't been as captivated by them as long as the other Caridina spp or Neocaridina spp. What I might do is start a thread specifically for WP of different sp & variations that people can add to, sort of like Oz's food threads. :encouragement: